TGGRRR (Ali)

parking on hills

Question. Our new house has a driveway on a hill. We're also across the street from a creek. When I first brought Tigger here I would park him in the driveway, put him in gear, set the ebrake and he would creak, slip a few inches and then stay. After a few days of parking like this I noticed he slipped more when I parked. Today luckily I was still in the car as he would creak, slip a few inches, creak, slip a few inches. He kept creaking and slipping several times till I put my foot on the brake. Started him up and put him on the street where it's level. If he was to keep slipping he would wind up in a tree or the creek.

I thought that being in gear alone should hold him. Is this just a slipping ebrake? The ebrake has given me issues in the past

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I would definitely get your emergency brake inspected. In theory, it should be enough to prevent your car rolling on every hill.

I too park in gear though, for added protection. On really steep hills, I tend to park in 6th gear instead of 1st, figuring the really tall gearing would make it even harder for gravity to do its thing if something happened to the parking brake.

In any case, I think an inspection of your ebrake handle and the bowden cables is warranted (in addition to the rear brakes themselves).

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I would definitely get your emergency brake inspected. In theory, it should be enough to prevent your car rolling on every hill.

I too park in gear though, for added protection. On really steep hills, I tend to park in 6th gear instead of 1st, figuring the really tall gearing would make it even harder for gravity to do its thing if something happened to the parking brake.

In any case, I think an inspection of your ebrake handle and the bowden cables is warranted (in addition to the rear brakes themselves).

OK, I'll get him to Justin

Tggrrr010.jpg

I park on a Hill, though I primarily use the ebrake and not in gear, I put a chock behind my tire.

For my house though, I back down my driveway (hill) and face upward when I park.

Maybe after I fix the eBrake. Right now he's slipping too bad to even risk leaving the car to chock the wheels. I would need Mark to chock them while I stay in the car.

Tggrrr010.jpg

On some cars the parking brake adjust by backing up and applying the parking brake. I do not know if that works for MINIs, but it is easy to try. Back up slowly and pull the hand brake up several times and see if the handle to the parking brake stays closer to the floor.