TGGRRR (Ali)

Installing CF dash

Audrey had this dash in Scoopie and I love it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-MINI-COOPER-S-R50-R52-R53-DASHBOARD-CARBON-CF-COVER_W0QQitemZ200412377287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea98230c7

It's installed with double sided tape though and she's had some issues with getting it to stick properly, she has areas she's had to go back in and glue. My mirror covers and bonnet scoop both have a similar cover and I remember how difficult the double sided tape is to work with because you can't reposition it and it sticks too early.

I am thinking of ordering the dash and removing the tape then install using silicone glue. I suspect it should work better since it's goopy and dries softer then other glues. My thought is a hard glue would not hold up to the rattling in the MINI. I figure with clear silicone I can just shave off any that oozes out where I don't want it. I'm just wondering, anyone see any flaws in this idea? Would it hold up during the various temps? It's basically the same stuff in a clear caulk.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

MINI did make their own CF dash, you know. It was a JCW offering. It didn't go over the top of the existing dash pieces, it was a complete replacement for it.

It'd definitely cost more than the eBay option though. Harder to find as well, as it's no longer made... but there might be some old stock at one of the dealers around the country - or you might find someone selling theirs off their own MINI.

Here's an idea of what it looked like. CF downtubes were also available!

JCW_CF_dash_md.jpg

Found another pic with the downtubes installed too:

JCW_06_2.jpg

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I actually looked into that option and besides the cost, you have to remove the whole dash which looked to be a challenge, given there are airbags etc. In my younger days I would have saved up, bought the dash and done it but I was a gear head then. Now I just want to glue this thing on top and be done with it.

I think the ones I found were around $600 to $800 but I can't remember now.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

I like mine; it was affordable and it looks good! The seller also offers the door rings at $320/set, which isn't 2 bad. I'm thinking of getting them when I can better afford them. They're also stick-ons. I'd LOVE 2 have the downtubes done in CF, as well!

Finding a JCW owner willing 2 part out something like that would be rare, which would warrant a high selling price, IMHO.

image.php?u=25&type=sigpic&dateline=1424

'scuuuuze me while I kiss the sky ~ Jimi

Scoopie's dash looks spectacular, it's not fake CF and you can tell.

Now I just want to figure out the best way to glue it on since you had so many issues with the 2 sided tape

I think using the silicone glue that u mentioned would be fine. I've never used it b4 and have no idea what that entails. The problem w/the 2-sided tape is that u can't use it in the corners or edges, because the pieces won't align properly, and there'll be gaps.

I still have a couple of unruly corners, so I'm using Krazy Glue 2 take care of 'em because: 1) it doesn't take 4ever 2 dry (hold in place 4 30 seconds & u're done!); and 2) it'll last 4ever! :biggrin:

If I ever decide 2 remove it 4 whatever ungodly reason, however, I'd have 2 go the whole route and actually remove the entire dash. :frown: I don't see that happening, tho ... EVER. LOL

In my glass art we use a lot of glues, and super glues can become brittle after time or in cold. Generally we go for something with give and flexibility which made me think of silicone. But I'm not sure how durable that is in the cold either.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Ha! I can imagine!

Elmer's doesn't offer anything like this stuff, and 3M offers a spray (gotta be careful w/that, tho), which does nothing for my situation, but u could use it, since your dash hasn't arrived yet!

Maybe when mine falls off from the cold this winter, I'll try this IQ glue so I won't have 2 worry w/it again.