tvrgeek

Convex mirrors

I am looking for a convex left side mirror to reduce blind spots. Has anyone looked into bringing over mirrors from GB? Yes, I am sure they are ilegal, but I put safety over stupid DoT rules anyday. Little stick-ons don't cut it.

One alternative is the OEM aspherical side mirrors, which are available in Europe. I have them on my MINI, ordered from the UK. I like them because the majority of the mirror is a regular "flat" mirror, but the outside 1/4 or so is a wide-angle view.

I'll be happy to show them to you at the next DCMM event. Will you be coming to the MINI of Sterling Meet & Greet on the 20th?

Mind you, mine are for the 1st Gens... not sure about your 2nd Gen. Hang on, I'll look to see what's available for 2nd Gens... <looking up now>

EDIT: OK, the options for 2nd Gens aren't exactly the same, but you're in luck, there is hope. Seems like you want part number 51162755625 (for the driver's side) and maybe 51162755626 (for the passenger side, if you want them to match). You can probably email Mike at NewMINIStuff.com (email is mike@newministuff.co.uk) and ask him for a quote. If you want to proceed, he'll even add them to the site for you if you like, to make it easier to order.

Edited by Edge
Added RealOEM & NewMINIStuff info

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I have these on both mirrors and I love them:http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=57292
Those are cheaper... but one thing to consider is if you have the heated mirrors. I wouldn't want to lose that functionality!

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Those are cheaper... but one thing to consider is if you have the heated mirrors. I wouldn't want to lose that functionality!

According to the directions, the heated mirror can still work.... most likely not as well, but in theory it sounds like it would still have some effect.

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

According to the directions, the heated mirror can still work.... most likely not as well, but in theory it sounds like it would still have some effect.
Ah OK, I see that now. I didn't realize these have to be applied directly over your original mirrors. Having to create a seal with silicone, etc makes sense, but does complicate the install. The OEM ones are direct replacements, with the heating element already in place.

I'm not knocking the aftermarket ones though, they look very well designed! :smile:

Haemish, how much where yours, if you don't mind me asking?
£22.94 each (£45.88), plus shipping, is the current price. Not sure whether that is a different price than I paid last fall when I ordered them, or what the total was... but I can check for you tonight when I get home.

Here's where Mike @ NewMINIStuff.com added them to the site for me (and anyone else that wants them):

NewMINIStuff.com - Aspherical Mirror Glass Heated

Excellent. Much thanks.

Yea, I might take a trip over to Sterling. Long haul as I am in Bowie, but I meet for breakfast in Gaithersburg every Saturday with what used to be the TVR club, now it is just a bunch of old-timers who used to have TVR's.

for 1st gen vehicles, the eurospec heated drivers side glass is:

available at pelican parts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search.cgi?please_wait=N&forumid=&threadid=&command=DWsearch&description=51167058059&I1.x=13&I1.y=14

for way less than i paid at a dealer

Yeah, that's for the left side convex one (listed on this RealOEM page). Personally I prefer the aspherical ones (here), but hey, whatever floats your boat! :smile:

BTW you can probably get it cheaper at Morristown MINI. They have a standard 20% discount under MSRP, and Pelican Parts pretty much sells exactly at MSRP.

If the dealer you bought from was higher, they probably were pricing over MSRP. Happens at a lot of them (one in particular comes to mind... :stupid:)

Yeah, that's for the left side convex one (listed on this RealOEM page). Personally I prefer the aspherical ones (here), but hey, whatever floats your boat! :smile:

BTW you can probably get it cheaper at Morristown MINI. They have a standard 20% discount under MSRP, and Pelican Parts pretty much sells exactly at MSRP.

If the dealer you bought from was higher, they probably were pricing over MSRP. Happens at a lot of them (one in particular comes to mind... :stupid:)

oddly enough, that's where i got them a year ago.

That is what I was looking for. Funny, they did not show up the other day when I looked. I have never had heated mirrors, so if the performance is slightly low, I would not know the difference!

thanks

That is what I was looking for. Funny, they did not show up the other day when I looked. I have never had heated mirrors, so if the performance is slightly low, I would not know the difference!

thanks

On order. Out out of stock. Gives me time to find some thermally conductive filler material. I was thinking about mixing silicone with copper dust or something.