RyanMBlue

Regular Maintenance

I bought my '09 MCS back in August. Since then I have put around 8500 miles on it. The onboard computer is telling me that it is estimating another 4000 miles before its next service.

I was told that the car's computer will calculate and tell me when I need to bring it in for service, and that in the "Service-Info" menu it will tell me how many miles until it thinks the next service will be required.

My question is this: The computer has yet to let me know that it needs a service. I have never had a car where 8500 miles later it still does not need some form of service, be it an oil change or whatever. Is this normal? Do I need to schedule a service even though there is nothing pending in the onboard?

I am planning on driving down to the outer banks in around 2 weeks, so I was just checking if I need to get a service before then.

Thanks for the input!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I bought my 08S I thought the same thing.I took it to the dealer just in case since i was going cross country in the MINI .They told me just drive it till the service light change oil light comes on.I just made sure it didn't run low on oil .Buy a quart of oil just in case its low.:top:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do yourself a favor and have the oil changed. (Pay for it yourself if you have too) Mini seems to think that 17,000 miles is just fine for an oil change interval. But all they really care about is having the car make it past warranty time. After that, they will be glad to have you buy a new engine.

If the car is still under the 3 year free maintenance program, they will perform the oil service, every year regardless of mileage left before the computer says so.

No matter where you go, there you are!

I get Cricket's oil changed every 5000 miles. I take her to Mach V, it's around $85, which is much better than what the dealer charges.

I'm not aware of any problems directly caused by only changing the oil when MINI tells you to (that doesn't mean there haven't been any), but I just can't bring myself to wait that long.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I agree with all of the above, I can't buy into the fact that ANY oil will be good for 12 months or the mileage accrued in that time span. I take my one freebie per year from MINI and I pay for two out of my own pocket. It's a small price to pay and it will ensure your car continues to run well.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I live in Burke but would be happy to help you with an oil change. I have the ramps & others tools needed. If you could come by before Saturday evening, we can change the oil. I highly recommed an OEM filter; they come with a new "o ring" and drain plug washer/gasket. Let me know! :wavey:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]