Now you don't :D

For those who haven't had a look yet.

The Stow n Go retractor from AltecProducts.com, and pre painted chili red bumper plugs from bumperplugs.com. OK Got that part out of the way!

The Stow n Go works via remote, comes with two. I actually put it on back before Christmas. I think the most fun I had was at the one car show I've been to since, the Euro one in Vienna for Toys for Tots. Stood back a way and would retract it occasionally as people from other cars walked up. The Euro 'Tuner' crowd loved it! hahahahahahahaha

I've hated the look of the tag in front of the aero kit since day one. The bumper plugs I guess I could buy and paint, but these are perfect in appearance and I don't mind the look of them at all. I was going to do a tow hook mount but searched the hot rod sites and what have you till I found this.

They have a manual version you can just grab and push under or pull out too for half the $. I had thought to have one wired to the ignition, but it's a simple widget you have to hold the button till it's all the way out or in. So to wire it to ignition would require a timed latch circuit. I decided to order anyway as I leave the tag visible MOST of the time. I really only retract it at MINI and other 'car functions'.

Mark,

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a LONG time!!! WOW. The aero kit definitely looks better without the plate in the way.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Bravo Mark - that is awesome! Bravo! I think you've just started a trend in the MINI community (saw your NAM post too). :)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Thanks guys. I sure like it. I had the car out at Mach V a couple weeks ago for a exhaust tweak, and one of the techs came back and asked about it, they noticed it under the car. I handed him the remote. He came back a in a bit to return it and told me I'd just sold about 5 of them. Hahahahahhah

Off topic, but since I mentioned them, the guys at Mach V were a big help again. I'd developed a rattle in my Magnaflow. They dropped it and managed to shake and bang out the loose flotsom that had accumulated in the resonator. I've read of Millteks doing that too. Put er all back and now nice and quiet. Well, hardly quiet actually but no rattle! :D

That is awesome! How hard was it to install? And where did you order it from? I didn't see a link or prices on their site.

What he said! :D

I've got a tow hook kit now, but if/when I get the JCW aero kit the Stow & Go seems like a great product.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just ordered one via Amazon.com. That is just way too cool to ignore. I recently had the aero kit installed, and I bought a really nice tow hook mount for the license plate, so there are no holes in the bumper... but this solution is so much more elegant!

I wonder if we can get away with driving around with the plate retracted?

If we get pulled over, we can quickly hit the button to put it back out. Hehehe.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

That is awesome! How hard was it to install? And where did you order it from? I didn't see a link or prices on their site.

What he said! :D

I've got a tow hook kit now, but if/when I get the JCW aero kit the Stow & Go seems like a great product.

I just ordered one via Amazon.com. That is just way too cool to ignore. I recently had the aero kit installed, and I bought a really nice tow hook mount for the license plate, so there are no holes in the bumper... but this solution is so much more elegant!

I wonder if we can get away with driving around with the plate retracted?

If we get pulled over, we can quickly hit the button to put it back out. Hehehe.

Well, Edge just supplied a place to buy it, Amazon. :D I bought it from some Mustang site by googlin' the phrase stow n go. Easy to install. The Aero Kit bumper has a nice flat middle area it nestles into. You do have to cut a notch in the plastic lip that protrudes down under the bumper. Quick operation with a dremel. The gap isn't visible once this is installed. You drill a couple holes underneath the bumper skin. Push in some rubber things with metal nuts in them, akin to a molly bolt function. Run the wires up, find a place to stick the box and connect ground and power.

I have no idea how well it would fit under a stock bumper.

Oh, and Edge, I was showing it to someone about two weeks ago. I gave them the remote to play and we went back into the restaurant. They left the tag hidden which I didn't notice. Within 20 minutes a Arlington Meter Maid had ticketed my car for 'no front tag displayed', and no the meter was not expired. They wrote it up just because of the tag. So add $40.00 to the cost of my set up! Hahahahahaa

Edited by MMatarella

Here you go - easy linkage:

Amazon.com - Show N Go License Plate Holder (manual) - $49.95

Amazon.com - Show N Go License Plate Holder (powered w/remote) - $149.95

BTW, only 4 of the powered ones left in stock as I type this. :angel:

Thanks guys. I sure like it. I had the car out at Mach V a couple weeks ago for a exhaust tweak, and one of the techs came back and asked about it, they noticed it under the car. I handed him the remote. He came back a in a bit to return it and told me I'd just sold about 5 of them. Hahahahahhah

Off topic, but since I mentioned them, the guys at Mach V were a big help again. I'd developed a rattle in my Magnaflow. They dropped it and managed to shake and bang out the loose flotsom that had accumulated in the resonator. I've read of Millteks doing that too. Put er all back and now nice and quiet. Well, hardly quiet actually but no rattle! :D

It is cool, but a word of caution from an former cop. Even if you do not have it retracted the fact that it can be is against the traffic code. Be carefull who sees you do that.

VA Traffic code says:

Place the plates on the

front and rear of your vehicle so that they are securely

fastened and clearly visible at all times.

Edited by JustJAY
Deleted code junk

It is cool, but a word of caution from an former cop. Even if you do not have it retracted the fact that it can be is against the traffic code. Be carefull who sees you do that.

VA Traffic code says:

Place the plates on the

front and rear of your vehicle so that they are securely

fastened and clearly visible at all times.

Well true. Of course it IS securely fastened. :) And I really usually only retract it on private property generally at a car show type thing but your point is taken and thanks for the heads up. I do appreciate the spirit in which you offer this advice.

You have struck a raw nerve though! :D Since it's my thread, I'll allow myself a little tiny bit of rant mixed into my 'rationalization'.

It's illegal to run red lights but no one seems to care enough to enforce that. Including officers sitting waiting at the light watching everyone roll through. Given the almost total anarchy on Northern VA roads I'm afraid my days of worrying about the 'letter of the law' re: traffic code are long gone. I'm all for the spirit of the law and am a 'good citizen' on the road. Realistically I really don't see my retracting my plate at MINI meets at the dealer and Car shows at grassy fields as a 'issue' though.

If some wonderful peace officer disagrees and walks the grass field at Britain on the Green say, to give me a ticket well god bless his or her pea pickin' little heart. :D I'll laugh, pay it, and continue to fume that the 'officers' time might be better spent enforcing at the red lights and stops signs in Alexandria. Or running radar on the GW parkway where I'm passed every single day by cars doing roughly double the 45 mph limit I'm doing.

On the other hand at other times they are putting themselves in harms way protecting the rest of us in countless ways so I'll fume to myself, smile and just laugh it off.

P.S. I THOUGHT Northern Virginia had the worst, most aggresive, rude, sense of entitlement get out of my way drivers anywhere. Alas I drove around Miami a few weeks ago. :D Now I know better!

No worries! I had the holes too. If you look at my bumper closely you can see the color matched plugs there I got. I thought they might bother me color matched or not, but I have to admit even as picky as I can get I don't find them bothersome. If you wanted to do this or a tow hook plate mount I'd recommend bumperplugs.com

I'd rather not have had it drilled, but they do a good job and are similar in appearnace to the PDC plugs on the back bumper.