wyretrip

K&N Intake for F55

I'm out of factory warranty on my 2015 so it is time to pretty some things up a bit. Decided to pick up the K&N intake for the F55. 

I know the intake doesn't add anything material to the performance of the F series, but I think it looks nicer than a box and I understand it enhances the sound of the car. 

It arrives today so I will include some additional pics after installation!

KN_intake-g3_md.jpg

• Like 2

signature-final.png

Looks good!!  Although it  does not add power gains, it does assist in future power gains as it will allow more air to be drawn in increasing flow. Flow is the goal when adding power to a turbo engine. Minimizing air restrictions in always a good first step: high flow intake, larger inter-cooler, high flow exhaust.

What is does do now is likely make the turbo wine more pronounced, so it sounds faster.

• Like 1

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

My concern about these open air filters under the hood vs. drawing from the outside is the temperature of the air. We all know that a cooler, denser charge makes for more power.....

• Like 1

2017 F54 ALL4 Clubman S "Beer Wagon" 

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

45 minutes ago, Gearhead60 said:

My concern about these open air filters under the hood vs. drawing from the outside is the temperature of the air. We all know that a cooler, denser charge makes for more power.....

I felt the same about the open cone filters, but my JCW came with the NM engineering designed one when I bought it. So I decided to feel it out before replacing with an OEM air box with a K&N panel filter. In my option there is a noticeable effect from heat soak when sitting at a light, it is a little flat till about 15mph until fresh air has been drawn in. When moving there is no noticeable difference.

The F series one at least partially seals the cone off from the engine bay, that in combination with a little heat reflective tape/material may prevent the heat soak I get at lights.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

3 minutes ago, 1975_mini said:

The F series one at least partially seals the cone off from the engine bay, that in combination with a little heat reflective tape/material may prevent the heat soak I get at lights.

There is also an intake snorkel that channels outside air to the intake area. While the air is not contained as it is in the OEM air box, I'm hopeful that the difference will be minimal.

IMG_0476.jpg

signature-final.png

I wasn't willing to spend the money for the CAI so I opted for the AFE filter. Butt dyno says about 1% increase in power and sound quality.....

Digital Blue Sport Package w/ LEDs & cornering lights, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stealth Mode, 6-Spd. Manual Trans, Vegan Leather, Cravenspeed Short Shifter w/ Yoda Shift Cap, NM Engineering 25mm GT rear Swaybar & End Links, Chassis Bones Braces, Mirrors that fold w/ the push of a button, Spare Tire.

I'm amazed at all the geniuses that must write the reviews for these things that say it took them 10 minutes to get it done! I'd say it took an hour to make sure I took my time and got things installed the way they wanted. But it's done! 

You sure do hear a lot more from that turbo. I wasn't expecting to hear that turbo shudder quite as pronounced coming out of my car but BAM! There it was!

IMG_20180801_181111.jpg

• Like 2

signature-final.png

Looking at the picture, it would seem that the area where the cone filter sits is sealed by the hood. Assuming this is correct, the feed of air is still coming from the air snorkel, that directly fed the old air box, positioned in front of it. So, it follows that the amount of air the CAI can pull in is no more than when the air box was installed. The only way you will see a chance of increasing performance is by increasing the volume of fresh air to take advantage of the bigger surface area of the filter. I now see why no one publishes a measurable increase in performance with a CAI on the F series cars. BTW, CAI is really a bad label for this part as no more cold air comes into this area than before.....

On the issue of heat sink, I would think with the factory air box supplying fresh air through the snorkel, it likely provides an insulating effect from the engine heat, thereby cancelling out any effective heating of the air from the engine, especially at idle.

Aside from the difference in sound, the visual appeal and the butt dyno feel, I would have to conclude that for performance sake, these intake systems are a waste of money....

1 hour ago, wyretrip said:

This is what K&N provides with the kit.. I will probably never put my car on a dyno to find out what the real world is.. so.. yeah. I also have a 2.0 liter engine so it does not reflect my car anyway.

g3nme2310dyno.jpg

Apples to Oranges in my opinion. Read this article, especially down at the bottowm where they cover the F series cars.... http://www.motoringfile.com/2018/04/20/need-cold-air-intake-system-mini/ 

If you are looking for relatively inexpensive performance gains, buy a Dinan Dinantronix tuner ($300 new, or less used) or the NM Module. I have the Dinantronix and it is a noticable gain in power and performance that is worth the money. I have the earlier model which increases HP by about 30hp, but they now have what they call the Elite model which is a lot more money with substantial more HP.