Don David

Shorter Antenna

Anyone have any experience with purchasing/installing a shorter replacement antenna?

I am looking for a lower profile one that still pulls in the signal well.

And where to get it.

Thanks!

David

I've got the 4" version from Alta, but they are all basically the same so mostly it's a matter of picking the style or company branding you like ;)

As for reception, I haven't had any issue but I haven't made a study of how far away from a station I can be and get reception.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As far as reception goes, I went a whole week once without a stock antenna (forgot to put it back in after I washed the car) and didn't notice any drop off in quality. Unless you're trying to pull in some obscure low-power FM'er out of Harrisburg, it's all style, IMO.

You can get them from Alta Performance, M7 Tuning, Outmotoring - really anywhere that sells Mini parts/accessories. It'll cost you $20-$30 (probably +shipping).

Oh, forgot to mention Mach V (fastmini.net). Dan's got stubby antennas and you could drive out to his shop and pick it up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone have any experience with purchasing/installing a shorter replacement antenna?

I am looking for a lower profile one that still pulls in the signal well.

And where to get it.

Thanks!

David

I just picked one up from cravenspeed. I have had it a week and I hate to say it but the reception in northern va is much worse with the stubby 4" antenna. I get fewer stations and more static on the ones I still get. I would stick with the stock one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I almost never listen to the radio and instead use my iPod for podcasts, audiobooks and music. So if there is a degradation of signal, I would rarely notice. That and I had the stubby antenna arrive before the MINI so I couldn't even compare the two!

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

I've got a stubby Alta that you are welcome to try out. I replaced it with one of the billet antenna's that Dan has at Mach V. I liked the look and I can change the length of the mast if I like.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold