jcooper

Brakes!! Help!

Okay so my mini indicated that it's time for brakes this weekend ??

I thought I would get a quote from somewhere other than the dealer first thinking this would be cheaper.

However, virginia tire and auto just quoted me 1,567.17!!!!

Is this how much I should expect to spend on brakes? I just might collapse with anxiety ?

Any suggestions on where I should take her?

Yikes!! That's crazy! The dealer shouldn't even be that much.

I paid about $100 for a set of Hawk pads (2, not 4) and when I had to have my rotors replaced I think it was around $500. I had it done at Mach V and at Passport in Alexandria. They both charged around the same.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I assume that your sensor has worn down, triggering the warning light. First thing to do is determine whether it is front or rear, then determine how much more pad thickness you have on the other set. Then decide whether you are going to do both front or rear, or just the set that tripped the sensor. Then decide whether you need to install new rotors, or just pads. Then decide whether you want to shop the internet for parts or let the installer use what they want and charge you accordingly. Then decide whether you want to use your trusted local garage mechanic, or go Mini-specific independent like Mach V or PTuning.

Lots of opportunities to save money in the process, but $1500+ is insane.

Edited by JAB 67
typo

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

I assume that your sensor has worn down, triggering the warning light. First thing to do is determine whether it is front or rear, then determine how much more pad thickness you have on the other set. Then decide whether you are going to do both front or rear, or just the set that tripped the sensor. Then decide whether you need to install new rotors, or just pads. Then decide whether you want to shop the internet for parts or let the installer use what they want and charge you accordingly. Then decide whether you want to use your trusted local garage mechanic, or go Mini-specific independent like Mach V or PTuning.

Lots of opportunities to save money in the process, but $1500+ is insane.

+1 on the insanity of that quote. JAB's suggestions are on the "money" if you'll pardon the pun.

Another option is doing it yourself. Thanks to a very generious contributions/loans by a couple of club members (Laura and Brian, please take a bow) the Garage Mahal has both 1st and 2nd Gen repair manuals and there are a few of us around that have done a dozen or so full up break jobs on MINIs. The biggest expense in this is the cost of labor so if you get that out of the way, your costs are only for parts.

The MINI brake rotors are not designed to be resurfaced and they are reasonably thin. In MY experience, they are good for about 2 sets of pads adn then they need to be replaced. There are of course exceptions and your rotors may need to be replaced sooner than that but even that isn't a major piece of work to get done.

Pads and a wear sensor (or both if you choose) are very reasonable and if you need rotors, there are lots of options for either OEM, OEM replacement or some upgrades like slotted rotors to improve your braking ability.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Doing it yourself is pretty easy. Two bolts and caliper comes off. What I will say is do not get the pepboys non-oem replacement sensor, the connection is not a match.

You can always just cut the sensor cable twist the two copper wires together and wrap in electrical tape(no more brake light), if you not what to deal with the sensor.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

1975_Mini is correct, I would go with one of our local vendors, OEM or online like Out Motoring for the brake wear sensor. With my Big Brake Kit, I did solder the front sensor wires but if you are keeping OEM or sensor compatable pads on both end of the car, I'd suggest keeping the sensor. With that, if you get any unusual wear on the pads, it's going to tattle on them when they wear - of course that only if it's the front left or rear right that wears improperly...

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Thanks all!!

Mini of sterling quoted me 1200 if I need everything; sensors, rotators, pad. I'm a VIP service member there as well so I would get an addition 20% off. Rounding it down to around 1k. I guess 1k is a lot more reasonable. However, I'll be giving Mach V and P Tuning a call today. Thanks for everyone's input, very very much appreciated.