cbryant82

Shock question

So after doing a search, I can;t seem to find exactly what i am looking for in regards to shock choices. It's time for me to start researching replacement shocks so that I'm ready for spring time, and I was wondering what people in our area thought about the Koni Yellow's ride quality on the DC/MD/VA roads? I don't mind a stiff ride, but don't want it to be bone jarring at the end of the day.

The floor is open!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2003 MINI Cooper S Indi Blue, 16% WMW Pulley, One Ball Mod, DDM Works Intake, Helix Short Throw Adapter, Rear Seat Delete.

Katelyn,

I think Mark Drew has the Koni Yellows so he would be a good source but he also has aftermarket springs so that would change things a bit.

I had a set of Bilstein HD's on my previous MINI an they really changed the "attitude" of the car. It was a comfortable ride but it still handled very nicely.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

From everything I've been reading the hd's won't really give me the drop I'm going for. I'm pretty sold on the yellows as long as it won't rattle my teeth out of my head. Plus I'll be going with either the swift or TSW springs. I'll definitely check with mark and see what he thinks. And Katelyn is the girlfriend Lol. I'm Cory :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2003 MINI Cooper S Indi Blue, 16% WMW Pulley, One Ball Mod, DDM Works Intake, Helix Short Throw Adapter, Rear Seat Delete.

I have H&R coilovers and my rears dropped below what's advertised. How much drop are you looking for?

I thought you had KW v1

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

Hadn't considered coilovers based on cost. I'm not an autox guy (yet) and just want something to get rid of the 4x4 gap and tighten her up for some back road jaunts.

What did you pay for the h&R's? I'm looking to be under 1500 bucks for my entire suspension setup (springs,dampers,sway,control arms,front camber) so I don't have a ton of room for holy expensive coilovers unfortunately

What did you pay for the h&R's? I'm looking to be under 1500 bucks for my entire suspension setup (springs,dampers,sway,control arms,front camber) so I don't have a ton of room for holy expensive coilovers unfortunately

$900 for the set of four. But your challenge and additional cost is going to be on installation. Contrary to their advertising my installer didn't know what they were doing (another story for another place time). However the sway bar might be your first upgrade, that was primary for my Clubman as recommended by other Clubbie owners. I had budgeted for both and didn't have all of the work done until a year after I'd bought my MINI.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

$900 for all four isn't half bad... Have a model number handy? I work with a buddy of mine in Silver Spring to install everything, so it's always an adventure putting new toys on the old girl lol. The sway bar will definitely be first, just because I've heard such awesome things about what it does for our handling, and I want to make sure I've had plenty of time to break in the bushings before MoTD comes around. Thanks for all the advice!

$900 for all four isn't half bad... Have a model number handy? I work with a buddy of mine in Silver Spring to install everything, so it's always an adventure putting new toys on the old girl lol. The sway bar will definitely be first, just because I've heard such awesome things about what it does for our handling, and I want to make sure I've had plenty of time to break in the bushings before MoTD comes around. Thanks for all the advice!

Link to coilovers for what I bought for my *Clubbie* is already in a post below.

Ok. Let's try this again. The link works outside of TT:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&group=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&partNum=50457&autoMake=Mini&autoModel=Clubman&autoYear=2011&autoModClar=Cooper+S

I would upload a pic but I'm getting an error on that function via TT.

There is so much information out there pertaining to suspension! IT'S INSANE! I'm not some techno genius, so comparing all this discussion is a bit overwhelming. Just want a nice DD setup that gives me a little more agressive handling profile. Is that too much to ask lol? :banghead:

Take a look at the KW's as well.

I autocross about once a year but instead of springs and struts, I went with CO's this time. I got a set of KW V1's so I can set the ride height where I want (not a fast process but also, not too awfully difficult either) and it made a massive change in the ride. The last time I swapped out a suspension, it was about 4 hours work and it's easy to do the sway bar at the same time since you have to drop the rear struts anyway.

I'm running the KW V1's with a H Sport 25.5mm rear swaybar and OEM endlinks. Up front, it's the OEM swaybar and Way Motorworks adjustable endlinks. My wife has actually slept in the car on the highway and during some slower paced driving in the twisties.

With the polyurethane bushings, there's no "break in" time, you get what they offer right way and it's not gonna change. These also have zirc fittings so you can lubricate them.

Ali (TGGRRR) can attest to the handling as she made a "test run" with me last fall and up to 145, it was an awesome ride and the car never felt like it was getting "floaty".

After digging through NAM and just reading what's out there, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Megan Racing EZ Streets, or the BC Racing Coilovers.

You all are right that it doesn't make sense to go struts and springs since I can get a good coilover setup for just a little more cash. The Megan setup is the more budget option, but still has the adjustable ride height and rebound adjustment I'm looking for. The BC would be the higher cost, but has more adjustment, and maybe a slight better fit and finish. I know both are made by the same parent company so the difference is more in adjustability in price. I won't be slamming, just want to go a wee bit lower, and I think these two will do the job for the money.

I'll let you all know when the final order is put in!

There is so much information out there pertaining to suspension! IT'S INSANE! I'm not some techno genius, so comparing all this discussion is a bit overwhelming. Just want a nice DD setup that gives me a little more agressive handling profile. Is that too much to ask lol? :banghead:
Have you looked at the JCW sport suspension? It does exactly what you are asking, and I think it's a really awesome DD setup with a slight lowering of the car and a solid, notable handling improvement. It's probably the most underrated of the JCW options.

Just something to consider - it didn't seem like you had.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I had looked at it actually, but I couldn't find anyone who was running it that could give me an idea of how it responded to lowering springs. ECS sells the upgrade for a good price too, so it's definitely still on the table, as long as it takes a set of Swift or TSW springs nicely...

Checked with Way at WMW and his reccomendation was JCW Struts and TSW springs, so that's what it'll be! I know this has been a confusing post, but I really think coilovers are just too overkill for my purposes.

Thanks for all the help gang!

I had looked at it actually, but I couldn't find anyone who was running it that could give me an idea of how it responded to lowering springs. ECS sells the upgrade for a good price too, so it's definitely still on the table, as long as it takes a set of Swift or TSW springs nicely...
That's probably because the JCW suspension includes its own springs, which are individually tailored to the options on your car. The MINI dealership actually uses your MINI's VIN to look up a spring table and match the springs to your specific car. There isn't just one set of JCW springs, there are actually a range of them. :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Katelyn,

I think Mark Drew has the Koni Yellows so he would be a good source but he also has aftermarket springs so that would change things a bit.

I had a set of Bilstein HD's on my previous MINI an they really changed the "attitude" of the car. It was a comfortable ride but it still handled very nicely.

That's what Mark has with the NM springs. It made the ride a lot harsher but it was OK until he added the BF Goodrich Rival tires. This combination has made the ride kind of weird, too rough and kind of bouncy. It's fine around town but on highway trips he's pretty miserable with it. I drove back from Williamsburg and it was bounce bounce and then dip in road SLAM!! So he's not sure what's going on, but it seemed to start with the new tires.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

What size (profile) tire did Mark go with? When I was running 35's, it was awful but getting back to 40 and 45's, it made it wayyyyy better. The tire can make a good bit of difference but I suspect there's something else involved - maybe the dampening needs to be adjusted.