Goose

MINI on the Mack

MINI on the Mack

August 5, 2017

St. Ignace, Michigan

Help Break the English-held World Record for Largest-ever MINI Cooper Parade!

Online registration is now closed. Onsite registration will be available at Little Bear East Arena on Friday and Saturday.

https://www.minionthemack.com/

Hello All,

Next year's major event (besides the dragon) will be MINI on the Mack, August 5th, 2017. Melissa (melissa99) and I were discussing hotel arrangements and the like and thought it would be a good idea to post. If you plan to go, you really should start booking hotel reservations now.

We will use this thread to discuss travel plans, timing, and other issues leading up to the event. RSVPs will also open as we get closer to the event.

Grey Goose: 2016 F56 Moonwalk Grey JCW - TTFS/GTPeace Custom Stage 1 (Present)
Shadow: 2011 R56 HT MB/MB - MANIC Stage 1 (Past)

The parade will be happening on the Mackinaw side but the parade finish (lunch, raffles etc) is really in St. Ignace. Vast majority of our group stayed in St. Ignace. It's a bit of a hassle to go back and forth over the bridge.

Edited by Shadow

For those who haven't seen it here's some (related) St. Ignace news

MINIs Take the States Rally Rolls Through St. Ignace

http://www.stignacenews.com/dynamicpage/pdf/216917

Drivers Put Imagination on the Road With Custom MINIs, License Plates

http://www.stignacenews.com/dynamicpage/pdf/216928

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

What's the rough agenda for noobs? How many days before/after, are there other attractions, organized MINI events, fun runs?

This is very focused event. What I mean by that is, the parade is really the focus of the weekend. There really isn't a whole of lot of organized fun runs or anything like that. However, many people made their own time of being in St. Ignace/Mackinaw by sightseeing, etc.

Last year the agenda went something like this:

Thursday - drive to Detroit to meet with Michigan MINI for dinner (stay overnight)

Friday - drive to Mackinaw City to register and check into hotel

Saturday - Parade, lunch and other MINI related events.

Sunday - Drive home early in the morning.

Friday night and Saturday night are all ours so we can do whatever.

We stayed in St Ignace, and will do so again in 2017. If they do 2017 like 2015, the morning will start on the Mack City side of the bridge, and go to St Ignace. So if you stay at St Ignace, you'll have at least 3 trips across the bridge, at $4 each. If you stay in Mack City, you'll have only 2 trips across. Also, there are more places to eat - and pretty sure more hotels - on the Mack City side.

What's the rough agenda for noobs? How many days before/after, are there other attractions, organized MINI events, fun runs?

Rough agenda is:

Friday - check in, get swag, etc.

Saturday AM - drive to the marshaling / staging point.

You could be sitting at the staging point for several hours. I think for us, once they started departing, we departed 60-90 minutes later.

Saturday afternoon - arrive at St Ignace event location. Stay an hour or 2.

Sunday - go home.

We took 2 days to drive up, and 2 to drive home. We used Toledo and Cleveland as our halfway points. Some folks will tough it out and drive the entire 11 or so hours to Mack City / St Ignace. I'm ok with spending the extra time and money to do a more leisurely trip ;)

-Jim

Rough agenda is:

Friday - check in, get swag, etc.

Saturday AM - drive to the marshaling / staging point.

You could be sitting at the staging point for several hours. I think for us, once they started departing, we departed 60-90 minutes later.

Saturday afternoon - arrive at St Ignace event location. Stay an hour or 2.

Sunday - go home.

We took 2 days to drive up, and 2 to drive home. We used Toledo and Cleveland as our halfway points. Some folks will tough it out and drive the entire 11 or so hours to Mack City / St Ignace. I'm ok with spending the extra time and money to do a more leisurely trip ;)

-Jim

I think most of this group got to the rally point really early in the morning. If I recall correctly, we were third or fourth row from front. Didn't take us that long.

I think most of this group got to the rally point really early in the morning. If I recall correctly, we were third or fourth row from front. Didn't take us that long.

I wasn't that far behind, HOWEVER I was ushered to the front row of the 2nd batch. So it took a long, long, long time to depart.

I typically don't run with groups, especially groups that like to cut in on my sleep time :biggrin:

I typically don't run with groups, especially groups that like to cut in on my sleep time :biggrin:

hahahaha...now I understand :top:

This is very focused event. What I mean by that is, the parade is really the focus of the weekend. There really isn't a whole of lot of organized fun runs or anything like that. However, many people made their own time of being in St. Ignace/Mackinaw by sightseeing, etc.

Last year the agenda went something like this:

Thursday - drive to Detroit to meet with Michigan MINI for dinner (stay overnight)

Friday - drive to Mackinaw City to register and check into hotel

Saturday - Parade, lunch and other MINI related events.

Sunday - Drive home early in the morning.

Friday night and Saturday night are all ours so we can do whatever.

Sounds like a good itinerary [emoji106] Is that a cannonball run on the return?

Looked at some hotels this morn. High rates (market value I presume) or none at all. Called one in my preferred chain as it's listed at $999, and they said they won't have the rates loaded until Jan 1 [emoji53]

Maybe we should all do what Colin does and camp out in our cars.

-Chris

Maybe we should all do what Colin does and camp out in our cars.

I thought about that as I have a wee bit more room with my Clubbie. But unless I'm actually camping in the woods, I need the comforts of home (like easy access to hot & cold running water and a bathroom [emoji16]).

Looked at some hotels this morn. High rates (market value I presume) or none at all. Called one in my preferred chain as it's listed at $999, and they said they won't have the rates loaded until Jan 1 [emoji53]

Melissa and I booked at the Quality Inn Lakefront in St. Ignace. My rate was 177 per night. 142 if I were to pre pay...that was as of last Sunday.

Melissa and I booked at the Quality Inn Lakefront in St. Ignace. My rate was 177 per night. 142 if I were to pre pay...that was as of last Sunday.

That's actually where I stayed for MTTS, so I was looking on the Mack side for a change of scenery.

I also stayed there for MTTS and really liked that my room had a sliding glass door onto the beach.

I opted to prepay. If something happens and I can't go, I imagine it won't be very difficult to find someone to take over the reservation.

MTTS spoiled me, it was only $95 then.

Quite true, it won't be hard to find somebody else to take the room.