GreenCactus

How dark should I tint?

I want to get Cricket's windows tinted, but want to stay at least sort of legal.

I live in DC and their tint laws are pretty strict...

Front windows can be no more than 70% and rear no more than 50%... BUT, they no longer do vehicle safety inspections (only emissions). I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over in DC for illegal tint, so I'm not too worried about meeting their requirements.

Virginia law is no more than 35% in the front and 50% in the back

Maryland law is no more than 50% all the around.

What would you do?

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Virginia law is no more than 35% in the front and 50% in the back
I like 35% all around. Looks great, and you can still see out. Not legal for VA, though. Max on front windows is 50%.
Dan is correct. Laura, you had it backwards. VA's law is no more than 50% on the front passenger windows, and 35% on the rear passenger and boot/trunk.

The percentage is the amount of light that is let through, not the amount blocked (100% = no tint, 0% = total block).

I personally have 50% all the way around, and I'm pretty happy with it. I had planned to do exactly what the VA law allows, but Carlos suggested blue tint, and I went for it. He only had blue tint in 50%.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

yeah, it's a strange way to describe it so it's confusing. I wasn't able to find the laws for the District but in my personal experience, window tinting really only becomes an issue if you've been pulled over for something else. I'm not certain but I don't think tint is a "primary" offense.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

We don't know what Mark's car Max came tinted with but it's really dark. He says that it's actually so dark that at night on a street with no lights, he has a hard time seeing out the sides. He's contemplated having it removed for something less dark, but not sure if he'll change it. The car came this way, but if he was given a choice, I'm sure he wouldn't have gone this dark

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

now I am all confused about the legal limits. . .I have 35% all around, and honestly, it isn't that dark.

I retract my 50%, and say 35%(now knowing it is + not -). . . or how ever dark you can get away with without it hindering your driving. I like my 35, but I wanted darker, just wasn't trying to deal with the law.

Also depends on how much of a two tone look you want. With BRG, it may not matter much to ya, it's all your personal flavor.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

Let's stick it to the man! Go MD Legal! I'm going to go TX legal when I roll out of VA.

LIMO Tint Baby!

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

I've got 35% all the way around on my new car. No trouble from the police, but at night it is hard to see through the windows.

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't put tint on my MINI yet. But the last time I had a car tinted I did it to the legal limit on the perscribed windows (darker in the non-driving windows) and the overall look of the vehicle looked darker than legal on the driving windows.

image.php?u=620&type=sigpic&dateline=129

Next Generation Trnka Toy

2003 R53 MCSm, EB/W

Last 4 cars I had were 35% and not one tint ticket.that's saying a lot since you know my driving habits. I have pics of the 2 mini's done on here somewhere. Also tinting the sunroof is well worth it.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

uh, good luck with that one Craig. Last I heard he had 500 unread emails in his hotmail and he only comes on the board if I tell him to. He still mumbles on his occasional foray into Facebook

Mark won't mind if Laura and I take Max for a night time spin, I always wash and wax Max, so I get some rights too :motor:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg