LV2CRNR

Cold start engine noise.

If anyone with a 2007+ MINI has engine noise on cold starts in cold weather should take it to the dealer to get it check out. I was told that it has no side effects on the engine so I let it go for a while and wish I didn't. Just got my JCW clubman back after 2 days from MINI of Sterling. They had to redo my timing chain and tensioner. The mechanic also said my car's timing had been off effecting my mpg and performance. I thought I had clutch issue's which ended up being the engine. Car is great now and I got a nice power increase since my engine is working properly and they also gave me the updated engine tune. I just wanted to let people know because I could have lost my engine if I left it much longer.

Jason

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've had this issue with my '09 JCW as well. I took it into MoA and they were unable to repeat it so wouldn't do any further work (I even took it in during a cold streak). I was very insistent but they still wouldn't do any work on the timing chain unless the cold start could be repeated - all they did was check the oil level to make sure it wasn't low.

The last time it happened I took a recording of it - hopefully that will suffice. Whenever I've experienced it, I've let the car idle with no throttle for 15 minutes or so until it's completely gone - I'm paranoid about putting any stress on the engine when I know there might be a timing issue. Sucks when I'm running late for work in the morning...

I post stuff on my MINI here: http://techometerblog.com/

Convince them to keep it overnight so they can start it up in the morning. Unless you pack a lunch and a dinner, it's not going to get cold enough to duplicate the conditions.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Question related to this matter...is this an issue only with MINI Ss&JCWs or is it an issue with all turbos? I asked a similar question on NAM but have received no repsonses..., i.e. I wanted to know if this a technical/enginerring issue or a quality control issue at the factory or some of both? I'm interested in your comments. Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hawkeye,

I don't remember any of the "Justa" crowd mentioning the problem so I don't know if any of them have had the issue. That said, it's something that can happen to 2nd Gen S and JCW's. It seems like it would be every car across the board if it was an engineering issue so a QA/QC issue seems more likely but there could be a little of an engineering issue in there as well.

Well, it's finally my turn for this. I started Cricket this afternoon and she was making a terrible noise. I was near MoS, so I stopped in. The SA was shocked I hadn't had the timing chain replaced yet and is pretty sure that's the issue.

Here's my question: I can't take her in until Monday. The SA said it was fine to drive her, but should I? What about the run on Saturday?

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Wow, tough call Laura. From the posts that I've seen, the problem presents itself when cold and as the car warms up, it goes away but the next morning, it's back again. It's kind of hard to second guess the SA. Maybe you should just drive Cricket constantly between now and the Spring Fling! That way, it doesn't get cold! :)

I had similar concerns with an issue right before MTTS. I was assured that I'd be fine to drive to Denver and back, so I did.

If the SA says you'll be fine, drive her. If you're in doubt, get a second opinion.

If you don't want to drive but still want to participate, I have room for a co-pilot :tongue:

It'll be fine to drive, I took a year to get my timing chain fixed. So a week ain't bad. If your out of warranty laurayou might want to get some quotes. Heard it's pretty pricey.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks everyone!

I've decided not to take her on the Spring Fling Run, but I'll continue to drive around town.

I'm out of warranty by 3000 miles. The SA said he's going to try to get it covered. If not, I have an extended warranty, so I'll be ok on the cost.

I believe this has been going on for a long time and it just recently got worse. I mentioned it to PMoA on one of my recent visits and they just added oil and said it was fine. :questionmark:

Laura, they may not have driven it that much or were just to busy to notice, also, it is noisy in the shop, so they may simply have not heard it.

Glad you have warranty coverage so you'll don't have to fear missing MOTD!! Everyone is counting on you being there for the shoe challenge!

...get it.... counting on? :rofl:

Thanks everyone!

I've decided not to take her on the Spring Fling Run, but I'll continue to drive around town.

I'm out of warranty by 3000 miles. The SA said he's going to try to get it covered. If not, I have an extended warranty, so I'll be ok on the cost.

I believe this has been going on for a long time and it just recently got worse. I mentioned it to PMoA on one of my recent visits and they just added oil and said it was fine. :questionmark:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Laura, they may not have driven it that much or were just to busy to notice, also, it is noisy in the shop, so they may simply have not heard it.

Glad you have warranty coverage so you'll don't have to fear missing MOTD!! Everyone is counting on you being there for the shoe challenge!

...get it.... counting on? :rofl:

There is NO WAY I will miss MOTD!!! I don't care if I have to take a Zipcar, I'll be there! :biggrin: