Shiseiji

Passport Repaired Oil Leak Now 3 Codes

"The MINI" (imaginative, right?) went in to Passport for her annual service, typically <11k miles per year, inspection, etc. ~ 77k current miles

• Tires, yea, OK . . . really, 30k mile life?

• Oil leak = replace the cover @ $385 (gasket lists @ <$30)?? OK . . .

• PCV tube - yea, my bad tore during SeaFoam application. Ops . . :banghead: Heat shrink lasted 2+ years :wink:

• Rear brakes - 77k, sure

• Detail . . . still leaves in the body between the inner fender and the cab :frown:

Forgot to ask about any Club discount. Mind like a sieve these days, can't blame them. :withstupid:

Damage = $2260 :frown::frown::frown: But I don't begrug the mechanices having food on the table and a roof over their heads. . . To think I used to do all this myself as few as 8 years ago :hmmmm:. . . well time has taken a toll . . .:goodnight: OK, live with it.

Then three days later . . .

P12277, P115C,P2187 and ??B2AAA? All related to "too lean."

Used starter fluid as a quick vacuum check, none found. So it may all be un- related . . . maybe not.

Am considering Liberty this go around. They are close to work, and from comments, club members sound happy. Thoughts?

TIA

Ron

Ron

'08 Chili Red MCa R56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That cover always goes bad, there is a seam from the molding process where the vacuum hose (i.e. Seafoam intake) attaches that always starts to fail. I search the deepest depths of the interweb and about the cheapest you can find it is 350.

I know some key personnel moved on since may of those reviews were written, Ali would be a good person to poke for an update.

ALI!!!!!!!!

Leaving your club badge hanging on the review mirror when you drop it off is a good way to not forget, or if you use them often and you have a good SA they know or can make a note in your account.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Thanks all. Yea, especially with the way she is running, Manassas is a push. $350 is what I stumbled across looking up possibilities for the codes. And the possibility it was a rather common issue is why I didn't really scream, need an emoji for clenched teeth. Any idea on the codes? Yes, up on the mirror will go the club ID (unless I can't see around it . . .).

Edited by Shiseiji

Ron

'08 Chili Red MCa R56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another option that may be worth looking into is GT Peace Auto in Chantilly, VA. I believe it's run by Shawn Peace, who used to be one of my SAs back in the day when I went to MoS (before PMoA existed). Good guy.

Ali - also a potential vendor... I'll be happy to help coordinate that when I'm back in town, if you like.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Another option that may be worth looking into is GT Peace Auto in Chantilly, VA. I believe it's run by Shawn Peace, who used to be one of my SAs back in the day when I went to MoS (before PMoA existed). Good guy.

Ali - also a potential vendor... I'll be happy to help coordinate that when I'm back in town, if you like.

Of you already know them feel free to approach them and I can follow up if they're interested

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

i know an ex passport mechanic he might be able to help you...pm me if you want his info

HOONIGAN

Manic stage 2+, H&R springs, H-Sport 19mm sway bar, K&N intake, Forge Bov, Miltek downpipe, Mini Challenge Exhaust, Alta hotside pipe, Noname Intercooler, Cravenspeed short shifter, Sneed4speed Billyclub, Sneed4speed Aero Package, Sneed4speed

ETR, Sneed4speed track rotors, Carbontech AX6 brake pads

Disclamer: I only play a mechanic in my garage on the weekend, and classics are my forte.

P2277- is O2 sensor stuck rich, if that is the case it would be giving a false reading and the computer would be leaning the engine out to correct a rich mix that is not really there. Causing the P2187 - system to lean at idle.

So bad o2 sensor would be causing all the lean codes. There is one before and one after the cat, not sure if you disconnect one o2 sensor connector if it will default to running off only the other. If so the could confirm this bad and which, but if one is bad its good practice to replace both.

They are a common fail part.

Hope this helps.

I will stick to my carburetor, these computers make gas, air, spark way to confusing, lol.

1975Mini001.jpg

Fifth, thanks. Not to sound disloyal, but the Mini was a concession to comfort vs, either a 914 or Karmann Gia. Mostly because I grew up in So. Cal with VWs. Now I'm wondering. Given the age, O2 sensor could be spot on. @ $34.80 ea. after market it might be worth just throwing the parts at the problem. If I can get the !@#$ things loose. I do have a hot wrench . . . I have some vague recollection about emissions control components supposed to last to 100k. Maybe that was only in CA.

Off to enjoy what's left of the day!

Ron

'08 Chili Red MCa R56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems the mechanic pinched the gasket. Been there, done that, so was just glad that for me it was a simple fix. Hope the mechanic didn't get too much crap over the shop having to eat the time.

LOL, cleared 3,840 cubic feet of snow. Twice.

Hope everyone is doing OK.

R

Ron

'08 Chili Red MCa R56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Glad to here it was a simple fix.

Fifth, thanks. Not to sound disloyal, but the Mini was a concession to comfort vs, either a 914 or Karmann Gia. Mostly because I grew up in So. Cal with VWs. QUOTE]

That's not disloyal, both of those are very cool cars, Karmann Gias have always caught my eye. Hell VW are like my classic mini very simple to work on. I am trying to sell my daughters on a classic beetle as a first car.

1975Mini001.jpg