mistertripps

Winter Wheels and Tires

I've seen a lot of different mentions of switching to winter tires and wondered how important that is for the NOVA area -- coming from Atlanta, we didn't really have to worry about it. Fortunately, I don't have to use my car(s) for daily commuting, so I'd only be out for groceries and meets and fun for the most part.

Stanley - 2006 MINI Cooper S

Carmen - 2008 MINI Clubman S - The LEGO MINI

I drove a 380 rwhp GTO 6 speed around for the last 3 winters on summer tires with no issues. Working at the airport I have to make it to work no matter what the conditions are. Also had my 2006 Cooper S with engine package at the end of the last went in snow on runflats with no issue's. I'm putting stock wheels with runflats back on for winter because my other tires are street legal auto X tires.

Depends on your driving in snow, I learnt to drive in Boston and did 5 winters in Philadephia as well so I'm used to it.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While I was growing up living north of Chicago, my parents always put snow tires on during the winter (or chains back in the day). But then when I moved back there for a few years as an adult, I never switched to snow tires. I had a Jeep, but it had crappy small stock tires. I think the winters up there were a lot worse than the DC area, I would vote to not worry about it. Use that money for more exciting mods! lol

- Cindy B.

Carmen: 2008 MCS Clubman CR

My opinion is a little different than those above.

The first and most important question is: what tires do you have now?

If you have all-seasons (runflat or not), you should be OK. You will of course have to drive much more cautiously when we get a heavier snow (we usually get one or two "decent" snows per winter, where it sticks and lasts a day or two), but you'll be able to get around OK.

If you have summer tires, you should consider getting a second set for the winter. You could just get all-seasons for your second set... but if you're going through the hassle of having 2 sets, why settle for all-seasons? Real snow tires absolutely trounce all-seasons when the white stuff falls.

The main issue with using summer tires over the winter isn't just their absolutely abysmal snow traction, but it's also that they generally aren't designed for temperatures below 40 F. As soon as the temperature drops towards freezing, the rubber compounds in most summer tires stiffens up, and it feels like you are driving on bricks. Even on dry pavement, their performance will suffer tremendously in cold temperatures.

Since I'm particular about wanting summer performance tires for 3 out of 4 seasons (I don't like all-seasons because they are always a compromise), I have 2 sets, and I swap them out at the ends of every winter. Your driving choices may lean towards all-seasons though, and that's fine too!

I'll say one thing about snow tires though... the confidence it brings, when you're driving on 495 in a heavy snowstorm, and you see abandoned and/or wrecked SUVs littering the shoulders & medians... is quite satisfying. :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I'll chime in with Edge, depending on what kind of summer tire you have, you could very well find yourself driving around on concrete tires when the weather turns cold :)

Both when I visited my dad (up north of Pittsburgh) and last week or so with the low night temps the performance of my tires dropped off dramatically (an "Extreme" summer compound, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec ... they apparently felt a shorter name just wouldn't cut it).

It's why I kept my stock wheels with all seasons around; an easy change once the weather required it. Which seems like it will be soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's why I kept my stock wheels with all seasons around; an easy change once the weather required it. Which seems like it will be soon.
Makes sense if you already have them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here... when your all-seasons eventually wear out from winter use, will you replace them with new all-seasons or will you buy snow tires? :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Makes sense if you already have them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here... when your all-seasons eventually wear out from winter use, will you replace them with new all-seasons or will you buy snow tires? :smile:

Yeah, I figure running the stock tires 'til their dead made more sense then buying a new set :)

Probably go with a winter tire, the question will end up being RFT or not. Winter, to me, is the best time of year to have RFTs if you're going to have them. Who wants to be stuck on 495 in 20 degree weather ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok so I drove Tigger in the snow Friday night and discovered that it wasn't fun. After I dug the car out today I can see that I have some sort of 17" BF Goodrich Performance tires that stink in the snow. These are the tires that were on the car when I bought it from Carmax last Jan. They appear to have plenty of tread, but it's not the right tire for now.

I managed last year since we hardly had any snow, but I think this year may be worse.

I think I'd like to do what Edge does and just get some winter tires and swap them out. I don't know what's good and what's not, I don't know if I can just go to any tire place or do should I go someplace specific?

I need help. Tigger is my only car and I am kind of scared driving and getting caught in the snow now after last Fri night.

What do winter tires cost and is it expensive to change them out? Where's a good place to get them? I have lots of questions.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Ali,

There are a myriad of choices, and the "right one" depends on you, your needs, how your MINI is equipped (primarily brake size, both now and in the future... if you ever decide to get larger brakes), and your budget. I'll be happy to talk with you directly and discuss your situation if you like. :wavey:

Haemish.

Quick note! If you have the JCW brakes or an aftermarket Big Brake Kit, you'll need to ensure that whatever wheels you purchase have adequate clearance! I have a set of 16" wheels for Winter for my R53, but they're one of the few if not the only ones that MINI says can fit the JCW brakes.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com