TGGRRR (Ali)

Tigger's new dash look

I'm not done totally yet, I still have to take the Tach apart and paint it's trim. I am done with the center trim and I really like the look. Here's a pic. The picture shows the trim a bit lighter then it actually is, I took this with the Droid, I'll eventually get out there with the good camera. It's pretty much a pumpkin orange

Ali

59cedb62328d8_Tiggersdash.jpg.389bc7b4fb6c1829ffa2a4e655f9717b.jpg

59cedb62328d8_Tiggersdash.jpg.389bc7b4fb6c1829ffa2a4e655f9717b.jpg

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

It looks good! :congrats: I'm glad I could inspire you. :biggrin:

Curious question though... why didn't you go for actual Hot Orange paint?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

It looks good! :congrats: I'm glad I could inspire you. :biggrin:

Curious question though... why didn't you go for actual Hot Orange paint?

I went with this because I knew I'd know how to work with the paint. If I went with the manufacturers paint I probably would have needed someone to paint it for me.

Plus this way, you inspired me, but I didn't copy you. Now, that it's done, I really like this look. I wouldn't use it though on any part that would be near the body color. This is separated enough to work.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

I went with this because I knew I'd know how to work with the paint. If I went with the manufacturers paint I probably would have needed someone to paint it for me.

Plus this way, you inspired me, but I didn't copy you. Now, that it's done, I really like this look. I wouldn't use it though on any part that would be near the body color. This is separated enough to work.

Perhaps that can be a new adventure? Learning how to paint stuff with metallic paint? The guy who MoS farms this out to (and who did mine) has explained that he has to use a heat gun shortly after applying, because if the paint isn't dried quickly, it runs because it is so heavy from the metal flakes.

As for concern about copying me, I wouldn't have minded one bit! :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Perhaps that can be a new adventure? Learning how to paint stuff with metallic paint? The guy who MoS farms this out to (and who did mine) has explained that he has to use a heat gun shortly after applying, because if the paint isn't dried quickly, it runs because it is so heavy from the metal flakes.

As for concern about copying me, I wouldn't have minded one bit! :top:

You know I'm an artist, and for me Tigger is a big ongoing art project. I really, don't want to copy what someone else does. It goes against my artistic nature where we can spend hours talking about the difference between inspiration and copying. I know you can't avoid it totally, I mean blacking out the beltline and headlights etc is copying, but it's the kind of mod that doesn't have a lot of directions to go. If I'm doing something really unique I like to make it my own.

I also, really, really wanted to do this mod on my own. I suppose if I knew the technique with the car paint I would have gone that way. But I think you need an air brush system to paint with that stuff. I found some really cool paints, but they all needed to be applied with an airbrush which I don't own.

Anyway, I really like the look I have, and the project was really easy. So, if I want to change the color later, I know it's not a big deal.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

OK that's cool, Ali. I wasn't knocking what you did, it really does look great! I was only curious.

I was also thinking ahead that you could become DCMM's "paint your MINI trim" expert. :wink:

OK that's cool, Ali. I wasn't knocking what you did, it really does look great! I was only curious.

I was also thinking ahead that you could become DCMM's "paint your MINI trim" expert. :wink:

Wouldn't that be fun! Maybe I do need an airbrush :biggrin:

Tggrrr010.jpg

Wouldn't that be fun! Maybe I do need an airbrush :biggrin:
Haha... now I've got you thinking! Who knew I wouldn't only be a "bad influence" on MINI stuff but on artsie stuff too? :tongue: (I am totally non-artistic, although I thoroughly appreciate art as an observer)

Everyone is artistic, you just need to find your comfort zone.
Well, if designing network systems is an artform... my brain is totally wired for logic... things that make sense.... A+B=C, etc. not art! :smile:
You do have me thinking.... Hmmm an air brush and learn some painting techniques. It can't be that different from painting on glass. What could I do:questionmark:
There you go! Start researching airbrush equipment! :tongue:

Ali, looks great! One more idea... Black Gauge Face! They make 'em! You might even be able to get one at MOTD. :top:

Example Here

102-361_1.jpg

We're SOO bad making each other spend money!!!

Edited by Scavenger

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Not really, but I've seen folks getting it done at MOTD. I just can't remember which vendor was doing them...

Does anyone else remember? Please advise!

you're right! Is it hard to take the speedo apart to replace it?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

Bring the paint, because it would be cool to paint the little center pieces of the gauge needles!! I'm just suggesting though, I realize this is your project.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

Not the needle, but the little center piece that the needle sticks out of.

The speedo needle is already pretty much an exact match. What color is the tach needle? I could paint that one, I have a ton of paint

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

The speedo needle is already pretty much an exact match. What color is the tach needle? I could paint that one, I have a ton of paint
Ali - I'm pretty sure that Alan meant the small silver piece at the center of the needle. Not the needle itself... the part that the needle attaches to!

Alan,

I think you were looking for something that used to be sold by Lyles Vinyls or Aesthetic Creations. I didn't see it on their website any longer though. I remember those though and they were cool!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Hmmm, It looks like MOSS MINI still sells them, if you scroll up to the picture I posted, I made the picture into a link, so just click it and that'll take you to MOSS's site.

Ali, I'm not sure whether you would be able to order them and have them arrive in time. Maybe check the vendor list for MOTD. I'm kinda grabbing tid bits here and there since I haven't looked into this in a while. I hope it works out though since it would be so cool.

Alan,

I think you were looking for something that used to be sold by Lyles Vinyls or Aesthetic Creations. I didn't see it on their website any longer though. I remember those though and they were cool!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

Hey, I just checked and OUTMOTORING has them on their website. They will have a tent at MOTD, so maybe you're in luck with them!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com