cmcveay

Revolution Motorworks (RMW) tuning day at Mach V

Jan Brueggemann from Revolution Mini Works will be doing the tuning. Each tune takes about 1.5 hours, and costs $465 (R53 cars) or $640 (R56 cars). That cost includes dyno rental, air/fuel analysis, and Jan's tuning. You'll get before-and-after dyno graphs you can keep.

PM Dan or call him at (571) 434-8333 to reserve a slot. We will take a credit card to reserve your slot, although we won't charge your card until the day of the event. (You can cancel up to five days in advance without penalty, but after that you will forfeit your payment if you cancel or don't show up.)

Note from Events Coordinator: Please communicate with Dan to secure your time slot and I'll update the schedule below so folks know what times are open.

Rough schedule:

Friday May 13

9:00 am 2006 R53 silvrcelt

10:30 am 2010 Clubman JCW

12:00

1:30 pm 2007 Cooper S lasernate

3:00 pm

4:30 pm

Saturday May 14

9:00 am R56 Bigprfed22

10:30 am R53 Claymore

12:00 09 R56

1:30 pm 2003 R53 drsilvermini

3:00 pm 2007 Cooper S MiniCuse

4:30 pm 2005 R53 briann0758

--Dan

Mach V

FastMINI.net

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

What about if the next tune i get is supposed to be free? will you just charge dyno time?

2010 MCS Laurel edition RMW Tune ;-), ALTA FMIC, Invidia Q300 Exhaust, NM Eng. CAI, NM Discharge pipe, NM Charge pipe, NM Strut brace, Open hood scoop, Stri Boost gauge, Craven Speed shiftwell(black), BSH CC, and many more goodies!.

Hey Ryan,

I would recommend reading some of the responses from last years RMW tunes :rock:

http://dcmetrominis.org/forum/topic/702-mini-tuning-days-at-mach-v-april-25-26/?do=findComment&comment=7683

I for one will be doing the tune on my 05 MCS. From what I have read and heard it is well worth the money.

With my current mods. CAI / Pulley swap / JCW exhaust, I am hoping it will make a nice difference.

Later Brian

2012 Jeep Rubicon

I can't find much info about this tune online. I am debating doing it, but $640 is a lot to drop if I don't know much about the outcome :(
It's the single most significant power bump you can make. It's absolutely worth it.

The only catch... if you plan on making more power mods (in terms of actual parts), it's probably best to wait until after you have those mods installed, then get the tune. Otherwise you'll want a re-tune after installing the mods.

To quote myself from when I had my MINI tuned (at last year's RMW/Mach V tuning day):

Just got back from having my car tuned. All I can say is... holy crap!

Baseline run: 160 whp, 147 wtq

Final run: 179 whp, 158 wtq

That's a gain of 19 whp and 12 wtq! Almost 12% more horsepower and 7.5% more torque. Much more than I expected. :biggrin: Since the 1st Gen JCW is rated at 207 hp (at the crankshaft, not the wheels), I can roughly extrapolate my car to now have a little over 231 hp at the crank (if the same measuring system was used).

Absolutely the best $450 I've ever spent on my MINI. :top:

That's on my 1st Gen MCS w/JCW kit (and GP intercooler). Craig (cmcveay) stated that his gain with his 2nd Gen MCS was a 13% gain in horsepower and 7% gain in torque.

Don't hesitate. You won't regret it! :motor:

Here's video of one of my dyno runs on the tuning day:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Ryan,

I've got my dyno sheet at the house but where the car is now isn't even close to where it was when I had the tune done last year. Jan has fixed a couple of minor issues and he's found some things that have made some significant changes to the way the car behaves. If you get the tune, you'll benefit from those fixes and changes.

I don't remember where you live but I'm in Annandale so if you happen to be around that area, you are welcome to get in touch and either come by the house to go for a test/demo ride or I can meet you somewhere.

Another DCMM member just had a canned tune (not a custom job) and the results via text message started off with "Holy $h!T Batman!, it's a little blue rocket now." He mentioned being at 75mph before realizing it...

I think I mentioned this in another post but here's the reader's digest verion. When I had the tune done, I'd put on a Borla Sport exhaust, Riss Racing Downpipe and a DDM Street Cold air intake and the baseline dyno run had it at 167 HP and I don't remember the torque. According to MINI's website that's the HP that the car was supposed to make off the showroom floor. After the tune, I was sitting just under 190 HP and a little over 200ftlbs of torque. I've since added a Forge intercooler and had 4 updates to the tune. If the torque reading of the scanguage II or the Dashboard Commander app can be trusted, they both indicate an even greater increase (15% indicated) on top of the initial gains.

The car really will scare the pants off of you now if you don't expect it and you stomp on it. It builds to 18psi in a matter of seconds and your passenger will not be able to reach the dash if you don't want them to.

Simply put, there is no other mod that you can do on a 2nd Gen MINI that will give you such a substantial increase in HP/TQ for the $$$. And, with the custom tune, you've got the dyno sheet to prove it so there's no guesswork.

I can't find much info about this tune online. I am debating doing it, but $640 is a lot to drop if I don't know much about the outcome :(
Edited by cmcveay
fixed typos

Thanks for all the input!

My only other question is this:

Most of the people responding have mentioned significant improvements due to the tune have at least a couple performance mods on their MINI pre-tune. Is the performance increase due to better utilization of the performance mods, or will a stock R56 (no performance mods) see a good improvement as well?

Also: Just got my MINI serviced at MoS and they mentioned that my front 2 tires are wearing pretty thin. Bottom-line I need new tires. Will the very worn tires on the front affect the tune? (And/Or their willingness to run it on the dyno?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your at a meet ill give you a ride:rock: Im running 20psi and will be at the dyno day for my clean up tune. Good stuff

2010 MCS Laurel edition RMW Tune ;-), ALTA FMIC, Invidia Q300 Exhaust, NM Eng. CAI, NM Discharge pipe, NM Charge pipe, NM Strut brace, Open hood scoop, Stri Boost gauge, Craven Speed shiftwell(black), BSH CC, and many more goodies!.

SOOOOO.... TEMPTING!!!!!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Ryan,

Shoot Dan at Mach V an email re: the tires, it's his dyno so he'll let you know the straight scoop.

As far as mods, it's a basic fact that an engine that "breathes better" will tune better. A free flowing exhaust and a smoother, less restrictive intake just lets it work more efficiently. That said, the tune will still make a big difference in how your car runs. Contact Jan to see what kind of deal he's running for updated tunes as well. He may be willing to make a deal with you to update your tune if/when you add other mods. You'll find that Jan is a really nice guy and he's pretty darn easy to work with.

Craig

Katie,

Jan is a vendor at the Dragon and he'll be doing tunes! It won't be a custom dyno tune but it'll still get your attention! All is not lost!

Okay. Just wanted to let you know that he'd be there. I don't know if there have been any "new and exciting" discoveries in the ECU tune for the 1st Gens like there as been for us 2nd Gen folks. I know the boost/torque "unlock" for 1st and 2nd gear was a big step forward for us!

I have these unlocked as of now :rock: with one of the flashes that had 18psi. awesome to have almost full power in 1st. When i switched to my 20psi flash the limiter is back and i cant wait to have it lifted:top:

Okay. Just wanted to let you know that he'd be there. I don't know if there have been any "new and exciting" discoveries in the ECU tune for the 1st Gens like there as been for us 2nd Gen folks. I know the boost/torque "unlock" for 1st and 2nd gear was a big step forward for us!

:top:

I also wish this was a few more weeks out, I'd like to have at least a few mods before I think about a tune. I will be there though...maybe I could get a demo ride in someones mini with more "kick" :biggrin:

I also wish this was a few more weeks out, I'd like to have at least a few mods before I think about a tune. I will be there though...maybe I could get a demo ride in someones mini with more "kick" :biggrin:
Since you have a 1st Gen, you'll probably want a demo from another 1st Gen. I'll be happy to do that for you. Note though that I also have the JCW Tuning Kit and the GP Intercooler, so that might exaggerate it for you a little (if you don't have any mods). However, if you have the 15% pulley, CAI and possibly an improved exhaust, your results will end up being about the same overall power as mine (just a little less "smooth").

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I am really looking forward to the tune :rock:

Dan posted the following on the planning thread that he started:

"Okay, we've got a full schedule for Saturday, but not for Friday. Jan needs two days' worth of work to make it worth his coming out. If you've been thinking you might want to do it, now's the time!"

So if you know of anyone thinking about getting a tune please have them sign up ASAP.

I would really hate it if this did not happen :frown:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

We have a greyhound event that entire weekend.

HOWEVER - if someone will take care of Nigel for me, I'm in.

Hey Jim, Did you find someone to take Nigel to the tune :questionmark:

I would love to help but taking time off on Friday would be tough and I have a charity sporting clay event most of the day on Saturday.

2012 Jeep Rubicon