ORazor

Stealth Stella Build

Have I mentioned how much I love you guys?

Do you all think that an 07 MCS JCW package sounds similar to a factory 09 JCW?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Stella" 2007 MCS, SS/B, Red Lounge Leather, WMW DV, NM Engineering TA, KIWI WIFI + Rev + KUDA

Have I mentioned how much I love you guys?

Do you all think that an 07 MCS JCW package sounds similar to a factory 09 JCW?

I get fuzzy on the years, but I think 07 is the first year of the hard top second gen, so they should be the same. If I'm wrong I know someone will correct me.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I get fuzzy on the years, but I think 07 is the first year of the hard top second gen, so they should be the same. If I'm wrong I know someone will correct me.
07 was indeed the first year of the hard to 2nd Gens... but I can't speak to the sound comparison being asked.

A 2nd Gen MCS with the JCW upgrade kit is not the same thing as a "Factory JCW". In 1st Gens, they were the same thing (same parts, same end results). The 2nd Gen Factory JCW is a completely different animal then the dealer installed JCW upgrade.

Now, they might sound similar, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison... but the parts involved (most especially in the engine itself) are very much different.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I wish I had paid better attention when I drove the 2007 MCS JCW. I've heard so many people say that they didn't like the sound of their aftermarket exhausts...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Stella" 2007 MCS, SS/B, Red Lounge Leather, WMW DV, NM Engineering TA, KIWI WIFI + Rev + KUDA

I wish I had paid better attention when I drove the 2007 MCS JCW. I've heard so many people say that they didn't like the sound of their aftermarket exhausts...

Yeah, the problem is that more sound from the rear end usually equates to more sound inside the car. The drone can be pretty bad. You can work with that though. If I were to do it all over again, I think I'd visit a local exhaust shop and have them drop my OEM exhaust and replace it with a slightly larger diameter pipe. It would have a resonator that's slightly larger than OEM and it would run back to a high quality muffler. I'd wrap the entire exhaust in Thermo-Tec wrap to retain the heat and help kill the sound and then I'd install heat resistant/sound insulation between the exhaust and the car - down the entire length. Overall, it would cost more than any aftermarket exhaust sold but from my experience, it wouldn't make as much noise inside the car and it would have an awesome exhaust note.

If you decide you want to take Celia up on that Boorla, I will offer my help in doing the install. If you want to do the exhaust wrap, it's easier to do before you put the exhaust in the car!

P.S. Edge is 100% correct, the 2nd Gen factory JCW and dealer installed JCW package are very different. When I was ordering Merlin, I was second guessing myself on the JCW option and Lona finally told me to order it because I'd be wishing I had later. It goes without saying but I have a very wise wife who knows me all too well and I am a happy camper with the JCW package.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Craig - that's extremely generous of you, as usual. For now, I'm cooling my jets on the exhaust/intake. Likely do Alta/NM TA/WMW DV, and call it good.

On a side note:

The SWMBO and I went out to VA wine country today, where they have those beautiful open windy roads at 55mph+. It was a damn near spiritual experience. Who knew that certain roads would make me love Stella even more!

Now, I'm sitting in a 3 hour class on Friday night... What a buzzkill!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The SWMBO and I went out to VA wine country today, where they have those beautiful open windy roads at 55mph+. It was a damn near spiritual experience. Who knew that certain roads would make me love Stella even more!

We know!!!! Whenever I drive Tigger on a fun road, I love him more :love:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

photo%252850%2529.JPG

Hey all - here it is - the KUDA mount, paired with the REV app on my iPhone. This way I have my boost gauge right where I wanted it. Also, great for the Waze app - the best open source GPS navigation app.

Kudos to the gents over at OXSpeed who did a great job with the install!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update:

With Craig's help (who am I kidding, he did all the work...), I was finally able to get the NM Eng Torque Arm installed on my car.

Honestly, I don't really notice much difference, much like the WMW Diverter Valve.

From reading NAM, both of those mods are great, but some people notice it more than others. I, apparently with both mods, notice it less than everyone else! However, I'm very pleased that I now have both the mods installed, and I think (placebo effect?) that the car accelerates just a little more smoothly now.

Again, special thanks to Craig for getting up on a Sunday morning and helping me out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should check out the Sema action network, should be right up your alley. They are our legal defense team against legislatures and dealerships that want to take advantage of unkowning customers.

Whats important to understand is that an intake and an exhaust cannot damage your MINI as long as they are installed properly, and with appropriate filter material.

This is a great way to start. Beyond that an Access port is a great way to squeeze extra horsepower out of your ride. They AP comes with tunes already loaded so your good to go from day one, however we offer tuning services remote and on site.

Hope this helps :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Improve the drive

http://www.oxspeed.com

(443) 377-3332

Wow - this is very cool. Thanks for the heads up about SEMA!

I think that new tires and the AP are the next steps for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey, if it hasn't been said enough - I'm still gonna say it again...

The absolute best "results per dollar" to be found in the 2nd Gen is a tune. I'm pretty sure I posted my numbers from the Dyno day. I do have an aftermarket intercooler (Forge) and intake (DoS) and I saw an increase of just over 20HP and 40ftlbs of torque. I know if for a fact because we did a pull on the dyno with and without the tune. It's unfortunate that I forgot to put the decals under the hood when I did the installs as I'm sure that would have gotten at least 10% more out of the parts and tune.

So, if you are standing there with the money burning a hole in your pocket and you can't decide between that sparkly new "gee whiz" exhaust and the access port, just ask yourself if you'd rather sound faster and more powerful or if you would actually rather BE faster and more powerful. Your answer will make the decision.

And, before I get dog piled with this. I'm only talking about 2nd Gen MINI's here and yes, intakes and exhausts CAN make a difference. If it's results you are looking for though, do the tune first because it can be adjusted to take advantage of the other parts. For reference, take a look at my stock tune numbers. They show very little difference from the OEM projections, even with the intake and IC; throw the tune on and it's not just a different ballgame, it's a different sport.

Oh - I almost forgot. I am a major proponent of making sure you have EVERYTHING you need to control that new power whether it's in the turns or at the stop box. Handling improvements (sway bar, tires etc.,) and brakes (whether just pads or a total upgrade) will make sure all of that new found power can be kept under control. It also goes without saying that I'm a firm believer is giving autocross a try just to learn how your car handles. The opportunity to see and hear just how your car talks to you in hard, sharp cornering is priceless, even if you just commute to work and never want to drive to the extreme limits.

Just my .02.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

The process is the same for all warranty repairs. After a problem is verified it's checked to see if its on list that requires puma autorazation. things like engine's turbo's DME's anyting expensive for the most part is on the list. If it is on the list (IE anything you would brake with the added stress of the access port) Puma will review the case and decied weather or not to approve. typically they will just approve the repair, but if the issue doesn't add up IE 30k, all regular, maintainence, no clogged oil lines, they might dig further. This is where you might find some trouble. what's important to understand that while it is possible to dig and find the amount of flashing thats been done to the ROM. what's more important is that when a fault is stored such as one that would be when the car or component went ka blowie a snap shot is taken. 02 reading maf hertz IAT oil temp.... and boost pressure. when they see that your at 18lbs they are going to know someting is up.

where does this leave you?..... I have no idea to be honest, I have never seen it go that far.

hope this helps.

P.S.I don't want to scare you the dealership is truly on your side on this one. they want the process to go smoothly get you in and get you out. the last thing they want to do is bother their district rep with good will or fight a puma battle. not to mention there are plenty of people with the AP that are problem free myself included

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Improve the drive

http://www.oxspeed.com

(443) 377-3332

It's unfortunate that I forgot to put the decals under the hood when I did the installs as I'm sure that would have gotten at least 10% more out of the parts and tune.

:rock:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL"