SneakyBaron

Skyline Drive Run

Meeting place Samuels Public Library at 9:30

Drivers meeting at 10:00

Library Address:

330 East Criser Road

Front Royal, Virginia 22630

Parking is behind the building and I've gotten permission for us to park in the back line of spaces furthest from the building.

$15 for entrance to Shenandoah National Park.

• Big Meadows Wayside (mile 51.2) The Wayside houses a full-service dining room with carryout service and offers a varied menu of regional favorites and contemporary food.

Route: Here

Things to bring:

• Walkie Talkie(Channel 7, Subchannel 21)
  • Lunch(if not buying from Wayside)
  • Chairs/Blanket for lunch if all picnic tables are taken/full

At wayside there is gas available Premium 93. The pumps didn't have card swipes but I think they take them in the shop.

For lunch Wayside has most of the easy basic hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders to order(ordering a a little slow) they also have premade turkey, ham and other sandwiches. There are picnic tables and plenty of grass so might want to bring some blankets to sit on if the tables are taken.

So far the weather looks like it should be excellent and hopefully it holds.

And because we are meeting at a library that doesn't open till we are about to leave you'll want to gas up and use the restroom before meeting up, there are a couple different gas stations no matter what direction you come from to get to the library.

IMG_0147.jpg

If you're looking at it on a mobile device it will not show correctly. I should hopefully be able to get the route sheet done soon, I'm sent an email this morning checking if we would be ok to use the parking lot I've found that has an easy way to get to the park entrance. The K-Mart lot would have worked great but the light that we would have turned left at lasted maybe a whole 2 seconds before letting the oncoming traffic though.

Basic route is starting in Front Royal(not very far from the start of Skyline), do lunch at one of the two Big Meadow(probably wayside) locations since that is about two hours in around noon, from there its just keep driving south till we hit the other end of the part, turn around and head back up. There are only a few places to stop if bathroom breaks so I figure as we get close to one I'll ask if we need to stop and then stop if needed. Then the end will either be the last overlook or the visitors center just before that.

IMG_0147.jpg

Here is what I have so far. If I have time next weekend I'll go and do at least till big meadows and find out exactly where lunch will be. If anyone is interested in doing that with me it'll probably be Sunday(the 8th) morning.

Skyline_Drive_Run.pdf

Skyline_Drive_Run.pdf

Edited by SneakyBaron

IMG_0147.jpg

Added the route to the top. At wayside there is gas available Premium 93. The pumps didn't have card swipes but I think they take them in the shop.

For lunch Wayside has most of the easy basic hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders to order(ordering a a little slow) they also have premade turkey, ham and other sandwiches. There are picnic tables and plenty of grass so might want to bring some blankets to sit on if the tables are taken.

So far the weather looks like it should be excellent and hopefully it holds.

And because we are meeting at a library that doesn't open till we are about to leave you'll want to gas up and use the restroom before meeting up, there are a couple different gas stations no matter what direction you come from to get to the library.

And just hope there isn't a large accident(I'm assuming thats what it was, turned around and took the long way out) that stops traffic in both directions for hours xD

IMG_0147.jpg

The weather for Saturday is looking beautiful, but it will be cool. The temperature keeps going down, and the Saturday forecast for Skyline Drive right now looks for high temps to be in the mid 60's. A light jacket or fleece would not be a bad idea.

The Sterling NWS office has a specific forecast for the mountains and Skyline Drive, because of the higher elevation. You can find it here.

Edited by mikev

The weather for Saturday is looking beautiful, but it will be cool. The temperature keeps going down, and the Saturday forecast for Skyline Drive right now looks for high temps to be in the mid 60's. A light jacket or fleece would not be a bad idea.

The Sterling NWS office has a specific forecast for the mountains and Skyline Drive, because of the higher elevation. You can find it here.

How high is the elevation? I had a horrible time with it at Yellowstone.

I'm now a member of the Yellowstone association so can get a discount at the gift shops in the national park here. 15% off!!!

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

New Forum Member here. Is it okay if I join up for this Saturday's run? I have spent a bunch of time running up and down Skyline for wildlife photos. Was just up there this Saturday and it was cool and nice out! Even renewed my Annual Park Pass, so yeah I am ready to go back.

MINI MAUL 2012 Countryman S ALL 4 Pure Red

2" Countryman Connection/Cooper Crap Lift | Breyton GTS-R 18"x8.5" | Pirelli Scorpion Verde 235/50-18 A/S Non RFTs | NM Torque Arm insert | LED Parking Light upgrade | H8 Yellow Fog Lamp upgrade | Rhino Rack XTray Cargo Rack

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

New Forum Member here. Is it okay if I join up for this Saturday's run? I have spent a bunch of time running up and down Skyline for wildlife photos. Was just up there this Saturday and it was cool and nice out! Even renewed my Annual Park Pass, so yeah I am ready to go back.

Yep all are welcome.

IMG_0147.jpg

I won't know for sure till tomorrow, but there's a slight chance I'll need to ride along with someone. My husband Mark's MINI Max is in for repairs and he has a loaner. He signed up for autocross on Sat so I told him he could take Tigger.

I am not taking the Impala on the run, so if this happens would someone be able to let me ride along?

He should know tomorrow if he'll get Max back in time.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg