MoseleysMini

Car overheating, coolant leak, no ac. HELP

So I am usually pretty comfortable with breaking open the engine of my cars. For some reason the mini has me intimidated.

I have a 09 MCS that has been giving me some worries recently. I have been topping off coolant but it is getting hot and I don't want to blow a gasket.

Symptoms:

Tick in the back of the motor

coolant leak-causing overheating warning

possible oil leak between air box and motor

no ac (im ok riding with the windows down but the wife isn't)

I just changed my front tires and the shop gave me a list of to do's see picture. Will this fix my problems? I need a second opinion before I do these myself. I don't want to get done with these things assuming it will fix my problem, and it doesn't. haha been there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

help.jpg.d66e251359b42cfb04a6dee31de4f505.jpg

help.jpg.d66e251359b42cfb04a6dee31de4f505.jpg

Overheating and coolant loss on that year is usually a bad thermostat. It is molded into the housing and needs to be replaced as I whole unit.

If the ticking is on the left side as you are facing it. It is a tell tale sign of the dreaded timing chain.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Overheating and coolant loss on that year is usually a bad thermostat. It is molded into the housing and needs to be replaced as I whole unit.

If the ticking is on the left side as you are facing it. It is a tell tale sign of the dreaded timing chain.

Ticking is pretty central not to the side.

I will look into the bad thermo.

THanks!!

Looks like they pinned your oil leak to a bad vcg easy fix. Possible water pump t Stat problem. Does the ac make any noise? Hissing or compressor clicking on etc?May just need a recharge.

What I'd do:

Pick up an ac recharge kit.

Buy the vcg change the plugs and check the coil packs while you are at it.

Find that coolant leak before throwing parts at it. But likely it's either the tstat or wp

Edited by R53NERD

R53NERD has nailed it all. you can definitely change a vcg if you own a socket set and know lefty loosy, righty tighty. I would say look closely at were the vacuum line comes off the valve cover (left rear) the oil leak is often at the molded neck, and them just following around the bottom of the cover and looks like a bad gasket. Fingers crossed it is just the valve gasket.

Looks like they pinned your oil leak to a bad vcg easy fix. Possible water pump t Stat problem. Does the ac make any noise? Hissing or compressor clicking on etc?May just need a recharge.

What I'd do:

Find that coolant leak before throwing parts at it. But likely it's either the tstat or wp

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

What I'd do:

No AC noise, just hot air.

I'll pick up and replace the vcg, I've changed a few so I feel comfy doing that.

I will locate the tstat and wp then check for leaks.

thanks for the help! I will update.