Scouser

Matte Black Grill Trim

Hi - does anyone know a company that I can order a MATTE black grill trim? I know Outmotoring & Mini Mania have the trim, plus one or two other companies, but they're both glossy - I don't like the glossy so much - I've seen a couple of thumbnail pics of the matte, and it looks great, matches the plastic wheel covers - but there's no information on where to find it. I don't want to go the Plasti-Dip route or tape - I'd like to be able to find the actual piece and just change it over.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Nora/Blue Bonnet

p.s. also Matte black for the tail light trims too if possible.

Thanks for the input. Didn't want to do PD because it's time consuming and I have a motion that it won't hold up in the elements as well...could be wrong. I wanted to be able to have the chrome pieces available if for any reason I decided to switch back and don't fancy the idea of peeling off the PD. but the car looks great - may have to go that route! Thanks!

Thanks for the input. Didn't want to do PD because it's time consuming and I have a motion that it won't hold up in the elements as well...could be wrong. I wanted to be able to have the chrome pieces available if for any reason I decided to switch back and don't fancy the idea of peeling off the PD. but the car looks great - may have to go that route! Thanks!

It is an hour project if you take your time, as the gen2 grille removes very easy, so you don't have to tape off. It is pretty durable stuff, areas I did almost 2 years ago still look great. Only issue I had was blaze colors (i.e. orange, blue, pink) bleach out in the sun. As for pealing the thicker the coat the easier to peal, or watch the pick-a-part lots around and you can get a spare grille for 20 bucks.

Not try to push, I am a member of the PD fan club. and you could do your grille and all bezzles with a $8 can, can't beat the price. There are plenty of us that have used it, and would be more that willing to help out if you choose that route.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Ahhh - thanks so much for that. I REALLY appreciate the offer to help. I may want to do that :-) I'm scared to start taking things off the car etc. I did call the Detroit place - they only carry the glossy - he said that's how they all come from the factory. He wasn't a fan of PD - said it has to be redone every 6 months or so...(don't fancy doing it every 6 months) and he said it's more prone to chips etc. He suggested having the existing chrome pieces vinyl wrapped with a good 3M matte vinyl. Of course I see big $$'s to do that. I know I've read good things from those folks on the blog here about the PD - seems like a good way to go gpomg by all your experiences with it, and as you mention, it can easily be peeled off. To "engage help" where would I need to go? I'd be willing to pay also - don't expect free time from anyone :-)

Nora

Nora,

Just toss out a day and where abouts you are. Another possibility there is the dent removal party at the garagemahal (craig's garage) next weekend, you would get to meet some of the members, I would be willing to help. Not volunteering Craig's time or garage/ spot on his driveway to lay down the grille, but he is a PD wizard and always willing to help. Just drop him a line (CMCVeay).

Feel free to send me a PM I am available most weekends, I would only be working on Watson or Brandy would be giving me jobs.

Payment is hanging out with other Miniacs!!!

Corey

1975Mini001.jpg

Corey - thanks so very much for the info. I emailed Craig to see if he would mind us using a little area of his driveway. Waiting to hear back. How many cans would I need? At least if I learn how to do the grill trim, then I might have the confidence to do the bezzels and rear lights too :-) at some point. If Craig is ok with this, what day/time would work for you?

Nora

Corey - thanks so very much for the info. I emailed Craig to see if he would mind us using a little area of his driveway. Waiting to hear back. How many cans would I need? At least if I learn how to do the grill trim, then I might have the confidence to do the bezzels and rear lights too :-) at some point. If Craig is ok with this, what day/time would work for you?

Nora

1 can will be plenty (home depot or lowes will have it), I am free all weekend.

1975Mini001.jpg

Thanks Corey - waiting to hear from Craig - will keep you posted. Maybe sometime Saturday? Like late morning, early p.m.? I need to get Craig's address.

I responded to the PM once I was able to get to my email. We'll be around all day on Saturday so whatever time you and Corey want to drop in, there will be someone around.

The great thing about PD (not sure if this has already been said) is that if you don't like it, you can peel it off and no damage has been done.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Oh - thanks so much to both of you to be SO helpful. Much appreciated. Just let me know Corey what time would work for you. And Craig, could I please have your address so I can Google how to get here. Thanks! Nora

Sent via email and we look forward to seeing how it comes out!

11:00 sounds good - Craig gave me his address - I bought the PlastiDip tonight - if there's anything else I will need just let me know!

Thanks again! Nora

ps - Sat is supposed to be really nice weather too :-)

Nothing else needed, looking forward to it. See you Saturday

1975Mini001.jpg

Ha ha - thanks for asking Corey - I didn't do the front yet, no - ran out of time. Was going to do them today (Friday) my day off - but now I see it's RAINING!! Maybe I can do them this weekend - however I think it's supposed to rain each day...bummer! But I'll try & fit them in somewhere. I'm so grateful for your help and advice. That was really great of you to show up & help me!!

Nora

Ha ha - thanks for asking Corey - I didn't do the front yet, no - ran out of time. Was going to do them today (Friday) my day off - but now I see it's RAINING!! Maybe I can do them this weekend - however I think it's supposed to rain each day...bummer! But I'll try & fit them in somewhere. I'm so grateful for your help and advice. That was really great of you to show up & help me!!

Nora

Nora - if you don't mind suggestion. Stop by the dealership and get a pair of new headlight rings and PD them instead. I say that because they are clean, without any grime, oil or dirt. You can remove the clips from the back side of them (which will help you understand how the existing rings come out) and then PD the front and back sides. They aren't much - about $20 each.

AND, if you do this, you can have PD fun even if it's raining outside.

Be careful with the headlight washer covers, they can be a little tricky to remove and re-install.

Hi - just thought I'd give a little update - I took Craig's advice & got a couple of new headlight rims, and since it was such a gorgeous day today, I decided to PD them. Put about 5 coats on - took me the better part of the afternoon, but it was worth it. Going to let them fully dry for a day or two then, will TRY and install them. Those little clips are a bit tricky I see that. Don't want to break them.

I have another question which I'll start a new thread on - about the rear air diffuser.

Thanks again guys for your input :top: