TGGRRR (Ali)

Comfort Access question

So does this make sense? If I am driving Max (2009 JCW), stop, turn him off, remove the key, then push in the clutch and hit the start button, he will start up and drive without the key in.

But that's the only time he does it. If I get in the car with the key he won't start keyless. The doors won't unlock keyless. I have to start with the key, turn off, remove key and quickly restart again.

So, I'm guessing he doesn't have comfort access, but then why would he ever start keyless at all???

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Well, I have comfort access and I have never inserted the keys to start my vehicle. I guess probably I should, just make sure that they work but I have yet to really feel the need.

My guess is that you don't have comfort access. If you did, you should never have to insert the key. Since you do have to insert the key, I think that it's just not off long enough for it to matter, but I really don't know.

Same here, I have Keyless Entry and it's been some time since I put the key in the slot. I'm also set up so the doors auto lock at 11mph and when I hit the button to turn the car off, they unlock. If the key is in the slot, when I push the button, the doors stay locked until I bump the key to remove it from the slot.

Other neat tricks? If the car is locked and I walk up to the barn doors, I don't have to unlock it to open the rear doors.

If it weren't for the door handle covers, there's a little black button that will lock/unlock the car if you can't get to the keys in your pocket.

If I walk away from the car for a while with the keys and nothing disturbs it, it will automatically lock.

Oh, start the car and walk away with the keys. It tells you that the remote key isn't there any longer.

And, finally, you can't lock the keys in the car electronically.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

@TheMichael, one of the perks of putting your key in every once in a while, especially before dropping it off for service is it tracks some computer data for the SA to look at.
Another benefit... as I understand it, that is how your keyfob gets recharged. If you never ever put it in the dash, eventually the battery inside will be empty and the buttons won't work any more.

I may be wrong, but that's how I believe it is.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I absolutely love this feature on Lola.

@TheMichael, one of the perks of putting your key in every once in a while, especially before dropping it off for service is it tracks some computer data for the SA to look at.

Really? what would it track that wouldn't track otherwise? I'm somewhat interested in the details of this...

Another benefit... as I understand it, that is how your keyfob gets recharged. If you never ever put it in the dash, eventually the battery inside will be empty and the buttons won't work any more.

I may be wrong, but that's how I believe it is.

another interesting feature, although I never use the buttons, so I guess I would never know if they need recharging.

I absolutely love the fact that I never have to take my keys out of my pocket. I'm considering putting a keypad on my front door so that I don't need a key for that, either!

My SA told me it would tell them the mileage on the car, the fluid levels, when the last oil change was done, that kind of thing.

I am taking my car in on Wednesday for its first "check-up" - when i called to schedule the appointment, the SA told me that they would use my key to tell them what needed to be done. I will see if they can give me a run down of all the info it collects. I will report back! I will confirm if we need tinfoil hats for our cars or not :biggrin:

I do know that when you use the key in the slot, it records all of the dashboard settings you set while using that key. If you have a second key and a second driver, and you are both extremely particular about how things are set up, you can have different settings!

And yes, the battery is re-charged when you use it in the slot, so again if you have a second key, you need to use it every six months or so to keep that battery charged too.

Ah Ha! after a bit 'o research, it appears that there are two types of keys: those for use with Comfort Access and those without. Comfort Access keys are *not* rechargeable, whilst Non-CA keys are. My key does, in fact, have a removable battery and no "terminals" with which to charge. (unless the regular fobs use induction charging, which I doubt)

I'm pretty sure that there is probably something similar for all the other info, but I don't know... yet.

It's really simple. If your door handles have a black button, you have comfort access. If they don't, you don't...

I've got CA, and most times I don't put the key in the slot. But sometimes I do, just so the maintenance info gets updated on the key. Sort of like wearing clean underwear, Like my mom said, if you ever get in an accident you want to have clean undies...lo

(but I bet if I was in a really bad accident that required a trip to the hospital, I'd have messed my britches anyway...lol)

No matter where you go, there you are!

Ali,

I overheard another DCMM member talking about that exact phenomenon. I think that it was the person who Craig helped install custom gauges before the MoCo MINI Picnic.

I have no explanation for you...but simply confirming from another source, what you described.

Sherm

Ali,

I overheard another DCMM member talking about that exact phenomenon. I think that it was the person who Craig helped install custom gauges before the MoCo MINI Picnic.

I have no explanation for you...but simply confirming from another source, what you described.

Sherm

It is odd. I guess no comfort access, but we can drive it keyless :biggrin:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg