Donross

Springs or Coilovers?

Hello DCMM Fam,

SO...with MOTD right around the corner i'm in a holding pattern with my future suspension setup. Right now I'm on stock setup on my 06 MCS. I ordered a set of H&R performance/lower springs a few months back, but never made it around to installing them. Well, going with what I thought was going to be definitive suspension setup of BC coilovers, i was going to bring the Springs to MOTD and put them up for sale. Well, talking with our good buddies at PTuning (and taking into consideration DC and Baltimore lack of smooth roads) i'm having second thoughts about going the coilover route.

I plan on enjoying track days in this car and of course the occasional spirited drive. Just curious what any of you all think or advise from personal experience.

Thanks in advance for insight :top:

Ross

This has been a hotly debated topic over the years, so it'll be fun to watch :)

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Hello DCMM Fam,

SO...with MOTD right around the corner i'm in a holding pattern with my future suspension setup. Right now I'm on stock setup on my 06 MCS. I ordered a set of H&R performance/lower springs a few months back, but never made it around to installing them. Well, going with what I thought was going to be definitive suspension setup of BC coilovers, i was going to bring the Springs to MOTD and put them up for sale. Well, talking with our good buddies at PTuning (and taking into consideration DC and Baltimore lack of smooth roads) i'm having second thoughts about going the coilover route.

I plan on enjoying track days in this car and of course the occasional spirited drive. Just curious what any of you all think or advise from personal experience.

Thanks in advance for insight :top:

Ross

If you are just doing track days and not actually competing, then springs will probably fine. Just a quality adjustable strut (koni yellows) that will allow you to play with damping.

If you change your mind and plan regularly competing in autoX or Time trials, then you might want to think about a more adjustable set up. Suspension tuning is black magic anyways, so unless you get a lot of track time, you will probably never find the perfect settings.

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

If you are just doing track days and not actually competing, then springs will probably fine. Just a quality adjustable strut (koni yellows) that will allow you to play with damping.
Speaking of, I actually have a set of lightly used Koni Yellows for 1st Gens that I plan on selling... I just haven't gotten around to posting them for sale yet.

Ross - if you decide to go this route and are interested in them, let me know.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129