:motor:Starbuck has had a bunch of changes recently, some inadvertently.

1. Clutchmasters FX100 clutch and flywheel (FW): the most noticeable are the changes from the 13lb FW (vs. approx 26lbs for the OEM). Quicker pickup, changes in shift points vs road speed. Starbuck hates to be below 2500rpm or so. MPG - slight increase.
  2. Suspension mods:

• 19mm Alta Anti-Sway Bar
  • top and bottom Alta Rear Control Arms (adjustable)
  • Alta End-links (for the Anti-Sway Bar)

The 19mm bar adds the most: change in cornering - super responsive. The control arms are lighter than OEM - maybe 8lbs lighter for all 4. It's a good reduction in unsprung weight. What is really nice is that the car handles so much better with the JCW suspension than it used to. All of the parts contribute, and the advantage of the control arms (besides rear camber adj). My installer told me that he had to lengthen the lower arms a small amount (vs the OEM arms) to make everything assemble correctly and preserve alignment.

One thing for anyone considering suspension changes: you will have to re-learn your car. Given the JCW suspension, the Alta parts and 16lb rims with Goodyear Eagles (non-Runflat) - the car handles very differently. It is hard to remember what it used to be like, but it felt heavier in turns, less responsive. At this remove, those are the best generalizations I can recall.

In case anyone wants to know - the shop was Autotecnica in Manasssas, VA. Price for the 4wheel alignment and the suspension work is approx. $500 or so.

Starbuck - 2006 MCS: JCW Engine and Suspension, Alta: 19mm Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Rear Control Arms (top & bottom), Rear End-Links, Alta intake hose, Alta Intercooler Diverter v2

Helix:Rear Seat Delete

M7: Front Strut Bar, 2% Crank Pulley

MiniMadness: JCW Air Filter & Polyurethane rear strut bushings.

nice mods to make a well rounded street car. I will have to do clutch soon when I get my engine work done. Do you have any extra noise from the clutch? When I did a clutch upgrade in my GTO I got alot more noise from clutch engagment at low speeds.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

nice mods to make a well rounded street car. I will have to do clutch soon when I get my engine work done. Do you have any extra noise from the clutch? When I did a clutch upgrade in my GTO I got alot more noise from clutch engagment at low speeds.

definitely chatter when:

1) RPM's are below 2500

2) letting go of the gas at speed

3) chatter at idle

other than that - it's nice. The chatter comes from the "traditional" flywheel. The dual-mass FW has a harmonic balancer to stop the chatter - it's just a noise issue.

~Christina

Starbuck - 2006 MCS: JCW Engine and Suspension, Alta: 19mm Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Rear Control Arms (top & bottom), Rear End-Links, Alta intake hose, Alta Intercooler Diverter v2

Helix:Rear Seat Delete

M7: Front Strut Bar, 2% Crank Pulley

MiniMadness: JCW Air Filter & Polyurethane rear strut bushings.

definitely chatter when:

1) RPM's are below 2500

2) letting go of the gas at speed

3) chatter at idle

other than that - it's nice. The chatter comes from the "traditional" flywheel. The dual-mass FW has a harmonic balancer to stop the chatter - it's just a noise issue.

~Christina

That sounds about right, a little chatter is fine. The FW weight savings is well worth the noise.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:motor:Starbuck has had a bunch of changes recently, some inadvertently.

1. Clutchmasters FX100 clutch and flywheel (FW): the most noticeable are the changes from the 13lb FW (vs. approx 26lbs for the OEM). Quicker pickup, changes in shift points vs road speed. Starbuck hates to be below 2500rpm or so. MPG - slight increase.

2. Suspension mods:

• 19mm Alta Anti-Sway Bar

• top and bottom Alta Rear Control Arms (adjustable)

New to the Mini, with stock ride height, what is the camber all around? Sure made a big improvement on my RSX when I got it to -1 on all four. I don't have my 1500 miles yet, so I have not started to push it.

I'm enjoying reading all of this as I've recently done a good bit of this as well. I installed the Mach V springs which lowered it about 1.5" (fun getting it back OFF the lift when done) and an NM Engineering 22mm rear sway bar along with the M7 front strut brace. I had a 4 wheel alignment by the guys at Mach V done and after a week for everything to settle, I headed out to Skyline Drive yesterday. Oh, I also put in a cold air intake so I get to hear the car working. Wow, what a difference! We hear people use the term "cornered like it's on rails"... I'll go one better. Corners like a rollercoaster! There's no doubt that the car will take on the corners and I don't feel like I ever got close to it's limits. I came off of skyline at Hwy 211 and went all the way down the hill and had so much fun, I turned around and went back up and it was twice as much fun!

I'm installing an M7 pre intercooler charge pipe this coming weekend and then a cat back exhaust before the end of the year.

What I "say" my final change will be is new tires and, for now, I'm seriously looking at the Kumho Ecsta ASX tires in 215-50/16 so I can put them on the stock rims.

With all of the wisdom in the group, I have to ask... What should I consider for next year? JCW ECU programming? lighter wheels?

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I'm enjoying reading all of this as I've recently done a good bit of this as well. I installed the Mach V springs which lowered it about 1.5" (fun getting it back OFF the lift when done) and an NM Engineering 22mm rear sway bar along with the M7 front strut brace. I had a 4 wheel alignment by the guys at Mach V done and after a week for everything to settle, I headed out to Skyline Drive yesterday. Oh, I also put in a cold air intake so I get to hear the car working. Wow, what a difference! We hear people use the term "cornered like it's on rails"... I'll go one better. Corners like a rollercoaster! There's no doubt that the car will take on the corners and I don't feel like I ever got close to it's limits. I came off of skyline at Hwy 211 and went all the way down the hill and had so much fun, I turned around and went back up and it was twice as much fun!

I'm installing an M7 pre intercooler charge pipe this coming weekend and then a cat back exhaust before the end of the year.

What I "say" my final change will be is new tires and, for now, I'm seriously looking at the Kumho Ecsta ASX tires in 215-50/16 so I can put them on the stock rims.

With all of the wisdom in the group, I have to ask... What should I consider for next year? JCW ECU programming? lighter wheels?

It is all depending on what is the final goal. For autox, track or spirited fun, they require mod differently.

I'd suggest that which ever route of mod you'd take, make it balance: Power, handling, Stopping power and the look. :biggrin:

Christina

Did you modify a 2009 JCW?

No, Christina has a (2006) R53 JCW (1st Gen), just like I do.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Maxi,

I'm looking more at spirited fun as that seems to be the route to take that leaves the most possibilities open. I think if it's done right, it can go autocross and have a good time, drive to/from work everyday (having fun while doing it) and still being a good choice to get out on the twisties. I totally agree on the balance though, especially the "look". Not many macho drivers would expect a little cooper with a bike rack on top to beat them up on the curves... So I would suspect my next steps should be the exhaust, brakes, tires and the JCW ECU flash? I'll do some "looks" stuff after that as I'd like to get rid of some of the chrome on the car. Black and Laser Blue seem to work well together!

Thanks,

Craig "KOOPDUP"

Maxi,

I'm looking more at spirited fun as that seems to be the route to take that leaves the most possibilities open. I think if it's done right, it can go autocross and have a good time, drive to/from work everyday (having fun while doing it) and still being a good choice to get out on the twisties. I totally agree on the balance though, especially the "look". Not many macho drivers would expect a little cooper with a bike rack on top to beat them up on the curves... So I would suspect my next steps should be the exhaust, brakes, tires and the JCW ECU flash? I'll do some "looks" stuff after that as I'd like to get rid of some of the chrome on the car. Black and Laser Blue seem to work well together!

Thanks,

Craig "KOOPDUP"

Mod for autox is quite tricky. You have to be careful what to do with your car or it will bump you up to the higher class than you should be.

If the mod is for a fun motoring purpose, then that easy. Exhaust is cool (nice aggressive sound with some gain), Brakes and tires are good mod as well. Suspension is a must have, the cost is depending on your budget. :wink:

JCW flash is not going to help much if you don't have other mod, such as smaller pulley, larger injectors and etc.

Bang for the bug for R53 would be small pulley to start with. Fine tuning is also a great idea, but I would say wait until you finish modding your hardware then custom tune your ecu to make everything works in harmony.

Just my 2 cents. :biggrin:

Thanks for the thoughts. Part of it is "easy", I'm not in an R53, I'm in an R56 so there's no pulley mod for me. I am changing out the turbo/intercooler discharge as soon as M7 gets them in stock - they say a week -. I do appreciate the perspective and thoughts of others in this "project" though. Thank you,

Craig

Thanks for the thoughts. Part of it is "easy", I'm not in an R53, I'm in an R56 so there's no pulley mod for me. I am changing out the turbo/intercooler discharge as soon as M7 gets them in stock - they say a week -. I do appreciate the perspective and thoughts of others in this "project" though. Thank you,

Craig

Oops.., I'm sorry. I should have read you sig. :tongue:

R56 would greatly benefit from ECU tuning (plus a hi-performance downpipe and exhaust :wink:).

There are a few of our members have moded their R56, e30r56 for instance. :biggrin:

Have fun on your modding plan. :top: