Guitarfrk75

Buying a new MINI

Hey guys,

I'm on the point of trading in my current Mazda for a new Cooper S or JCW. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience living with the MINI with kids/babies. Could you let me know?! I don't have any kids at the moment but 2-3 years down the line... things may be different!

Also if anyone has any take on whether the factory 2010 JCW is worth the premium over the S then that would be great to know as well. I'm considering both models and I REEEAAALLY want the JCW (I've been fed a steady diet of F1 and sportscar racing since I was born) I'm not sure if it's so much better to be worth the extra money.

Thanks guys, I hope I can see some of you soon!!

As a single guy without any kids, I can't help you much with the kid question (although I have seen some couples do it), but I do want to mention one thing about the factory JCW, especially since you're performance oriented.

Be aware that although it has the most powerful factory MINI engine ever created (thus far), and also has the largest factory brakes, both of which perform exceedingly well... the factory JCW comes equipped as standard with with the baseline suspension option (just like the S does). This completely defeats the concept, in my opinion, as the biggest selling point of a MINI is how it handles, and the factory JCW is supposed to be the flagship! A performance-oriented potential MINI buyer may want to take this into account, and either budget for getting the JCW suspension installed by the dealer or look at some aftermarket options.

Best of luck in your search! Should you end up taking the plunge, I hope you'll consider joining the club too. :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I have triplets, not that they all fit in the car at the same tiime with the wife, but I do take one of them every once in a while. They seem to like it, because they can see the out side fairly easily when they sit in the front seat. But I do have to get another car, another Minivan.

I agree with Haemish about the performance issue on the JCW. I wold rather get an S and get the JCW suspension or an aftermarket one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

I got a JCW clubman and it's well worth the extra money. Just wish I didn't have to sell it

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IMO, I would say go for JCW. :top:

As of expecrience with kids. I have 7 yrs and 10 yrs kids and I have my MINI since '06, no problem at all.

Or best option would be JCW convertible, and your kid will ask for a ride every single day. :biggrin:

mini-cooper-john-cooper-works-cabrio_16-500x403.jpg

My wife and I both have MINIs - I drive a 2006 MCS and she drives a 2008 Clubman. We have two kids (5 and 18 months) and have no problem riding together in either car. Obviously, the Clubman is easier to get kids in and out of the back seat because of the club door, but the back seats have tethers built in on both cars, so no problem hooking in the car seat.

I'll defer to the techies on the JCW vs. S issue, but I can tell you that the Clubman S package delivers all the power and fun my wife can handle!

Stanley - 2006 MINI Cooper S

Carmen - 2008 MINI Clubman S - The LEGO MINI