TGGRRR (Ali)

DC Photo Shoot morning

Start time 8:00AM

Location Tidal Basin Paddle boat parking lot

In case of rain or a bad storm we will move to either the next day or the next weekend.

The plan is to meet at 8:00AM at the parking lot across from the Jefferson Memorial

Tidal Basin Paddle Boats

1501 Maine Ave SW

Washington, DC 20024

Please be on time as we want to work quickly for our two DC locations to get the shots before the lots fill up.

After the Tidal Basin we'll drive to 14th street where there is on street parking about a block from the Monument. If parking is available we'll park the cars on 14th, get out and shoot them with the Washington Monument in the background.

From there we're moving on to the Capital to shoot from the parking areas on the roads leading up to it. We can park on either Maryland Ave or Pennsylvania Ave.

At this location it could be fun to stage some photographers inside the rotary in front of the Capital and shoot a few MINIs as they drive by.

From there we'll go to the Virginia side to Gravelly Point Park which is off of the GW Parkway just north of the Airport. If the park isn't too crowded we can get some shots of the MINIs with the Capital and Washington Monument in the background. We might even be able to set up the cars so that there is a big old Jet flying overhead. This park can get really crowded so we'll need to play it by ear when we get there.

Then out to lunch!!!

I made reservations for 11:30 at Teaism in Old Town Alexandria, we have free parking options in garages there.

682 N St Asaph Street • Alexandria, VA 22314

Here's a link to their menu, it's a fun and funky atmosphere. They are letting us order off of the menu.

https://www.teaism.com/images/restaurant/view_menu/42_1384272942_oldtownmenuab1113.pdf

You do not need a camera to participate. I'll have my camera and I'm sure other's will bring theirs. What we need are MINIs!!!!

I plan to convert some of the DC images into banners for the forum header. I'll put all of the images out online where people can access and download them.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Mark and I went out and explored some potential sites for the Virginia side of the shoot. What we found was that Gravely park has potential as long as it's not crowded. There are some areas where we can park a few MINIs and get the Washington Monument and the Capital in the shot but they are of course restricted parking spots so we'll just need to park and move quickly. As a back up we even found some areas where the cars could be driving through the lot and we can get the shot. Another thing that should be fun is that we can park a few MINIs under the flight path of incoming aircraft and hopefully get a big jet flying overhead.

I think this park gives us a ton of options as long as it's not too crowded. Hopefully we'll be early enough to beat the crowds

Tggrrr010.jpg

Today Mark and I scoped out the area near the Capital Building. This is going to work really well if there are not too many people around. We noticed a better area to shoot the cars with the Monument as 14th street is kind of close, so we'll use one of the other cross streets that is a lower number and closer to the Capital.

As we get closer to the date I'll want to get a better idea of a count of people so that I can pick an appropriate restaurant. Right now I'm thinking of eating in Old Town Alexandria. There's a free garage near Teaism, but it's fairly small and so is the restaurant. If the group grows we'll need a larger restaurant and may not find free parking, or we don't use Old Town to eat.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Hope this isn't too much of a newbie question, but when we arrive will we be told where to park to make the picture pretty, or just park wherever?

Have no fear, I will boss everyone around and make sure the cars are aligned properly. As Mark and explore the run we plan where we will put the cars, where the photographer will stand and how we will do the shoot. We've also planned a moving shoot at the rotary by the capital and will be giving very clear instruction on where to go.

For the starting location I spied a location that is permit parking only but if we back the cars in we'll get the tidal basin and monument in the background. I figure it's early on a Sat morning so we should be fine with the permit spots.

A non MINI driving photographer friend of mine wants to come along so if you guys see a Mercedes be nice

:biggrin:

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm pretty sure a photographer friend of mine is coming with his Mercedes, be nice :biggrin:

I know you guys will be, but mostly I wanted you to know so that we don't lose him as we navigate through the city. I think it's an SLK, a 2 seater convertible, his name is Bill

Funny how I introduce the car first

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm carefully watching the weather. Right now Saturday is looking OK and Sunday is looking like a storm. I will call this off if we are going to have any form of dangerous weather.

If any of the weather geeks want to weigh in, feel free :biggrin:

Hoping that we're good for Saturday

Tggrrr010.jpg

If any of the weather geeks want to weigh in, feel free :biggrin:

I think we'll be able to get it done... the various forecasts I'm looking at seem to all put some precipitation for Saturday evening. The only one that doesn't is the National Weather Service, and their forecast puts a low 30% chance of rain for Saturday.

Don't expect any sun... it will likely be a cloudy morning... but I think we'll get it done.

Obviously the forecast is subject to change between now and then... but as of the time I'm posting this, it's looking good.

I think we'll be able to get it done... the various forecasts I'm looking at seem to all put some precipitation for Saturday evening. The only one that doesn't is the National Weather Service, and their forecast puts a low 30% chance of rain for Saturday.

Don't expect any sun... it will likely be a cloudy morning... but I think we'll get it done.

Obviously the forecast is subject to change between now and then... but as of the time I'm posting this, it's looking good.

Thanks Mike

Clouds are awesome for photography! :top:

Tggrrr010.jpg