Stephatron

I got a present - a Canon AE1

So today, one of my coworkers gave me a present. It's his old Canon AE1. He also gave me a bunch of film and several lenses. I had one of these a few years ago but it had a broken shutter so I'm not too familiar with it. Are any of my photography nerd friends familiar with this camera and potentially its quirks?? Also, anyone want to go on any fun shoots (even though this is a film camera!)?

I had an AE1P for years. Had all kinds of lenses and filters, it was a great camera and took great pics. Parted with it last Oct. at our garage sale and was sad to see it go.

Where does one get film developed these days?

I think Penn still does film development and there are places online. I heard a story about someone bringing a role of film to a CVS and the kid working there didn't understand how to get it into the digital reader. Kids these days that never even saw film

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I had an AE1P for years. Had all kinds of lenses and filters, it was a great camera and took great pics. Parted with it last Oct. at our garage sale and was sad to see it go.

Where does one get film developed these days?

How different is the AE1P from the AE1?? I assume minor differences, probably. I was reorganizing some stuff in the bag he gave me and actually found unexpected instructions. Looks like I will be reading them soon :top:

I love shooting film. My film camera is a Ricoh from the early '60s, it's totally manual and I love it. I would happily go shoot film with you and help you out with metering. Do you know how old it is?

Ali, whenever you have free time, lets go out!! I think it would be fun to go play with some cameras in a not so traditional, portfolio-esque way. Are you familiar with the AE1?

Still have my AE-1, haven't fired it up in years. I know the winder does not work (corroded battery contacts, probably more internal). Needs a battery and of course film.

I did use it recently to estimate the height of a house- threatening tree. Did not need batteries for that! Vivitar Series1 200mm and 35-85 varifocal. Wish I still had my FTb, completely manual.

Currently using a Sony (nee Konica/Minolta) Alpha35, but not enough.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

Ali, whenever you have free time, lets go out!! I think it would be fun to go play with some cameras in a not so traditional, portfolio-esque way. Are you familiar with the AE1?

I'm not familiar with the AE1, but how hard can it be? :biggrin:

I'l bring my 1961 Ricoh and a Holga are two and we can just go play

Tggrrr010.jpg

Re the AE-1P - without Googling, IIRC, it added shutter speed priority to the AE-1’s aperature priority, making it a less-expensive alternative to the A-1.

OK, not sure Google agrees with me....

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/ae1pgrm/index.htm

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

Still have my AE-1, haven't fired it up in years. I know the winder does not work (corroded battery contacts, probably more internal). Needs a battery and of course film.

I did use it recently to estimate the height of a house- threatening tree. Did not need batteries for that! Vivitar Series1 200mm and 35-85 varifocal. Wish I still had my FTb, completely manual.

Currently using a Sony (nee Konica/Minolta) Alpha35, but not enough.

Hey, the more the merrier to be honest. Especially if you're a bit familiar with the camera too :)

You have a Holga still?! I had one when I was 5. I think I broke it. I remember my mom was P-I-S-S-E-D at me.

My Holgas are fairly new, they're trendy again. I do like the larger 120 format film, but they are kind of difficult with no settings.

I have named them Twiggy and Pinky :biggrin:

Tggrrr010.jpg

I think Penn still does film development and there are places online. I heard a story about someone bringing a role of film to a CVS and the kid working there didn't understand how to get it into the digital reader. Kids these days that never even saw film

Man, does this ever bring back memories of the time while still a young man in uncle sams military. I used to take pics with my AE-1 and develope them. Just a few months ago, I gave it to my grandson with different lenses, film, instructions, lense cases, along with a bunch of other attachments because he's taking a course now about this very subject. If you have a Ritz in your area, they have the capability to process film.