randmness

Priority maintenance for 2006 MCS?

Hey all,

My recently acquired 2006 Cooper S has about 120K miles.

Outside of your standard oil and fluid changes, the following big maintenance items have been replaced in the last 10-20K miles: entire power steering system, rack and pinion system, belt tensioner and idler arm, coolant reservoir, all struts, all rotors, and clutch.

I had to get the car inspected, and the only wear items for coming up are probably brake pads and tires. Everything else is in decent condition (axles, joints, etc.)

In terms of Mini-specific things (from what I have found in various forums), I have gone ahead and replaced the dipstick (with Craven version), intake (with DDM), and cabin air filter (easy.) I plan to swap the coil as well, as it looks like the 3rd and 4th terminals are starting to corrode. I will probably swap the wires and plugs as well.

Is there any other preventative maintenance I should go ahead and handle? I'm thinking the crank pulley should be swapped out (looks like it may be on borrowed time to begin with lol.) I plan to order it today and see about getting it put on by PTuning. I imagine it isnt too difficult to do myself, but I'm sure my condo association would frown on that. I'm thinking the SC pulley as well (but that's not really maintenance.)

Edited by randmness

2006 Mini Cooper S

You might want to consider changing the oil in the supercharger and replacing the water pump. The water pump bolts to the back of the supercharger. At the mileage on your car water pumps and superchargers start failing. The supercharger has gears on the water pump end. When the seal between where the gears are and the supercharger rotors begins to fail all the oil gets sucked out and the gears fail. Then you need a new supercharger. There are a few people who rebuild superchargers but all of it is expensive. I just changed the oil in my supercharger at 85,000. I got about half as much oil out as you are suppose to put in.

Let me know if you take it anywhere to change the SC oil. I had planned on doing this for a while now.

Yea, I'll have to add the supercharger oil and water pump to the list. While the crank and super charger pulley seem doable by myself, the SC oil and water pump look rather intensive to tackle.

---

Amit

Let me know if you take it anywhere to change the SC oil. I had planned on doing this for a while now.

The labor looks pretty intensive. As such, I've read two different maintenance paradigms for the supercharger.

A. Don't change the oil and drive it until it dies. Purchase a new/rebuilt SC and replace it then (saving the initial maintenance job.)

B. Service it until it dies. Replace with reman/new.

Realistically, if you're not doing the work yourself, it seems like both scenarios would cost about the same in the long run. I don't know.

2006 Mini Cooper S

PTUNING in Manassas can take care of this. They're a DCMM vendor and they're a high quality shop.

Can anyone provide a labor cost per hour rate? Seems like that is always a hard bit of information to find on places [especially when considering a new reputable shop over another reputable shop].

Ptuning is 95 per hour

HOONIGAN

Manic stage 2+, H&R springs, H-Sport 19mm sway bar, K&N intake, Forge Bov, Miltek downpipe, Mini Challenge Exhaust, Alta hotside pipe, Noname Intercooler, Cravenspeed short shifter, Sneed4speed Billyclub, Sneed4speed Aero Package, Sneed4speed

ETR, Sneed4speed track rotors, Carbontech AX6 brake pads

Can anyone provide a labor cost per hour rate? Seems like that is always a hard bit of information to find on places [especially when considering a new reputable shop over another reputable shop].

Hello Donross.

This is Daniel @PTUNING in Manassas. OP(randmness) came by our shop a couple of months ago for the supercharger service. He also replaced his water pump as well as a bunch of other maintenance items. OP, I hope everything is all well and good with your MINI!

Our shop rate is currently $95/hr for regular labor and $110/hr for fabrication/custom work.

Please feel free to send me a PM or you can send me an email directly at daniel@ptuning.com. I'd be happy to give you a quote or even just chat with you about any services that you may want.

Mike @ PTUNING

AIM/Email: mike@ptuning.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PTUNING