TGGRRR (Ali)

How to pick a torque wrench

Get a simple click type torque wrench. Forget the fancy digital read outs and I'm personally not a fan of needle type. I've had my Craftsman click type since high school.

Craig went and bought me a nice socket, so now I just need to get to Sears and get that torque wrench

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Look for sales at Sears, or go to Harbor Freight, which has a store in Woodbridge and is opening a new store in Chantilly or Sterling sometime soon.

Harbor freight in Chantilly is open now.

Ali - just about any torque wrench that is rated for up to 100 ft/lbs will be adequate for what you are looking for. Like Haemish, I like my Craftsman because they'll replace it under warranty, it'll go up to 150 ft/lbs and I like the way it's set.

You say you know how to use one? Lots of people think they do but then, when they actually use it, they don't. When applying torque, it's got to be done is a smooth, steady effort, not the huge jerking motion and when the tool indicates the proper torque is reached (a loud click or on a dial indicator) STOP! Don't keep adding torque (you bought it and you are using it to set a preset amount of tension on the fastener. Personally, I always back off at the click and then, with a smooth and stead effort, I apply torque until it clicks again. I'm not adding any more torque, I'm just making sure it's good.

Also - NEVER loosen a torqued fastener with a torque wrench!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Did not know that, learn something new every day.

Also +1 on the craftsman torque wrench. Give ebay a go, I picked up my craftsman digitork (clicky wrench) for about 1/3 retail.

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You say you know how to use one? Lots of people think they do but then, when they actually use it, they don't. When applying torque, it's got to be done is a smooth, steady effort, not the huge jerking motion and when the tool indicates the proper torque is reached (a loud click or on a dial indicator) STOP! Don't keep adding torque (you bought it and you are using it to set a preset amount of tension on the fastener. Personally, I always back off at the click and then, with a smooth and stead effort, I apply torque until it clicks again. I'm not adding any more torque, I'm just making sure it's good.

Marty taught me when we installed the STDs and he had me do it and talked me through the whole thing.

Did not know that, learn something new every day.

Also +1 on the craftsman torque wrench. Give ebay a go, I picked up my craftsman digitork (clicky wrench) for about 1/3 retail.

I'll go look, since I have been too busy to get my butt into Sears

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I got lazy (hate going to stores), went to Amazon and bought a torque wrench. it's a Pittsburge Professional 1/2" Drive click stop Torque Wrench. It was $25

I have named him Clicky :biggrin:

I think you just wanted to avoid buying Edge that beer!

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I got lazy (hate going to stores), went to Amazon and bought a torque wrench. it's a Pittsburge Professional 1/2" Drive click stop Torque Wrench. It was $25

I have named him Clicky :biggrin:

What is the torque range? Did you introduce Clicky to Rob yet?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com