LostDenverite

Lights, lights and lights

Trunk light. The very first item I put in my cargo bay covered it. I'd put a small box in there in direct daylight and didn't even realize the light existed (and only one) until the eve when I was unloading and couldn't see a dang thing! I know the MINI is streamlined/compact, but would it have made that much of a difference to put a light on both sides? Are there any uncomplicated mods to add more? I initially thought I could put something into the power port, but that isn't always on. I'm envisioning a kit that does what MINI should have done, same boot-light set up on the opposite side. I found this thread http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/191323-clubman-rear-baggage-compartment-light.html and although that isn't exactly what I was thinking of it may be the solution. Some of you Club-men (and women) must also have the same issue.

Rally Lights. I want them!! http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/659/MINI-DRIVING-LIGHTS I think they add (positively) to the personality of my buggy. But a) it appears cost-prohibitive for a cosmetic add-on and b) it looks rather involved on the install (I'm not an electrician. I can install my own tow hitch, I've done so on other vehicles...albeit other vehicles simply needed to be raised off the ground...but I digress) and further cost-prohibitive to pay a mech to do it. Anybody DIY or can recommend a pay-for-install?

Reverse light. I think I already found my solution: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/168560-clubman-reverse-lights.html but I wanted to throw it out here JIC there is a better way.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

as for the rally light (driving lights) there are other companies out there that make the small size lights. i have four hella 500ff lights(about a 6" diameter) 2 driving and 2 fog you can see the pics. as for install very easy if you get 3rd party brand the OEM light are hard to put on bc you need to hook up to the high beams and they are only meant to come on with you high beams. i out my own lights on it took me about two days because i took my time and check and recheck me work i think it could take about 3ish hours for just two lights ill post the link to the thread i did about lights and some websites that have lights. if you need help PM me.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

here is the link to my thread

http://dcmetrominis.org/forum/topic/1862-finally-got-my-lights/also if you go with say hella like i did and you plan on using the often i would highly recommend going with a have duty wire harness the one they give you in my opinion is a POS spend the extra $40-50 and save time.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

as for the rally light (driving lights) there are other companies out there that make the small size lights. i have four hella 500ff lights(about a 6" diameter) 2 driving and 2 fog you can see the pics. as for install very easy if you get 3rd party brand the OEM light are hard to put on bc you need to hook up to the high beams and they are only meant to come on with you high beams. i out my own lights on it took me about two days because i took my time and check and recheck me work i think it could take about 3ish hours for just two lights ill post the link to the thread i did about lights and some websites that have lights. if you need help PM me.

I actually saw/read your DIY post before I put my inquiry up over here. I'm (no longer) on mountain roads where I need to have be equipped to signal spaceships :laugh: The stock-style rally lights are fine with me. But I would like the option to turn them on at will (I'd read that the OEM ones are only designed to come on with the HBs)

Wired legally (and from the factory) the lights will only come on when the high beams are on. Of course, where you draw power for the relay is optional if you do your own install.

I didn't get the question about the reverse light but I know some people are conflicted about the Clubbie having only one. It's legal and it's bright - bright enough that I'm able to back into wherever I need with it. From what I've heard, you can order a UK tail light assembly and run a wire over to make it light up when the other side does.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Wired legally (and from the factory) the lights will only come on when the high beams are on. Of course, where you draw power for the relay is optional if you do your own install.

I didn't get the question about the reverse light but I know some people are conflicted about the Clubbie having only one. It's legal and it's bright - bright enough that I'm able to back into wherever I need with it. From what I've heard, you can order a UK tail light assembly and run a wire over to make it light up when the other side does.

I'm a born & raised city kid and a motorcycle rider, the more visibility the better. Ever back out of a parking space (mall, supermarket, etc) and some numnutz will walk behind your car even though it is moving in their direction? I'll just be nice and consider that they didn't see me (and that was with my Outback) so having a low-profile vehicle like a MINI won't make things any better, especially with the single reverse light. I initially thought the light bar along the top was a 3rd indicator providing a nice big triagle of light (with the pair in the normal places).

Yes, I have the link to a NAM post re ordering and installing the UK version.

yea my lights are big but they don't put out an obnoxious amount of light i do use my fogs a good amount at night just to help put out that extra amount of light. even with the stock xenon light i've almost hit a couple of potholes. so just having that extra light is nice to have. and also ill be going away i a years time to go to collage out in the mountains so that light will be nice

check out outmotoring.com and they have some lights piaa is good kc is good and hella those three i would go with

I'm a born & raised city kid and a motorcycle rider, the more visibility the better. Ever back out of a parking space (mall, supermarket, etc) and some numnutz will walk behind your car even though it is moving in their direction? I'll just be nice and consider that they didn't see me (and that was with my Outback) so having a low-profile vehicle like a MINI won't make things any better, especially with the single reverse light. I initially thought the light bar along the top was a 3rd indicator providing a nice big triagle of light (with the pair in the normal places).

Yes, I have the link to a NAM post re ordering and installing the UK version.

Adding the brake light pulsar is a great option and might work to resolve this for you. It's not very expensive and it's easy to install. That way, the 4 foot wide, chest level flashing red lights are real attention getters for those behind you.

Yeah, I agree, there's not much that can be done to defend yourself against the idiotic pedestrians who have their focus in the palm of their hand...

As for auxillary lights up front, I'm big fan of the Hella Black Magic lights. I've got a quad light bar on the car and I'll be mounting a pair of the smaller Black Magic's in the near future. Another coding feature is the ability to keep your front fog lights on regardless of the headlight settings. OEM driving lights only work with the hi beams on and OEM foglights only work with the high beams off (makes sense considering their intended use). With the coding change, I can have my fog lights on any time so if I have to flash my high beams for some reason, it doesn't turn the fogs off. I find that the fogs do a great job of filling in that light gap between the bottom of the xenon's and the hoodline so I can see those close in objects.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

As for auxillary lights up front, I'm big fan of the Hella Black Magic lights. I've got a quad light bar on the car and I'll be mounting a pair of the smaller Black Magic's in the near future. Another coding feature is the ability to keep your front fog lights on regardless of the headlight settings. OEM driving lights only work with the hi beams on and OEM foglights only work with the high beams off (makes sense considering their intended use). With the coding change, I can have my fog lights on any time so if I have to flash my high beams for some reason, it doesn't turn the fogs off. I find that the fogs do a great job of filling in that light gap between the bottom of the xenon's and the hoodline so I can see those close in objects.

did you go with the VIP quad bar? you are doing the same thing like i do use them to give that extra light :top:

I think that for my first MOD I want to do 4 Hella Black Magics. I was looking at the VIP quad bar. My question is, I'm just not sure I can do this myself. It might be a bit much for me, having to make a cut in the grill and all. Have you all used someone in the Alexandria area to help install?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thats the exact set up i have!!! luckly my dad is handy so he did all the wiring for me. As for installers in VA you might wanna talk to the master tech at the garagemahal....

Great minds!! Yes, I really like how they look on the countryman's. I will take your advice! Thanks for the tip.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a thread on NAM that has a countryman with 4 BM lights. i look for it and if i remeber correctly you get a template for where to cut.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I can't create a new thread so this thread seemed fitting to add to:

Basically I removed my stock fog lights (anybody need a set?...they're working just fine) and mounted a pair of Rigid Industries Dually D2s in their place.

Long story short: brighter than HIDs with better flood. couldn't ask for more...well worth the higher purchase price.

Here's a couple pics from the installation...I was able to reuse the stock housing and bolts to secure the d2's bracket.

CAM00417.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

This is a flood rather than fog? If so, did you mod to allow them to go on independent of high/low beam?

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

This is a flood rather than fog? If so, did you mod to allow them to go on independent of high/low beam?

hey sorry Ohbe1, I missed your question

Yes, flood and yes, wired independent of high or low beam.

Adding to this thread, I came across a 10" Rigid Ind LED light bar on ebay that I meant for the F150 but it's so new I really didn't feel like cutting into her yet. So I thought, what the heck, I'll find a place for it on the mini lol. Spent this morning in the teen degree temps to get started on the install. Now I'm taking a break because I can't feel my toes. But I'm basically done, just need to button everything down and connect the battery back up but you can see how it'll look.

Random knowledge, the hood is incredibly easy to drill through.

haha, and if you're going to ask "why?"...the answer is, I have no idea, why not

CAM00566.jpg

CAM00567.jpg

CAM00568.jpg

CAM00569.jpg

CAM00570.jpg

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

Edit: I don't usually care about how ugly a mod is...but this is just ugly lol. Now I have oval headlights, square fog lights, circular driving lights and now...a random rectangular light on my hood. I just need something triangular and I'll be a geometry lesson on wheels

sigh...oh well, too late to turn back now. If anybody ever needs someone to light up a field for some late night ultimate frisbee...hit me up