1975_mini

Ebony's Dead in the water

Brandy said Ebony was shifting roughly, so I drove her to work today to find out what she was feeling. All seemed to be fine, but then without warning while driving back up the hill to the house after cross a speed bump, I step on the gas climb to 3k RPMs and BANG!!!, instant lose of drive to the wheels, and the tinging sound of metal bouncing around.

I rolled backwards into a parking spot, Park does not work, set the parking break and walked home. Did not climb under due to being in chuck's since its Friday.

Once it's stops raining I am going to do some trouble shooting, to see if its catastrophic or just first gear that's gone and I can nurse it the mile to the house.

The damn automatic transmission strikes again.:banghead:

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Thanks for clarifying Catalina, looking at what I wrote most probably thought I didn't want to get my chuck taylors dirty

P.S. "Chucks = 'Charlie's' uniform worn by Marines every Friday.

1975Mini001.jpg

I caught the Chuck Taylor's reference! I always called them Chucks!

ANNNNNNNNNNND that's awful. I'm really sad to hear shes's been having odd problems like that. the R55/56 transmission isn't meant to do stuff like that. It's actually supposed to be more reliable than the CVT. Good luck guys :(

Well Ebony is safety in the garage, but daughter birthday didn't leave it to do a detailed inspection.

What I have been able to do in a quick diagnous:

-engine idles fine in park or neutral.

-car free rolls in park.

-if put in drive grumbling (technical term) sound from transmission

Possible likely casues:

-broken input shaft (pinion and drive transfer gear on this tran)

-ring gear

-broken axel

The shift linkage with the engine off moves freely through the gears, and if it was transmission was the issue park would likely still work.

Hopefully I will be able to get her jacked up and do some crawling around underneath this evening or tomorrow and have a clearer picture.

Update to follow soon.

1975Mini001.jpg

Yep, I'd be leaning towards a sheared output shaft for the tranny or a sheared pinion with those symptoms. I'll cross my fingers for a pinion gear as it's the less expensive alternative. Tell Brandy to stop doing those "J" turns, it's hard on the car!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Well, it was the pinion that went, and chewed up the splines on one of the axle in the process. Mini considers this all an enclosed system :banghead:, so ebony is getting a whole new transmission and axle. She should be back on the road Tuesday or Wednesday:rock:

1975Mini001.jpg

Wait. It JUST went out??? You were having issues in May. What the crap.

That lead to this full failure. Fun fun, came to pick her up today and the new transmission had a bad pump bearing. So now another week to have another one shipping in. Hopefully third times the charm. Ebony is being a real B@&$/!!!

1975Mini001.jpg