HasAnMTBProblem

Autocrossing a Mini Countryman, per SCCA

Hi, everyone.

I am really thinking about doing some autocrossing in my R60, but it is excluded from SCCA rules in the Street category. That's all well and good, but there is more than one category, plus sub categories in the street division. I couldn't find any good info out on the webs about what exactly, if any, category I could drive in. I'm not really worried about competing as much as just getting out and having a blast thrashing around a parking lot. However, even events that are not SCCA can sometimes be insured only per SCCA rules, and therefore not allow excluded cars.

So, I sent SEB an email asking about that. Here is what I sent, followed by their response.

Letter ID Number: #21080

Title: Clarification of Mini Countryman Exclusion

Class: Sall

Request: Hi!

I'm a new owner of a Mini Countryman S All4, and would like to autocross it. I know it is listed as excluded for the Street Category, but I'm fuzzy as to how that applies across the board. For instance, does that also apply to Super Street, or A Street, etc? The Countryman is not listed anywhere else in Appendix A as allowed or excluded. So, does that mean that if I modify the car to fit within the acceptable range on the Overall Height-Average Track Width Relationship, then I could run it in a sub-category, such as Super Street, A Street, etc; or maybe in the Street Touring or Street Prepared categories, assuming I meet the technical requirements?

I'm sure you get this sort of question a lot, but I can't find any official documentation on it, just a lot of unclear hearsay and conjecture in forums.

Thanks in advance!

Colby

Hi, Colby,

I’m not the SEB but I am on their calls and attend their meetings. I’ve also been doing this a while and before that I was an active Solo competitor.

The exclusion of the MINI Countryman applies to all Street category classes. That’s why it’s excluded under Street Category before the Street classes begin. It is not allowed in SS, AS, or any other Street category class. It can be allowed in other categories like Street Touring, Street Prepared, or Street Modified because the modifications allowed can get the car compliant with Section 3.1, Eligible Vehicles (page 32 of the 2016 SCCA Solo Rules).

The Countryman has not been classed in the SCCA National Solo Rules because there has not been enough demand. However, Section 1.1 of the Solo Rules (page 21) allows the local SCCA Region to class cars as they see fit. Being a Turbo, I can see the Countryman S running in STX with the MINI Cooper S hardtop and the Subaru WRX (AWD).

As long as a vehicle meets Section 3.1, it’s likely to be allowed to participate in SCCA Solo events.

Hope this helps. I’ll be glad to discuss this further.

-Doug

Doug Gill

SCCA® Solo® Competition Manager

1-800-770-2055

So, it seems we Countryman owners can drive, sufficing we comply with specified rules, and as long as it is not Street or one its sub-categories. How much modding it will take to achieve that, I haven't looked into, yet. Also, depending on who organizes the event, there is potential for wiggle room. I just thought this my be helpful to people that are wondering the same as I was.

Updates:

12/14/2016 - Did some more research today. The interwebs (reference site below, and others that seems to agree) say that the overall height is 61.5" and the track width (average, per SCCA rules) is somewhere between 60" and 61.5". So, if I understand things correctly, just a little drop in height and/or slightly offset wheels should get me in the door. Granted, the rules say to measure, but if this is even close to what I can expect, then this makes me very happy! http://www.thecarconnection.com/…/mini_countryman_2012_awd-…

Skimming the rules on STX (what the SCCA rep said would probably be most applicable), it looks like even stock cars can run, as long as the fit the ratio.

Edited by HasAnMTBProblem

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18

next time we get together, I'll take some measurements and get with the Safety Steward for D.C. Region. Gotta see how much lower we need to get it.

Check updates above. ...but yeah, I want to know that, too!

Edited by HasAnMTBProblem

image.php?u=1714&type=sigpic&dateline=14

"Big Pig" - KW V3 Coilovers - Hotchkis rear control arms - Milltek cat back exhaust with black MBRP tips - Flat black vinyl wrapped head/tail light rights - ECS Black Line Tail Lights - Outmotoring Smoked Side Markers - Outmotoring Smoked Scuttle Turn Signals - Joey Mod Head lights - Outmotoring LED Driving Lights - Enkei T6S 18x8 et42 Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact Sport 235/40R18