Hello everyone:

Quick question regarding brake replacement cost. Got word from MoS that our buggy is getting close to the point where we'll need to do some brake work. We've got approximately 38K miles on our 2006 MCSa - no sensor indication that the pads are too worn but we're probably getting close. MoS quoted a little over $600.00 for the job (pads and rotors) - can anyone recommend other locations in northern Virginia I should check or are there upcoming DIY classes? Thanks for the intel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Greeley" - Old English for grey meadow

2006 MCSa, DS/B, blk leather, blk bonnet stripes

That price is about right. I recently got new brakes on my '06. I went with the JCW upgrade since the price wasn't that much more. Ask them for a quote on that and compare.

If you want to stay with stock but improve the performance, I'm sure others in the club can recommend aftermarket brands for replacement pads and rotors.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Thanks Scavenger. BTW, did MoS provide a DCMM discount?

That price is about right. I recently got new brakes on my '06. I went with the JCW upgrade since the price wasn't that much more. Ask them for a quote on that and compare.

If you want to stay with stock but improve the performance, I'm sure others in the club can recommend aftermarket brands for replacement pads and rotors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep. It helped make the decision ;)

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

If you are interested in DIY and want to upgrade, you can get EBC green stuff pads and EBC slotted rotors from minicarparts.net (no affiliation) for about $430. MINI brakes are very easy to change, even for someone who hasn't done a brake job before. Here's a write-up I did a couple of years ago. The hardest part is getting the rear pistons to rotate back in -- you need a special tool for that -- but it's cheap and easily available at multiple places including Harbor Freight. It's a bit more complicated if you are changing the rotors too, but not much.

I would be very surprised if you need rotors at 38K miles. Are they wavy or is there a visible lip? You may want a second opinion on that one. You can get stock pads (both sets) for around $150 and stock rotors (all 4) for around $220 from Morristown MINI in NJ. Don't know what shipping would be. (EBC pads are only $30 to $40 more and much less dusty. I don't know what MINI makes their pads out of, but chaulk must be a key ingredient.)

If you don't want to DIY, you might want to call around to Funktion Auto, I think they're out near you. Or Dan Martin in Gaithersburg. If you get up Frederick way, try Scott at Frederick Motorsports. Scott has done a lot of work on my MINI and has very reasonable rates.

Hope that helps.

--George

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."-- Enzo Ferrari

Spec R53 Racing

GeorgeCo MINI Blog

Thanks much for the info George. I was surprised the rotors were included in the quote from MoS - I'd heard from several sources the stock rotors were not made of the strongest material and it was common to replace them at the same time as the pads. I'll shop around. And thanks again for the advice.

If you are interested in DIY and want to upgrade, you can get EBC green stuff pads and EBC slotted rotors from minicarparts.net (no affiliation) for about $430. MINI brakes are very easy to change, even for someone who hasn't done a brake job before. Here's a write-up I did a couple of years ago. The hardest part is getting the rear pistons to rotate back in -- you need a special tool for that -- but it's cheap and easily available at multiple places including Harbor Freight. It's a bit more complicated if you are changing the rotors too, but not much.

I would be very surprised if you need rotors at 38K miles. Are they wavy or is there a visible lip? You may want a second opinion on that one. You can get stock pads (both sets) for around $150 and stock rotors (all 4) for around $220 from Morristown MINI in NJ. Don't know what shipping would be. (EBC pads are only $30 to $40 more and much less dusty. I don't know what MINI makes their pads out of, but chaulk must be a key ingredient.)

If you don't want to DIY, you might want to call around to Funktion Auto, I think they're out near you. Or Dan Martin in Gaithersburg. If you get up Frederick way, try Scott at Frederick Motorsports. Scott has done a lot of work on my MINI and has very reasonable rates.

Hope that helps.

--George

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks much for the info George. I was surprised the rotors were included in the quote from MoS - I'd heard from several sources the stock rotors were not made of the strongest material and it was common to replace them at the same time as the pads. I'll shop around. And thanks again for the advice.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that MINI's policy on brake jobs is that pads and rotors are changed together, regardless of actual rotor wear. If that is indeed the case, then it's entirely possible your rotors are fine for continued use. I don't know the minimum width specs, however.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that MINI's policy on brake jobs is that pads and rotors are changed together, regardless of actual rotor wear.

My impression is that modern maintenance schedules are a lot like health plans: When you are under warranty, that's like being in an HMO since the manufacturer is picking up the cost. For example, they've decided you can go 10,000 or even 15,000 miles between oil changes, because the cost of delayed maintenance won't be theirs. They put the first brake service just outside of the warranty period, hoping most customers won't come back to get the suggested brake fluid change at two years. Once you're out of warranty, you're a cash-paying patient, so they recommend changing the rotors when you change the pads. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but I'm a cynic at heart.

Anyway, the Bentley manual lists the following limits for MINI R50/R50 rotors: Front 22mm (0.866 inches) new; 19mm (0.748 inches) wear limit. Rear 10mm (0.394) new; 7mm (0.276 wear limit). Minimum pad thickness is 3mm (1/8 inch). A good rule of thumb is to replace the pad when it appears to be the same thickness of the backing plate.

I think some places will suggest replacing the rotors at the mid-point between the two. The logic being that you will likely reach the wear-limit before you wear out the new pad, so the conservative recommendation is to replace the rotor sooner.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."-- Enzo Ferrari

Spec R53 Racing

GeorgeCo MINI Blog

I would appreciate some assistance in identifying, including the specs, ceramic brake pads for my new 2009 Clubman S. I am very tired of cleaning/washing the wheels with OE brake pads. If anyone has such info, it is much appreciated. Thank you

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With only 400 miles on my car, I notice why black wheels seem to be popular. The petal is also a lot touchier than I am used to, so I was considering Hawk HPS for the fronts at least. I love them on my RSX ( with power-slots) HPS take a little more petal but do give better modulation when you are really on them. Aren't greens a bit hard for street use?

Our stock rotors are pretty soft and wear quickly. I just ordered aftermarket rotors and pads for my wife's JCW brakes from Tirerack for $220... I went with the EBC pads.

The rotors are stronger and lighter than stock and the pads are better and less dusty... I bought the Wear sensor and SS brake lines from Moss Mini- the sensors were only $13....

I will do the work myself next weekend.... I have tools, jacks, and most importantly a Motive BRAKE BLEEDER! You can swap pads and rotors on both wheels in 30 minutes if you have any mechanical ability- since the rotors are part of the replacement no resurfacing is necessary just seating of the pads.

I offer my services or coaching for anyone interested... I have gotten good with the brakes only b/c I have installed and de-installed my Detroit Tuned kit a million times due to issues.

Joel

My Flickr Site

The proud owner of a 2005 DS/B MCS-JCW...God is my Co-Pilot, but Satan has his foot on the Gas!!!

Half of a two JCW family, I am the fast one!

Sorry, I went with Hawk Pads...

Here is the same set up for your 06 assuming no JCW brakes

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads&group=HPS+Street+brake+pads&autoMake=Mini&autoModel=Cooper+S&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Built+After+5%2F06&perfCode=S

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Centric&model=Premium+Rotor&group=Premium+Rotor&autoMake=Mini&autoModel=Cooper+S&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Built+After+5%2F06&perfCode=S

There are other rotor options for you but you are looking at 140 in parts...

BTW, I ordered the parts yesterday with normal delivery and my wife was just complaining about a heavy package from Tirerack she just carried in the house.... hmmm wonder what that could be :rofl:

Joel

My Flickr Site

The proud owner of a 2005 DS/B MCS-JCW...God is my Co-Pilot, but Satan has his foot on the Gas!!!

Half of a two JCW family, I am the fast one!