HasAnMTBProblem

Joey Mod: All black or leave some chrome?

I have a white/white roof R60 with blacked out tail lights, flat black head/tail light rings, will be blacking the belt line, door handles and maybe the emblems too. Going to do the Joey Mod, but can't decide if I should do all black buckets, or leave the ring around the projector chrome. I want to dechrome the entire car, but am thinking all black headlight buckets will cause them to disappear complete due to the white/black contrast.

Thoughts? Example pics?

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

I have a white/white roof R60 with blacked out tail lights, flat black head/tail light rings, will be blacking the belt line, door handles and maybe the emblems too. Going to do the Joey Mod, but can't decide if I should do all black buckets, or leave the ring around the projector chrome. I want to dechrome the entire car, but am thinking all black headlight buckets will cause them to disappear complete due to the white/black contrast.

Thoughts? Example pics?

I have seen a lot of people tie in their cars base color or accent color by painting the chrome ring that color. Not sure how that would look with white. I would maybe go with a gun metal grey on the rings. so it doesn't washout with all black, but you also get rid of the chrome.

Just food for thought

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Yeah, thought about both of those things, too. I was one click away from buying a spray can of Light White, primer, clear, but I just don't think it would look good. As for gunmetal, I'm worried it wouldn't look right with the all black everything I'm doing. I'm probably overthinking it, though.

One thing I thought of last night is scuff it up like brushed metal, mask it off, and spray a gloss clear over it before I do the flat black for the rest of it. That way I still get a contrast but it doesn't look like chrome.

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

Plastidip seems like a good way to get melted goo all over the inside of your headlights.

Plastidip seems like a good way to get melted goo all over the inside of your headlights.

Plastidip is approved up to 200 degrees, but I would not go that route, the easy of peeling if you don't like is cancelled out by the fact it would be sealed in the headlight and you would have to take it all apart again. There are example of people using PD without any issues.

As for the the brushed metal look I like that idea, but I don't think sanding the chrome finish on the plastic ring would give the result you are looking for. I think it would be more likely the finish will crack or flake. There are spray paints that produce a brushed finish (nickle, cooper, etc...), but I do not know how that would do with the heat.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

I did a test using red scotch bright on an emblem. It looks good, but the brush marks are so fine that it kind of loses the effect, looks more like a flat clear over chrome.

Have you thought of using rubber paint?

I was at the dealership this week and talking about making some changes to my chrome as well and they suggested rubber paint which can be pealed off if you don't like it. I found it at Autozone on Little River Turnpike and 395.

No, I haven't tried it.

Have you thought of using rubber paint?

I was at the dealership this week and talking about making some changes to my chrome as well and they suggested rubber paint which can be pealed off if you don't like it. I found it at Autozone on Little River Turnpike and 395.

No, I haven't tried it.

I think you're referring to PlastiDip which is awesome for headlight rings. The Joey Mod is done to the inside of your headlights and not for the faint of heart to try. It's probably too hot in there for plastidip.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg