cmcveay

Luray Caverns Run

Okay everyone, after much debate, more than just a couple trips to check the route and then a little procrastinating on my part, I've settled on a date.

What: A great run out to Luray Caverns

When: October 9th, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Where: 15201 Washington Avenue, Haymarket VA 20169 (behind the sheetz, in the Bloom Parking lot)

Who: Really? Everyone!

Lona and I went out and did the last route check two weeks ago and the route really was awesome with lots of new pavement, awesome twisties and great scenery. By this time in October, the trees will just be starting to hit their fall colors so we could have some even prettier foliage.

This run will be different than past DCMM events as this is going to be a "Destination" event - it's a one-way trip. Once we arrive at the parking lot for Luray Caverns, we'll have route sheets that you can use to visit a covered bridge, an English pub, a neat little local diner or you can visit the caverns or the maze. There's also a neat automotive museum on the property.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Ann, There's really no need for the map or the iPad unless you'll use them to get back home. I'll be handing out a route sheet at the meeting point and we'll all motor together unless all of the yes and maybe RSVP's show up and then, we might need to make a second group. For now though, the plan is to have one group.

If you have radios to bring, please do so and we'll be on channel 7/21. If you don't have a radio, we'll have spares with us to share.

The route is about 70 miles and we'll have one stop at about the 1/2 way point so plan on getting to Luray at about 1 p.m., maybe just a little bit earlier.

Since I'll be leading this run and the car (as of now) only has 46 miles on it, the pace will be very legal and it has the potential to be very, very scenic.

We look forward to your company on Sunday!

Hopefully. Some of us are heading up to Marker-Miller Orchard for their Apple Festival weekend on Saturday. I'm hoping I can work things out to stay up in that area and head down to Luray to meet up with y'all on Sunday.

It's a beautiful area, you should find plenty to do for the weekend

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

48 hours until we head out on this adventure. If the "maybe" RSVP's could update their status, it'll help me figure out how many route sheets we'll need.

Thanks everyone!

48 hours until we head out on this adventure. If the "maybe" RSVP's could update their status, it'll help me figure out how many route sheets we'll need.

Thanks everyone!

Done. (at least for me)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Merlin is getting his first wash/wax on Saturday. He's got to be ready for his "coming out"...

hmmmm, I have so many smart a$$ remarks but I'll refrain from raining on Merlin's "parade". <3

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

I'm sure many of them involved the use of the word "closet" and such nonsense. When the limo picks you up this evening, you can decide then if you'd like to continue with your nonsense and smart a$$ remarks.. :)

Tammy (TechTV182) - if you have portable radios, please bring them but if you don't have any, many of us have spares that we can loan out. I think Lona and I will be bringing all four of ours so give either of us a shout and we'll make sure you are taken care of.

Otherwise, the required items are: Full tank of gas, big smiles, a sense of humor and fresh glazed donuts for everyone... Okay, maybe not the donuts but the sense of humor, smiles and full tank of gas are very important. I think this might be DCMM's first run with a Countryman so that makes it a very, very special event. I do apologize to you, my original route had a couple of miles of gravel road but we've found a way around that so you won't get to use that "ALL 4" option just yet.

PM or email me if you have any specific questions or concerns and we look forward to meeting you for your first event!

Thanks to everyone that's RSVP'd over the last couple of days, it's always nice to have a reasonably accurate headcount before we get to the run start.

A couple of notes to share, just so we can have more fun on this run.

The safety of our club members and other drivers is paramount so please, please, please, keep that in mind when we get out on the road. Although I won't say that we absolutely will not exceed the posted legal speed limits, I will be doing my very best to adhere to them for the safety of everyone involved.

If this is your first event or, if you are the least bit nervous about this run, please start as close to the front of the group as is possible. I will be the run leader and if my signature didn't give it away, I'll be in a Midnight Black (Chili red roof and mirror caps) Clubman so park near me - backed into your parking spot - and you'll be near the front of the group. Because this will be such a large group, the farther back you are, the more opportunity there is for a little more "spirited" driving because there will be times that we get broken up.

Bring your radios if you have them, we'll be on channel 7/21. We will be calling out turns, road hazards and other information. If you don't have radios, find a board member (red name tags) and we'll see if anyone has extras to share - we usually do.

We are planning on having a couple of "Kodak moments" along the way. We won't be stopping for them, we'll be the Kodak moment as there this route is set up so that other members can get ahead of us and get shots of us motoring by them. We hope to turn this into an article for MC2 Magazine or at least post the photo's for everyone to share!

We'll be parking 20+ cars in the parking lot for our "comfort stop" in Front Royal. When we pull in, please park as close to the car in front of you as you can. The stopping point has a rather large unlined area in front and another good sized lot to the right. Optimize the use of parking space by parking smart so we can all get in, get parked and take care of business.

The route is just over 70 miles total and the run will end at Luray caverns. There are several ways to get home afterward and there are lots of things to do in the general vicinity of Luray for those who would like to stay and visit. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask and we'll do our best to get you answers.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to seeing all of you out there!

Thanks for everything that you're doing Craig, :congrats: I'm really looking forward to this run and it looks like we're going to have amazing weather for it. :marshmellow:

Tigger will be riding topless :rock:

:motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Oh, I know this is an important element for many of you. The nearest Starbucks is just over a mile away and it's at:

7375 Atlas Walk Way

Bldg. G

Gainesville, VA 201552992

571-248-8830