Lt. Dan

R53 tune

I didn't want to derail the Passport M&G thread any more than I already did... lol

So I'm looking to get my R53 tuned. Currently, the car is running a 17% pulley, bigger injectors, and an invidia exhaust. After searching around, I'm finding that most places have shifted their attention to the R56 and newer. Reading online, people are saying that having the PCM flashed with the JCW maps is good for a nice bump in power.

What have my fellow R53 owners done on the tuning side of things to help?

I didn't want to derail the Passport M&G thread any more than I already did... lol

So I'm looking to get my R53 tuned. Currently, the car is running a 17% pulley, bigger injectors, and an invidia exhaust. After searching around, I'm finding that most places have shifted their attention to the R56 and newer. Reading online, people are saying that having the PCM flashed with the JCW maps is good for a nice bump in power.

What have my fellow R53 owners done on the tuning side of things to help?

Ahh, see... in the M&G thread, you didn't mention the mods you've done, which are similar to JCW (except for the JCW cylinder head). The JCW tune would probably help, but nowhere near as much as a custom tune. Definitely find out if the dealer will do the JCW flash and how much they'd charge to do it... but compare that to custom tune prices.

A number of years ago, we had a group arrangement to have Jan from Revolution Motor Works (RMW) come visit us and do custom tuning using the dyno at Mach V Motorsports in Sterling. Jan is well recognized in the MINI community for his tuning talents (both R53s & 2nd Gen S/JCW engines), but since he is based in California, we'd need a good number of people wanting custom dyno tunes to make it worth the trip for him.

I have a 2005 R53 JCW with the GP intercooler and the custom dyno tune from Jan. I'm very happy with the setup - the tune alone is probably the best bang for the buck you can get, especially after you already have the basic drivetrain upgrades (which you do).

I think there are a few local places that can do tunes, with likely varying results, as well as some "out of the box" tunes (not custom with dyno). I don't have all the answers there because I stopped looking after Jan's visit but some searching on Motoring Alliance and North American Motoring should yield some good information.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

My R53 has a Mynes tune. They created the software to allow you to tune your car yourself. Some people have gotten in trouble because they were over their head, and you can destroy your engine. This has generally happened when there is something wrong with the car and they continue to flog it. They will now do remote tunes. I do not know all the details but here is what I know. You have to install their software on your car, and I think you have to have a wide band oxygen sensor. Then you drive around and log what the engine is doing. The software monitors all the engine parameters and the oxygen sensor gives them the air fuel ratio. You then need to create a file and send it to them. They look at the file and send you a tune to upload into the ECU. I believe Jan does the same thing. I also know Jan usually goes to Helex once a year. If you go to the dragon there will be people there to tune your car, but Jan and Mynes are generally considered the best. I will warn you about personalities. It seems that Jan and some of his customers must consider there entire worth on his work being the absolute best. They will run down everyone else. Jan has happy customers, and Mynes has happy customers. They both have customers who are unhappy. Jan's and his customers perpetuate a ridiculous "I am the best, just ask"