miniglenn

An "un-pallet-able" collision experience

So, this morning as I was driving to work on 95 northbound in MD near route 175, I was following a kitchen installation truck on a delivery, when suddenly a wooden shipping pallet (of all things!) became airborne from the truck's load and landed on my poor MINI. I swear it had to be the size of a window frame, probably about 3'x4'! Thankfully it somehow missed the windshield and my sunroof, but now I have a dent about the size of a silver dollar and maybe a few small scratches. I'm actually pretty surprised at how little damage it did considering how loud of a noise it made when it hit my car. One of my friends was with me at the time so I've got a witness and she was able to get the truck's license plate and company information (I had tried to pull alongside to get the driver's attention but I don't think he even noticed what happened at all), and based on the recommendation of my insurance company I'll be filing a police report and getting a few repair estimates we can present to the installation company's insurance. I'm going to go to my dealer's (MINI of Annapolis) collision center to see what they think, but does anybody have any other recommendations for places I might want to try?

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Glenn

MINIkoma - LB/B 2010 Cooper S; ordered 11/3, entered production 11/4 (week 46)!

I'm so sick of all the contractor trucks around here piled high with ladders and other construction crap. I suspect many of them are illegally loaded. I've also seen things fly off of them from time to time, thankfully not hitting me or another vehicle that I could tell. There needs to be a crackdown!:security:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I think I actually ducked when I read that post! From personal experience, it's doubtful that you or your insurance company will ever get a single penny from the owner of the truck. After my "run in" with a dump truck on the beltway, I learned that lots of companies have a convoluted system of registering and insuring their trucks so it's hard to get to the actual responsible parties and on top of that, the drivers will simply deny that they were in the area when the incident occured.

I'm glad you are safe and the damage is minimal. Not sure who your insurance is but if they will let you use Pohanka (Alexandria), my wife and I have both had work done there in the past year and they turn out first rate stuff.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Bodyshop guy here!

Remember in VA YOU and YOU alone decide where the vehicle gets repaired, no matter WHO is paying for the repairs.

It's illegal for the insurance company to "steer" you to any shop for the repairs. An estimate, yes, but NOT for repairs!

If you need any advice, just ask up.