Claymore

Koni? Bilstein?

The time has come to replace the shocks/struts on my '05 R53. I've read through some of the reviews on Tirerack.com, and it seems the Koni Sports require a little bit of drilling to make the fronts fit in the hole. The Bilsteins look good, but $$$$.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Tough questions.

Some love the FSD. Slower steering but tires stay on the ground better.

Just got a solid recommendation for yellows.

Another for Bilstiiens set to soft.

About the only consistent recommendation is the OEM is stiff, but not well controlled.

Love love LOVE my JCW Suspension. I honestly believe it's the most underrated JCW upgrade, and really not bad value at all. It's the perfect setup for a "streetable" car. Not as aggressive as a full on track suspension, still quite compliant for city driving, yet a very significant upgrade from the stock suspension. :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I debated on the FSD or yellow, I ended up with the yellow and have been extremely pleased.

Joel

My Flickr Site

The proud owner of a 2005 DS/B MCS-JCW...God is my Co-Pilot, but Satan has his foot on the Gas!!!

Half of a two JCW family, I am the fast one!

I forgot about the JCW option. At least that is one I can go test drive!
Scott,

If you haven't already, be sure to read these before you make a final decision:

MotoringFile Review: R56 JCW Suspension - Part 1: Street

MotoringFile Review: R56 JCW Suspension - Part 2: Track

MotoringFile Review: R56 JCW Suspension - Part 3: Long-Term

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Thanks Edge,

Sounds like the JCW kit ( checked with the dealer, over $3K installed), is not what I want. They have none to drive. So, back to FSD, yellow, or Bil. ( shocks only on the Bilsteins. Again, the full kit is over $3K.) All of the shock options are about $650 or so. A copuple of recent surprises slowed doen my purchasing power. Maybe I can get a ride in some member cars that have chosen one of the for-mentioned options. Poise is really the issue. Quit having to catch the car after a bump in the corner. Cars corner faster with the tires on the ground. I don't autocross any more. That makes me lean towards the FSD or Bil's.

It is not the cost that is a tough decision, but that it is getting hard for me physically to do work like this. My wrists just can't take the wrenching any more. ( why I had to sell my TVR). I want to do it correctly the first time. It looks like the KW for the R56 uses standard 60mm springs, but again, I don't want to have to swap parts for 6 months like I did on the RSX. End result was perfect, but it beat me up getting there.

BTW, funny. At the dealer when retuning the TPS that had the wrong stem, I mentioned how happy I was to get my Mini back after driving a 328 for the week. How I felt they made it feel like an overgrown moving-sofa Camry. One of the very senior exec's was walking buy " You are not the only one who noticed" Maybe BMW will listen to the dealers and give us back "real" 3 series again.

In the mean time, I need to sell the s-lites I bought as I have changed my mind and direction ( someone can get a really good deal on my change of mind). Get the 205 RE960's like I planed in the first place and but in the flat cargo deck.

Calymore,

Do you have them on now? This is a super tempting option as the H&R are progressive. I am looking for pose on our streets, not kiddie racer. This decision is driving me crazy. I don't buy a pair oof shoes without trying them on, but we are expected to pay thousands for mods with no idea of the results. It took me several tries to get the RSX just right. Besides the cost, my arthritis makes it hard to swap parts all day long.

Of course, the dealer has no JCW optional suspension to drive. Only standard works cars which have the same setup as our S. They complain they can't sell a $3000 option. I would argue, that that is true, sight unseen! Honda has the same problem. They have performance shocks for the Civic, but no demonstrator. Then the wonder why they don't sell them.

Haven't put them on yet - the springs and sway bar arrived, but the shocks were on back order and will be arriving tomorrow. I plan to put it all on this week, but I'm currently pondering some fixed camber plates from Ireland Engineering. I'll let you know how it goes.

I finally pulled the trigger. Ordered a set of Bilstein sports. I will try them with the S springs, and if needed base springs. Then de-camber, maybe spacers, and finally see what needs to be done with sway bars for balance. Long process I was hoping to avoid, but I just could not find the answers for what I feel is the correct setup. Most people doing mods are slamming for looks, or wanting weekend track setups.

I have not really rung it out, but I noticed I was driving slightly more aggressively with out intending to. It just gives me more confidence. I put on the HD's ( not sports) with stock S springs. It cured 90% of the bounce. Next is to de-camber.

After a couple of weeks and time on the back roads, I am convinced the HD's were just right. They fit like OEM. No problems on install. Any stiffer they would not be suitable for real roads. Any softer would start to hurt handling. Just right.