wahoo_shoe

Cracked rim...eff

Anyone have advice on picking up a new rim? Had a flat, went and got it checked out, it's apparently a cracked rim :banghead: Local shop is quoting me $313, which is killing me.

I guess it's a good thing a family event came up tomorrow preventing me from karting :frown:

Update: so it seems like this could possibly covered under the warranty (still covered) due to this being a safety issue. Calling MINI USA and we'll see...

Edited by wahoo_shoe

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe

bummer...sorry to hear about that wahoo. I'd try to find a replacement on ebay if that warranty doesn't come through.

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

So....mini update:

MINI is saying it won't be covered under warranty because I don't have the tire/wheel warranty, despite saying that the normal full warranty should cover everything except normal wear and tear parts (i.e. tires, clutch, filters, etc). I went round and round with MINI USA because the first women claimed that tires meant wheels/tires/rims as one. Talked to a higher up, they said the same thing until I pointed out that the warranty clearly states tires, NOT rims or wheels. Finally, she admits that MINI would cover it but only if the dealer determined it as a manufacturing defect. I called Sterling and Passport-Alex and both said that in no way would a wheel be replaced under warranty, crack/bend/etc. A car with barely 17k miles and a full year of warranty left doesn't do it for them I guess..

I've looked on Ebay/CL for the wheels and the lowest I've found is $213 (I have the 17" Pace Spoke.. this is the same wheel on the MINI site. I like these rims and I'm not sure I want to invest in a whole new set of rims when I have three good ones. Though, now I'm considering buying a cheap set of winter ones because I'm guessing a pot hole did this.

My local shop's $313 includes the rim, the tire re-mount, re-balance, and rotation of all four wheels (I'm due anyways). However, they can't seem to get the rim in from NY due to the weather. So, Clubby is just sitting until whenever I can get this fixed :frown:

Oh, and while on the phone with MINI USA, I found out my speakers won't be covered by warranty either, unless they completely fail

I won't lie, it gets really hard some days to not up and sell Clubby and get something that doesn't cost me a bunch of heartache and money to sit in my driveway daily (but hey, my insurance dropped again since it's not considered a "daily driver" since I metro every day! Silver lining somewhere :top:)

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe

This? looks the same to me. even has the same part number stamped on the back. Just need to keep your center cap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-COOPER-CLUBMAN-17-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-OEM-RIM-WHEEL-71264-/121238336974?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item1c3a5e35ce&vxp=mtr

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

I have. I talked to the shop and they rotated the tire valve away from the crack and suggested that I keep it full and limit trips to the grocery store as few as I can. They're working with me to figure something out and offered to fully document everything in case I want to try to get it covered until warranty.

Does anyone know if something like this will require a full alignment? The shop thought that while they would suggest it normally just due to the new wheel, they thought that since I only had 17k, they said a rotation and then monitoring tire wear would probably be the best bet rather than investing into a full alignment right off the bat.

Go Wahoos!

Anytime you have an impact that damages a wheel getting an alignment is a good idea. Besides, it only costs about $90. (at least at York Automotive in Mt Airy.)

If it breaks a wheel it could easily have bent another suspension component.

No matter where you go, there you are!