Poison Ivy

Seeking a functional Shark Fin Antenna

Does anyone know of a functional shark fin antenna that works in place of the stock antenna? I've seen a few sites that have non-functional as well as the stubbie antenna to replace the alfalfa antenna.

I need a solution for both my 2nd gen and Geno's 1st gen who's entire antenna base needs to be replaced.

Signature.JPG

I've seen discussions about this over on NAM. Typically, the shark fin antenna is from another make/model vehicle and it's been grafted onto the MINI. Some of the problems were that the curve of the antenna base doesn't match the MINI roof and, the length of the antenna (especially if there's a sunroof involved) interferes with the rear hatch (for the R56 at least).

Keep in mind that there are other elements in play here. Catalina has the Factory NAV system and the OEM antenna isn't just a radio antenna, it also houses the SIRIUS and the GPS antenna for the NAV system. If you have more than just AM/FM radio, you are going to have to figure out a way to replace/incorporate those additional antennas into the new shark fin.

It might work to swap in a BMW antenna but then there's going to be the issue of the curvature of the base.

Nobody is making one of these for the MINI because it's going to be pretty darn expensive. Looking at the shark fin for the X5, the housing all by itself, no internals is over $150.00. Then you have to figure out if the guts of the current antenna will fit under it, have that done and then pay to have it properly mounted.... That's got the potential to be a $300+ mod just for aesthetics since it's not going to improve the performance of the associated systems.

I don't want to be the negative nelly there, I'm just laying it out there.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

BMW shark fin that goes on their 3 series might work. I've seen these on sale on ebay. . .do a search for "BMW Shark Fin OEM" to find the original working factory ones. . .might even be able to find one painted in your color.

Edit. . .i guess there are issues with the contour. You could re-contour the base but that could be tough getting it just right. As for the nav and everything else. . .are the guts still good in yours? You could swap the internals out/splice the wires. Guess the real question is how much fabrication do you want to do to get it right. And CMCVEAY is right, it's gonna cost.

Edited by elpollodiablo

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i got a fin on mine but it came with the car from the dealer. i saw a bmw 325 i that had a shark fin so i wonder if you can look at after market bmw fins. if i can recall is a price upgrade from the dealer.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

I think it will come down to just how much $$ and time anyone wants to put into this kind of project. If it's just AM/FM, it's probably not too hard. Adding OEM NAV and/or SAT RADIO, it starts getting tougher. I checked the part number and all of the BMW M and X series with Shark Fins use different antennas so it doesn't look like the internals of their antenna would work. There's a chance that with some time and epoxy, the internals of the MINI antenna could be removed and attached inside the fin cover that has been recontoured to fit the MINI roof line. Chris, do you have NAV or SAT Radio?

I think it will come down to just how much $$ and time anyone wants to put into this kind of project.

You hit the nail on the head. Anything can be done, if you have the cash to so it.

I was please with my replacement from MachV, not a fin, but very short, all metal, and blends well with the car.

Good luck on your shark hunt!

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

NAV

Would you mind posting a photo of your antenna? I love challenges and while the Shark Fin doesn't appeal to me, I'm interested in how it can be done.

i think if like carbon mini or one of the other companies made two different kinds one for sat,nav and the other for just standard that would be a good idea bc if you have the stock antenna i think it makes MINI's look like rc cars

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

If a vendor with a molding ability were interested, it actually wouldn't be too hard. They would be able to make the proper external dimensions to fit between the hatch and the sunroof, fit the contour of the roofline and then, internally, it would have the proper attachment point for the "guts" and the hardware to secure it to the roof.

Lot's of people like the OEM antenna or they just don't have an opinion but i'm like you, it's a bit much. When I picked Merlin up, I was waiting on the paperwork to be done and I went directly to the parts counter and picked up the OEM Stubby antenna. Some "A" hole broke that a few weeks ago and I now have a Craven Speed stubby with the Detroit tuned logo on it.

Hey craig I took the pictures but ran out of time to put them up I won't be able to put them up on the forum till later on in the week

yea i was thinking about this today what you could maybe do is run the antenna down the top part.

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

Edited by minime331

Catalina has the factory NAV and her GPS antenna is in the OEM antenna base. With that, it means figuring out a way to stuff that gear inside the shark fin. Do you mean run the antenna wires outside the enclosure and down into the hatch? If so, I've gotta say that would be butt-ugly. They should go through the factory opening. I think this could be a fun project but it ain't gonna be easy!

no inside then wrap the wires on the inside down or if the normal antenna has those connectors i guess you can just re connect them