grmncrsnbr

Odd sound

So I recently noticed what sounds like an electric motor randomly running. I can hear in the passenger compartment with the air completely off and the cd player completely off. Sounds like a actuation motor or something, no idea what it could be for. Seems to be relatively random. Any ideas?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds like its coming from the passenger side front. It happens to often and is only on a short time I would think to be the fan. Not sure where the fuel pump is located. I should look into replacing the fuel filter soon as I dont know if that has ever been done on this car.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It could be the steering pump. They sometimes make quite a bit of noise on our 1st Gens.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

BLURs Engine Cooler Fan sounds like she is about to transform or something. I kinda chuckle when I hear it sometimes. I think of it as my bad a$$ BLUR recooperating after a long day motoring. LOL

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

LOL nice, this happens even when the car is just started up. From what I can hell I only hear it while driving, need to check it out more. Think my clutch is starting to go as well which is no bueno.

First gens have a clutch issue (or so I was told) they replaced mine under warranty at 30,000 miles. They told me they gave me the new and improved clutch. I'm now at 65,000 and it's still good.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Do you have factory nav? If so, and it's DVD based, you might be hearing the drive spinning up from time to time?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Do you have factory nav? If so, and it's DVD based, you might be hearing the drive spinning up from time to time?
BINGO! Alan, I think you just hit the nail on the head. I totally forgot about that... it's ironic, since I too have a 2005 with the factory Nav. I'm so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore. :)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

BINGO! Alan, I think you just hit the nail on the head. I totally forgot about that... it's ironic, since I too have a 2005 with the factory Nav. I'm so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore. :)

Who's all smart today??? YAY Alan !! :idea:

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Who's all smart today??? YAY Alan !! :idea:

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

LOL, ...and I don't even have factory nav. But, I have studied A LOT of the diagrams for the various systems in the MINI, so I know where most things are that have moving parts like that which might produce that noise :biggrin:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

And you're a geek :D
Takes one to know one....

er.. correction - Takes one to motor with one! :rofl:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com