nharrison21

Central VA Rides?

So I see that there are a pile of drives planned here there and anywhere, which is awesome. Unfortunately a drive to DC is quite a bit long for me (2 1/2hrs). So im wondering if there is any drives planned for the Central VA (Charottesville) area.

I planned on making a short drive on the skyline drive (I-64 to 33) here in the next few weeks for some photo shoots since the trees are finally coming in and was just wondering if anyone else was up for a drive.

nh21001.jpg

Edited by nharrison21

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

The locations of the drives are determined by the people that lead them. The beauty is that anyone can set up a run or an event. If you set it up, people will come, Charlottesville is a beautiful area.

I think part of the problem here is that in order to set up a run you need to plan it and test it. So if we live here in the DC area, it makes it pretty hard to set up a run in that area.

I love the area though, would be happy to go there

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Im native to the area and would glady set up something with some help from those who have done these before. Moticello is very beautiful, Carters Mountain is alos a beautiful view of Cville, Michie Tavern, Monticello, Ill do some research and see what festivals we have coming up down here. Also for the Whino's there are a pile of vineyards which would probably be a good spot also.

nh21001.jpg

Im native to the area and would glady set up something with some help from those who have done these before. Moticello is very beautiful, Carters Mountain is alos a beautiful view of Cville, Michie Tavern, Monticello, Ill do some research and see what festivals we have coming up down here. Also for the Whino's there are a pile of vineyards which would probably be a good spot also.

nh21001.jpg

Awesome - Once you have some ideas, I know you'll get the help you need. It sounds fun!

Tggrrr010.jpg

Nick - feel free to reach out if you have questions about setting an event up down in that area. What I'd suggest from the start would be to start at a location that's closer to the middle (between here and there) for the start and then set up the route to visit those places (2-3 specific destinations with good "twisties" in between) to visit. Last fall, we did a run out to Luray caverns and it was a "destination" event in which we met at one place and the run officially ended at the destination so that's an option as well. That also tends to be an easier route to set up as you don't have to worry about getting everyone back to the start.

A couple of key things to keep in mind when setting it up.

Bathrooms (real flushing facilities) at the start and roughly every 40-50 miles or 45-60 minutes.

A start/comfort break location that has enough room to support 15+ MINI/Minis and 3-4x that many people.

If there's a food/eating stop planned, the menu should have a good variety for those in the club who have challenging dietary restrictions and the establishiment should be notified of a large group coming so they can be ready. If you set up an RSVP for the event, you'll have a good ballpark idea of how many people will be there.

We can provide you with a template for a route sheet and it's suggested that you drive the route at least once with a co-pilot calling the turn by turn directions just to make sure it's a good route and then drive it again within a week of the even to ensure there are no rock slides, construction sites or other long term blockages.

It's also best to have another car (or two) know the route to act as a "relay" car and a sweeper. If there are more than 12-15 cars, add more as you'll probably split the cars into two groups so you'll need two leaders and two sweepers.

Oh, right hand turns are our friend while left hand turns can break the group up.

Most important? Don't be afraid to reach out to the club for help because we all love to get out and drive and there are lots of members who are always willing to help coordinate events. I'll also help with dates and getting the event on the calendar for you.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Wow...Thx for the info..The hardest part of trying to figure this out is how/where to drive as Charlottesville is a small town but has the traffic patterns of a bowl of spaghetti.

What would be the ideal total drive time: 3,4 7hrs???

One option im looking at is since there is some interest in a trip to Monticello is do a Rt 33 W (Ruckersville, Va) to Skyline Drive to (Rt 250 E or I-64E) to Monticello which could be the end point (It has easy access to I-64 to 29N for you Northerners going home :} ) . Google maps has it as a 2- 2 1/2 hr straight drive, but it could be 4 hrs with stops on the Drive. As for food, Is a sit down restaurant (Outback/woodgrill) or a fast food (Burger King/ Taco Bell) preferred??

nh21001.jpg

I'll post this reply as it's information that everyone considering the coordination of an event may find interesting but if you'll PM or email me from DCMM, we can get into specific details.

3-4 hours would be nearing the maximum as some will be looking at an hour or more getting to and from the event so it makes for a rather long day in the car.

I'll check the maps that I have at home and there may be a suggested route in that area. If so, I'll be glad to share that info with you.

As far as eateries? We typically aim for a sit down location that's got a good menu and doesn't require a second mortagage on the farm. Pubs are always a good bet!

The areas that you mention all sound good and if you did want to include a winery, it would be important to check their schedule to see if they have any events that day. It would be painful to show up with the thundering herd just as the bridal party started down the "Green Mile". Some wineries also have food that can be arranged.

Oh, I forgot one CRITICAL element. Some of our owners would rather roll around in a recently "used" cow pasture before they drive their MINIs on a gravel road so if there's more than about 500 feet of unpaved road, people will get their pitch forks and detailing kits out of the car, surround you and - well, you can figure out the rest. Right Brian, Marty & Quitta?

Oh, I forgot one CRITICAL element. Some of our owners would rather roll around in a recently "used" cow pasture before they drive their MINIs on a gravel road so if there's more than about 500 feet of unpaved road, people will get their pitch forks and detailing kits out of the car, surround you and - well, you can figure out the rest. Right Brian, Marty & Quitta?

Soooo True!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can still see Quitta's face after we all accidently went down that really fine dusty road. She looked like she had been force fed sour milk

Tggrrr010.jpg

***Takes out notepad: Gravel Roads = Possible Death******

If there's a refreshing adult libation - using the appropriate level of responsibility of course - at the end of the very short stretch of gravel - amends have been made and ye shall be allowed to prosper and lead another ride in the future but I think Quitta and Bryan will have to be "bought off" with a round at the leaders expense.

PM inbound though.

Amazingly enough, us down here in Hampton Roads are already in the planning stages for a C'ville run. We're planning on doing lunch at Mitchie's Tavern, since they seem to specialize in tours and bus size groups.

Let us know when y'all are planning your event and maybe we can do our run up that way as a joint event!

As for central VA events, HR MINI does several in the area. Probably our biggest event is the Cooper Vineyard MINI Rally. Last year, thanks to a hurricane AND earthquake, attendance was down, but we've had well over 100 MINIs at Cooper before. We also host a "spirited" drive over to the vineyard starting at Bruster's Ice Cream on Staple Mills Rd.

There is also an upcoming drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Buena Vista in the coming months. So yea, we out that way.

Check out http://www.hrmini.com to stay abreast.

Amazingly enough, us down here in Hampton Roads are already in the planning stages for a C'ville run. We're planning on doing lunch at Mitchie's Tavern, since they seem to specialize in tours and bus size groups.

Let us know when y'all are planning your event and maybe we can do our run up that way as a joint event!

As for central VA events, HR MINI does several in the area. Probably our biggest event is the Cooper Vineyard MINI Rally. Last year, thanks to a hurricane AND earthquake, attendance was down, but we've had well over 100 MINIs at Cooper before. We also host a "spirited" drive over to the vineyard starting at Bruster's Ice Cream on Staple Mills Rd.

There is also an upcoming drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Buena Vista in the coming months. So yea, we out that way.

Check out www.hrmini.com to stay abreast.

I went to the Cooper Vineyards run last year and it was a lot of fun and a great group of MINIs

Tggrrr010.jpg

Check out www.hrmini.com to stay abreast.

Great..Another forum I "have" to sign up to...:) definetly thanks for all the info. Im still in the infant stages of setting up anything remotely like a trip, but I will definetly keep an eye to the forum for more info from both DCMM and HRMINI.

nh21001.jpg

:y::eviltongue::evil::y::eviltongue::evil::y::eviltongue::evil:

Evil Dirt Roads!

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL"