Lt. Dan

Okay, I messed up

Hey gang, I tried searching and couldn't find anybody that ran into the issue I'm having

Tonight, I tackled a split intercooler coupler, and a failed harmonic dampener.

Before the work, I had a check engine light, combined with a high idle.

After replacing the intercooler couplers, I started the vehicle, and it idled fine.

Replaced the harmonic dampener and installed a new belt. Now, the car will not hold an idle, and a quick drive around the block keeping the revs up shows that it's running VERY rich, with smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Computer is not showing any codes. I have pulled the intercooler back off to check for any noticeable lines loose or any other evidence I damaged something. no such luck.

What's my next step? Anybody run across something like this before?

Hey gang, I tried searching and couldn't find anybody that ran into the issue I'm having

Tonight, I tackled a split intercooler coupler, and a failed harmonic dampener.

Before the work, I had a check engine light, combined with a high idle.

After replacing the intercooler couplers, I started the vehicle, and it idled fine.

Replaced the harmonic dampener and installed a new belt. Now, the car will not hold an idle, and a quick drive around the block keeping the revs up shows that it's running VERY rich, with smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Computer is not showing any codes. I have pulled the intercooler back off to check for any noticeable lines loose or any other evidence I damaged something. no such luck.

What's my next step? Anybody run across something like this before?

airleak maybe or a vacuum leak

HOONIGAN

Manic stage 2+, H&R springs, H-Sport 19mm sway bar, K&N intake, Forge Bov, Miltek downpipe, Mini Challenge Exhaust, Alta hotside pipe, Noname Intercooler, Cravenspeed short shifter, Sneed4speed Billyclub, Sneed4speed Aero Package, Sneed4speed

ETR, Sneed4speed track rotors, Carbontech AX6 brake pads

I agree with nick, but you said you checked. So have you checked for stored codes even though you don't have a CEL at the moment. TPS could be the problem, if you disconnect it it should idle, simple check.

I dicked up brandy's MAF sensor a while back installing a CAI. it would not hold an idle and if no signal is received it defaults to full rich, but not a rich as you are describing.

unfortunately you likely have the most mechanical knowledge here.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

r53whatzit_zpsyxnqqf2a.jpg

UPDATE!!

So, playing the whole "unplug and start" game, led me to the evap purge valve. When the vacuum lines are disconnected, the car will start, but run like it has a vacuum leak (because it does). I can then hook the vacuum lines up, and the car will run fine. Unfortunately, as soon as I shut the car off, I need to start the process all over again. Since I swapped the crank pulley and belt for new ones, I'm guessing I smacked the valve with the belt tool during the whole process....

Glad to hear you isolated the problem. Hope that fixes it, do you have to order the part or is it one of those same part used on many cars and you can get it at the local parts store.

At least you know how to start it, and its not your daily driver. It reminds me of when I was a poor 20 year old and could not afford a new starter solenoid until payday, I pop the hood and start my truck with a screw driver for like a week.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Glad to hear you isolated the problem. Hope that fixes it, do you have to order the part or is it one of those same part used on many cars and you can get it at the local parts store.

At least you know how to start it, and its not your daily driver. It reminds me of when I was a poor 20 year old and could not afford a new starter solenoid until payday, I pop the hood and start my truck with a screw driver for like a week.

Thanks to some awesome research by another member, we found that the part number cross-referenced with a Saturn Vue!!!! $30!!!

Thanks to some awesome research by another member, we found that the part number cross-referenced with a Saturn Vue!!!! $30!!!

You are welcome!

INDI Blue R53: 15% Pulley, Whiteline 20mm Rear Swaybar, Koni FSDs, Rogue Engineering Exhaust added Magnaflow Resonator, Custom Cold Air, Poly LCABs, Slotted Rotors, Gold Drag Dr-16's, Plaid Dash, Xlites with RE-11A's for Hitting Cones.