MELO-R56

Tuning Questions-09 R56 MCS

Hey everyone.

I'm interested in some performance mods, and after reading several forums on NAM, I have some questions for any DCMM members that have tuning experience.

I currently have a catback exhaust (Invidia Q300) and am looking to add a few more performance mods. There seems to be a lot of debate about the benefits of an intake on the n14 engine. It seems like a cool mod, but I understand that it doesn't add much for performance, more like a cool way to hear more noise from the BOV and to add some flair to your engine bay.

Is it possible to add the JCW intake to the n14 engine? Any benefit to this? I'm ultimately looking for bang for buck, not just cool looks.

Anyone have experience with the NM Engineering ECU Tuning? $500 and approx 25-30 hp gains and 30-35 ft lbs gain on stock engine seems like a better choice than an intake that just adds noise and a debatable small hp gain.

Lastly, anyone have tuning experiences with our local vendors? I've heard a few folks have gone to P-Tuning in Manassass with some good experiences. Again, looking for bang for buck with a few mods. Not looking to go over the top and spend a fortune. Our MINIs are already pretty RAD! Just interested in unlocking some of the performance that is hiding in my engine bay.

Thanks! :rock:

2009 Mellow Yellow MCS, JCW Aero Package, JCW intake, JCW Steering Wheel, NM Engineering strut tower brace, Nvidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, ST XTA Coilovers, Madness Motorworks 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, GP2 Rear Diffuser, Powerflex front control arm bushings, R112 Black Challenge Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires

Hey bud

I just installed the NM Enginnering power module on my F56 MCS and my personal butt dyno approves! Dyno charts on a similar car registered 22bhp on low and 41bhp on high setting. Took me 15 minutes to install and I usually hate working under the bonnet. I bought it online via ECS tuning for under $400.

Hope you find one for your R56. :motor:

2015 Volcanic Orange Mini Cooper S F56

6MT, Premium, Cold Weather, Media, LED, HUD

NM Engineering Power module

Borla Touring axle back exhaust

JCW style bonnet stripes

Steve,

P-tuning doesn't do any software mod for mini. Another place to check is Mach V, which is out in Sterling. I have also heard a lot of good things about doing the stage 1 Manic mini tune:

http://www.minidynamics.com/Manic-MINI-Stage-1-Tune-p/mini-stage1-manic-tune.htm

From bang for buck perspective, I think this is very high on the list. BTW let me know if you ever want a JCW intake. I am thinking about swapping it out with a K&N so we can definitely work something out.

D

+1 on the manic, you've been in my stage 2

HOONIGAN

Manic stage 2+, H&R springs, H-Sport 19mm sway bar, K&N intake, Forge Bov, Miltek downpipe, Mini Challenge Exhaust, Alta hotside pipe, Noname Intercooler, Cravenspeed short shifter, Sneed4speed Billyclub, Sneed4speed Aero Package, Sneed4speed

ETR, Sneed4speed track rotors, Carbontech AX6 brake pads

First, nice shot at Nick.

As for CAI, if you want to do the JCW definitely look to get it off someone doing a switch as like all OEM parts they a costly from the dealer. Bank for your buck would be buying a third party one.

Just adding a CAI is not going to give you huge gains, but creating less restrictive air flow is always a good thing. Most of the poor comments I read are from people thinking a CAI will add 10hp which is an unrealistic expectation.

You have already upgraded your exhaust already so a CAI is a good companion, better flow in requires better flow out to maximize results. A CAI and modest tune to go with your exhaust you have a stage 1 and the best bang for you buck.

My personal opinion after that, so its worth nothing, lol. Focus on suspension and braking before any power adders past stage 1. Upgrading the rear sway bar is a popular one to gain performance at a good price point. for braking better pads and rotters no need to go overboard with upgraded calipers.

Best of luck.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Denny.

Definitely interested in the JCW intake. Would that work on my n14 engine since you have the n18?

2009 Mellow Yellow MCS, JCW Aero Package, JCW intake, JCW Steering Wheel, NM Engineering strut tower brace, Nvidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust, ST XTA Coilovers, Madness Motorworks 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, GP2 Rear Diffuser, Powerflex front control arm bushings, R112 Black Challenge Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires

Denny.

After doing some research, the n18 JCW intake airbox will not fit on my car. I'll be saving up for the n14 version, so thanks anyway!

Wow, that ECS Tuning CF intake is now at $900. Holy Moly!!

2k10 Mini Cooper S (R56) 6sp, Coilover suspension, K&N Intake, Alta hotside, Stoptech Rotors, 17" white wheels w/ Conti DW, and resonator delete, S42 turbo upgrade, upgraded intercooler, tuned 250whp.

2k9 Lexus RX350 AWD, Classic Metallic, Sirius radio.

2k8 Audi R8, 4.2, Silver Metallic, StaSis Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius radio (Totalled)

2k14 Audi R8 5.2 Suzuka Grey, Larini Exhaust, MPSS tires, Sirius, K&N Filters w/ silicoln sleeve and tuned.