TGGRRR (Ali)

Care of a cabrio top

I'm not sure how many of you treat your tops, but I feel it's important. So if you're not doing it, it's easy and I figured I'd share how.

The most important is you need a really sunny day that will be over 70 degrees and no chance of rain. You'll need time at least an hour or two so that the initial application is cured, but you shouldn't take the top down for at least 6 hours so that the cure is good.

Based on my research the two best brands I've found are Formula 303 and Ragg Top, both are used by a lot of high end car owners, so I feel safe with them. One year I used the Griott's brand and was not impressed. This time I used the kit by Formula 303

Start off with washing the top. I used a natural brush and the Formula 303 top cleaner. You want to really get it clean so after washing it, I let it dry and then went over it with masking tape to take off all of the brush hairs and any dust.

Mask off the car. I found a method that worked really well this time. You really can't mask too much because if the protectant gets on the glass or paint it's REALLY a pain to get off (yes I learned this the hard way)

I used sheets and masking tape and made myself a little Tigger fort (see pics attached). I have dogs, if you have dogs you'll find that there is no fabric in the house without dog hairs, soooo out came the masking tape again to get the dog hairs off of the top since the sheets had hairs on them. But, the paint and glass was well protected.

Once the paint and glass was fully protected I checked the top and it was fully dry. Now it was time to protect, I used Formula 303 again. Using sweeping motions you get a light but thorough coat all over the fabric. I like to add a second coat so I gave it about 15 minutes and when it was pretty dry, I added a second coat. You don't want to saturate the top, just a light coat that has no gaps, be sure to overlay as you go, let it dry and repeat. You can go three coats if you have enough product.

I also kept a microfiber in my hand just in case I got some on the car. Sure enough, the boot under the window wasn't protected as well as I should have and I got some on the paint. It's easy to get the stuff off if you catch it right away, so I sprayed, wiped, and moved on. Next time I'll tape paper across the boot.

Once it's done, you can remove the protectant sheets and tape and then sit the car in the sun to dry and cure. They say it takes a good 6 hours to cure, so don't open the top or expose it to water during that time.

I hope this helps, and I hope you're all doing this. It can really extend the life of your top. Tigger is on his second one, and I know this one won't be covered under warranty so I'm going to make it last.

I was thinking if anyone ever wanted to do a top treating day, I'd be glad to help out. But it could be hard to plan because it's so weather dependent.

59cedb64a7bc1_2012-05-1311_28_53.jpg.f5e65a786ab25499b6bab4de6cffe4a4.jpg

59cedb64a1e06_2012-05-1311_28_43.jpg.d1812062bba3c10dfdbf069ecf2302cd.jpg

59cedb64a7bc1_2012-05-1311_28_53.jpg.f5e65a786ab25499b6bab4de6cffe4a4.jpg

59cedb64a1e06_2012-05-1311_28_43.jpg.d1812062bba3c10dfdbf069ecf2302cd.jpg

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I have a spray soap that is specific for the soft top that I use when I wash up. Seems to have been working pretty well. Might look into this as a more long term treatment.

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

Steve - When water gets on your top, does it bead up? If it doesn't you should probably consider protecting it. These tops don't last forever so the protectant really helps.

Craig - I'd be happy to come over and spray my protectant all over Merlin's top if you like :biggrin:

Tggrrr010.jpg

Let's raise this thread from the grave...:saint:

Cabrio's and car washes. Am I going to wreck the top if I take it though an Embasy Autowash? It isn't touchless.

Cabrios cannot go through car washes. I wouldn't even take it through a touchless.

I should add that I don't take cars through car washes (except a touchless when I'm really desperate). They just do too much damage. :frown:

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I should add that I don't take cars through car washes (except a touchless when I'm really desperate). They just do too much damage. :frown:

I seconds this, I had it in the notes for my service adviser at PMoA to not run it through. I was going to make a rear view mirror hanger that said it to. That I could put up as a reminder when I dropped it off, so you service guy pulling it around would not forget.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Thank you for this post ... I bought some Rag Top products (cleaner and protectant) and the soft brush... I haven't used them yet - only had the car a week and 5 days :D but I've been thinking about this subject.

I took my Mini in yesterday to Passport Alexandria for a car wash :( They use the wrong kind of car wash? :argh: I wrongly assumed they would do the right thing with the car :banghead:

There is no automatic car wash that is safe for a cabrio. I've used a high pressure hose on Tigger but mommy knows where to tickle him with pressure and where to back it off.

Since I wrote this I have determined that Ragg top is the best and won't use another brand.

I usually treat in the Fall, I can host a cabrio to treating day this fall!

Tggrrr010.jpg

There is no automatic car wash that is safe for a cabrio. I've used a high pressure hose on Tigger but mommy knows where to tickle him with pressure and where to back it off.

Since I wrote this I have determined that Ragg top is the best and won't use another brand.

I usually treat in the Fall, I can host a cabrio to treating day this fall!

THAT would be fun! :D:D

Me too, I'm in !

There is no automatic car wash that is safe for a cabrio.

Not saying it's recommended, but I'm not sure I agree with the "none are safe" statement. Some car washes know enough to turn off the brush that goes over the top for ragtops, for example.

We've run Bender through an automatic car wash w/out problems at least once that I'm aware of. We got the slightest bit of water coming it, but I could probably replicate it by putting a high pressure stream close to any car window.

I'm a RaggTopp guy myself.....use it my own convertibles as well as customers cars when I clean and treat. I keep it in stock on my retail shelves for all of you DIY'ers. I recommend a twice a year clean and treat - once in the spring and once in the fall.....possibly more often if the car sits outside or is a daily driver.

I don't recommend washing for a couple of reasons. First, any kind of car soap or shampoo will take a long time to rinse out of the fabric and second, most of your wash pads will tend to shed and leave lint and fuzz "stuck" to the top.

For light dust and debris, you can use a directional lint brush or one of those sticky roller things.

I'd be happy to host the cabrio cleaning party - maybe turn it into a fall detailing clinic since we didn't do one for the club this past spring.

- Darryl

Edited by Odds and Ends

I'd actually be very interested in a detailing clinic. Being that this is the first car I've owned that I cared about the way it looks and the longevity of those looks, I'd like to know how to keep it looking new as long as possible.

Don't ask how often I got my last car washed.....