Wizzer

Riding Rough

I love oddball subject lines.

So a new issue started up last night in the POD. At lower speeds (0-25) everything feels fine, but at higher speeds (25-60) the ride feels very rough. When I press the gas I can hear the engine rev up and everything smooths out, but when the engine drops back to idle it becomes very rough again. This occurs both in gear and out of gear.

My first thought is that maybe the wheels aren't re-seated correctly after I Plasti-Diped the rims, but the worse fear is that it may be engine related.

Anyone heard of this sort of thing?

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

If your tire balance is off you'll feel vibrations at higher speeds. But I can't imagine PD would upset the tire balance.

I don't think it's the PD so much as me messing up the alignment when I re-mounted the wheels.

Could your engine mounts be bad the rubber does go bad

That could be, I think the last mechanic that looked at it said those may need replacing soon.

Looks like I may just have to take it in to the dealership.

<sigh>

Steve "Wizzer" P.

So I just had a friend drive the POD around the block and he thinks it's Wheel Balance.

This would make sense since I didn't keep track on which wheel came from which spot and there is a VERY good chance that tires from the back ended up on the front.

Looks like I will be hitting up the NTB on the way home and see about a balance.

Steve "Wizzer" P.

So I just had a friend drive the POD around the block and he thinks it's Wheel Balance.

This would make sense since I didn't keep track on which wheel came from which spot and there is a VERY good chance that tires from the back ended up on the front.

Looks like I will be hitting up the NTB on the way home and see about a balance.

While I'm all excited that I might have finally known something technical. I am pretty sure that wheels are balanced independently and rotating them shouldn't matter. But maybe the rotation made an issue that was there before much worse. Let us know if the balance resolves the issue

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Update!!!

Was totally the balance. I came home and found that two of the tires had weights added and two didn't, I remembered that a front tire had the weights on it so I deduced that both weighted tires needed to be in the front. Sure enough, once IA fixed that (one was on the back and both weighted tires were on the same side) everything was good!

Thanks for all the input, it certainly gave me a narrower scope to troubleshoot.

Steve "Wizzer" P.

While I'm all excited that I might have finally known something technical. I am pretty sure that wheels are balanced independently and rotating them shouldn't matter. But maybe the rotation made an issue that was there before much worse. Let us know if the balance resolves the issue

Ali, you're right! The wheels are balanced off of the car, which corner they get mounted on doesn't matter... which leads to...

Update!!!

Was totally the balance. I came home and found that two of the tires had weights added and two didn't, I remembered that a front tire had the weights on it so I deduced that both weighted tires needed to be in the front. Sure enough, once IA fixed that (one was on the back and both weighted tires were on the same side) everything was good!

Thanks for all the input, it certainly gave me a narrower scope to troubleshoot.

This doesn't sound right, it shouldn't matter which corner since the wheels should be balanced equally and independently of the vehicle. You may want to have the balance checked.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com