Cambo

Hello!

Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself since I think I'll be surfing this site a lot more now that motorcycle season is over and my attention is back to this car.

Two quick stories:

1) It was a fortuitous accident that I ended up with my mini coooper. I have an F150 that I was using to commute between Rockville and Chantilly and the gas prices were destroying me. As a result, the hunt for a gas efficient car was on. I had settled on a tried and true Honda civic and literally, while waiting for the paperwork to be drafted...I spotted a cooper s in the parking lot. I think this was at a carmax in rockville. For shits and grins I took it for a test drive while I was waiting. I was absolutely blown away at how fun this car was...like a Go kart on steroids. more fun than an S2000 I had previously owned. I was sold. But I bought the car and then it sat for almost a year because at the same time I found a great deal on a motorcycle and rode that as my commuter instead.

2) So I mentioned motorcycle season is over for me. That's because I wrecked recently on the dulles toll road and the wife has forbidden me from two wheels until our boys are grown up. haha, as much as I want to rebel against this...she's right. But long story short, this dude swerved into my lane to avoid a guy swerving into HIS lane. sigh...oh well...DC area traffic and drivers for you.

Anyyywayy, alllll that to say...without a motorcycle and being forced to sell my other one...my attention is now fully on the mini. There's a few things I want to do but I have no clue what the preferred local assets (as far as honest garages etc) are which is part of the reason why I'm here!

Some other things I've done to my mini:

-K&N typhoon intake

-Invidia 300 cat back

-WMW bypass valve or whatever it's called

-Rigid Industries Dually D2 fog lights

-completely, and I mean completely gutted interior. There's a drivers seat, a full size spare, and a longboard haha, that's it. no kidding, my ignition is zip tied to the cd player. as is a lot of other things...lol, don't ask...I was just bored. The folks at passport mini had to ask me to come out to the service lane to point out where it was.

Some things I'm looking to do:

-Resonator/2nd cat delete (Does anyone know a local shop that'll do this? Preferably Maryland side? I live in Rockville)

-Catless WMW downpipe. Way Motor works has it on sale for 299 right now and I'm just about ready to click the order button...between that and the above mentioned deletions...I bet the r56 can sound pretty mean.

Geesus this intro is a book...sorry folks. Anyway, you can't miss me...I'm the only idiot driving a silver cooper s with gold rims (they were bronze on the website)...and now I have these ridiculous bright orange rally stripes (they were dark orange on the website). haha, perhaps I need to have my screen resolution checked.

I do try to wave at other mini drivers, because apparently that's the thing but so far no such luck getting a return wave lol. Unfortunatley I'm socially awkward so my wave probably comes off as a nervous tick or something...plus I'm a big ugly guy so that might be a part of it lolol, but I swear I'm friendly!

Looking forward to gaining...and hopefully one day, sharing...lots of mini knowledge!

Ty

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

Welcome to the forums Ty and happy to hear you love your MINI.

I am sorry to hear about the accident with your bike, glad you weren't hurt.

You should see if you can come to some of our events such as the club dinners that we have in the winter. We're a fun group, diverse and casual. We love our MINIs.

I understand about the waving, I wave but it's usually to the MINI since the owner rarely notices me.

If you choose to join the club as a full member you'll get swag and access to our super secret clubhouse forum plus vendor discounts.

Welcome

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Welcome to the forums Ty and happy to hear you love your MINI.

I am sorry to hear about the accident with your bike, glad you weren't hurt.

You should see if you can come to some of our events such as the club dinners that we have in the winter. We're a fun group, diverse and casual. We love our MINIs.

I understand about the waving, I wave but it's usually to the MINI since the owner rarely notices me.

If you choose to join the club as a full member you'll get swag and access to our super secret clubhouse forum plus vendor discounts.

Welcome

Ali

Appreciate the kind words, thank you. Yeah I do plan on joining, more so because forum membership costs pale in comparison to the wealth of knowledge someone like me (complete idiot) gains. Sooo, I look at it as a very small price to pay for the avoidance of higher trial and error costs down the road...if that makes sense?

Forums for my two bikes saved me thousands in modification and repair costs! So yeah I'm all for that and will be joining shortly. I just had to find a forum to commit to and in the two days I've been on here, I'm definitely feeling a much more positive vibe...similar to that of the bike forums I'm used to. I can't say I felt that way with NAM...perhaps because the community is much much larger...but I digress...

hey do you guys do any group rides to the slopes for some skiing/snowboarding? I'd be down for that! :D

Welcome! How much does your car weigh?? Also, the Silver/Gold combo is awesome, I'm a fan. As for shops I'm not really sure. I do all my own stuff, but I do recommend P-tuning. and post some pics of the car!

hey thanks RDGRCR! I'm actually not sure how much it weighs right now. But after it was all said and done, I went from about 32 mpg...to 36 on the highway. and in sport mode, the tires would be more prone to spinning if I wasn't careful. but, I'm getting ready to throw the roof rack back on as snowboarding season is almost back...so those figures will probably go down again.

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

There has been talk about getting a ski trip together, it's not something we've done in the past but I know there's interest. (Remember the super secret members forum, it's there :biggrin: )

We do a lot more motoring during the warmer weather. Group runs, we spend up to a week at the Tail of the Dragon every Spring in North Carolina (http://www.minisonthedragon.com), so Dragon fever kind of takes over for a few months. Some of us autocross together. We have events like the picnic, a scavenger hunt, we've done rallys.....

We have fun! I think part of what makes us so friendly is we're not just an online forum. Many of us are friends in person and really have become like family to each other. A lot of really amazing friendships have come out of this club and I think it comes through in the forum.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

and post some pics of the car!

haha, here you go good sir...my freak show of a mini! In one of the pics you can see how the starter, instrument panel, and sport mode/dsc cluster are all zip tied in place lol. The orange rally stripes I ordered off of ebay and attempted myself and I did a horrible job (never messed with vinyl before)...and a i plasti dipped as much as I could black. Some have asked me why I gutted the interior so much. Folks can understand removing the seats but why the plastics? haha, simple answer is, I'm a big fan of the 'naked' look when it comes to my motorcycles...and I tried to carry that theme to this car (lol, and I'm well aware what 'naked' actually refers to in motorcycle body styling, I'm taking it further!). So...it was half inspiration from that, and half because I was bored. I may not receive any positive feedback about it, but the odd looks and doubletakes make me smile haha.

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

I like the orange stripes

thanks!

So why the gutted interior

haha, long story short, boredom and curiosity pretty much. In-laws were over for a good amount of time and I needed to disappear ;)

thanks!

haha, long story short, boredom and curiosity pretty much. In-laws were over for a good amount of time and I needed to disappear ;)

That a good reason.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

Welcome to DCMM. Looks like your car is just about track ready, lol! Thanks in-laws!

thanks!...haha yup, if only I really tracked it. You have no idea how many folks walk by or pull up and ask me where I track it...and then the countless puzzled looks that ensue after I tell them I don't lolol.