LostDenverite

CD Player Text Display

So I've been playing CDs and have been annoyed that the display merely shows Track 1, Track 2, etc (and no time played or left). Then last night I threw in a burned CD that was a compilation of two other CDs and I get the song title displayed! The burned CD is over 10 years old so I don't recall what I might have done special to it, but I copied it from originals which don't display. In searching for an answer I found this thread http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-mini-cooper/173792-mini-cooper-2002-cd-player-text.html

So does this mean I need to burn all of my CDs into MP3's to get track info (which then raises my dissatisfaction of not having the USB port next to my aux port :mad:)?

P.S. - I also found a nice little MP3 guide for the stock radio. http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/161275-mini-cooper-mp3-quick-guide-w-standard-radio-and-cd-player.html

CDdisplay.jpg.a9cf60a315e79369b8d1bb4c1d40a6a2.jpg

CDdisplay.jpg.a9cf60a315e79369b8d1bb4c1d40a6a2.jpg

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

My guess is when you copied the original CDs to your hard drive the software looked up the GraceNote (http://www.gracenote.com/about) data and applied this info to the burned CD as CD TEXT data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text). Most commercial CDs made in the last few years will have the CD Text data already on the disc and it will display on the MINI's display.

Commercially made CDs that display only the track number on the display will either have to be a) purchased again and hope the label added the CD Text data or b) copy the old disc to a computer and burn a new disc. Burn the disc as a standard audio CD or use .wav files for the best sound quality. :top:

2012 Cooper S Roadster - H/K sound and bum warmers :)

My guess is when you copied the original CDs to your hard drive the software looked up the GraceNote (http://www.gracenote.com/about) data and applied this info to the burned CD as CD TEXT data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text). Most commercial CDs made in the last few years will have the CD Text data already on the disc and it will display on the MINI's display.

Commercially made CDs that display only the track number on the display will either have to be a) purchased again and hope the label added the CD Text data or b) copy the old disc to a computer and burn a new disc. Burn the disc as a standard audio CD or use .wav files for the best sound quality. :top:

Appreciate the info. My CDs are old. That particular album was done in '57

I'd have to look at the CD to see the reissue date but I'm sure it's also too old. Well, I'm looking at converting all of my CDs to MP3s and putting them on a player. Have a Shuffle I bought last year that's still sitting on a shelf unopened. Was thinking about using that for the car (everything else in my buggy is MINImized :laugh:).

Again, thanks for the info.

Edited by LostDenverite

i know that you only have the AUX port what you could do is get a ipod mount to have next to the steering wheel and run the cable down the dash to the port. so the ipod is in view and you can just push the next button without taking you eyes off the road.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

i know that you only have the AUX port what you could do is get a ipod mount to have next to the steering wheel and run the cable down the dash to the port. so the ipod is in view and you can just push the next button without taking you eyes off the road.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking about. Still window shopping the solution.

There is a USB Retrofit available; http://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/590/MINI-BLUETOOTH-RETROFIT-KIT-WITH-USB-AUDIO-INTERFACE

I don't know what is involved to install it but it is an option.

Saw that. Caveat: For vehicles produced from 8/2007 to 8/2010. Mine buggy is an '11.

Besides, the first part is +$200. Add labor and any other parts that are needed and it is quite cost-prohibitive (to me).

Edited by LostDenverite

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

As others have noted, CD-TEXT (aka CD+TEXT) is an update to the standard CD Audio format that has the wonderful benefit of storing the artist, album name and song titles. I have long been a fan of this feature (since the late 90s), but unfortunately the feature is not well supported by CD player hardware nor by the music publishing companies. It takes both a CD formatted in the CD-TEXT format and a CD-TEXT-supporting CD player in order to take advantage of the feature.

Fortunately, there are many options these days when burning your own audio CDs (for personal use, naturally) to add the CD-TEXT features on the fly. Audiophile properly alluded to this in his earlier post.

I should note that if you are an Apple iTunes user, it's VERY easy to create your own CD-TEXT audio CD from your own collection. When you go to burn a selected playlist to an audio CD, simply check the "Include CD Text" checkbox, and Voila! it will do it for you using the album, artist and track names you have in your iTunes library. In fact, if you're burning a regular audio CD, there's really no reason not to include the CD Text!

Unfortunately iTunes does not automatically read CD-TEXT when importing an audio CD, but I know that scripts do exist out there to help grab that info from a CD-TEXT compatible CD. In most cases though, the Gracenote CDDB (on the Internet) fills in the names anyway.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

When I get home later today, I'll see what software I use to rip my music CD's as it does go out to recover all of the track data. I also have an add-on application for iTunes (did I ever tell the story about me NEVER using iTunes?) that helps keep my music library cleaned up. It's not the software sold by Biz Markie (sp?) with his stupid helmet on so I'll have to be in front of the computer for that.

With nearly 20,000 MP3's, it was a tough chore to get it all organized but a couple of friendly applications running around the clock for a couple of days got it done.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I burn a lot of CDs for motoring, and find the lack of CD info maddening, as well. I use my Mac (iTunes) 2 burn them and have the 'include CD data' (or whatever it's called) option checked, but 2 no avail. Scoopie is an R53 w/the HK system, so I guess I don't have that capability in any case. :frown:

image.php?u=25&type=sigpic&dateline=1424

'scuuuuze me while I kiss the sky ~ Jimi

I burn a lot of CDs for motoring, and find the lack of CD info maddening, as well. I use my Mac (iTunes) 2 burn them and have the 'include CD data' (or whatever it's called) option checked, but 2 no avail. Scoopie is an R53 w/the HK system, so I guess I don't have that capability in any case. :frown:

I'm looking to move everything to an MP3 format and player for obvious reasons. Even though I don't have 20,000 songs like cmcveay, I still have too many buckets of CDs, and, I'm paranoid about something happening to them. Waayyy too expensive to risk damage by carrying them back and forth in my car. As it is my car CD holder is a steel case (acquired for carrying when hiking, back before MP3 players existed).

I burn my CDs in MP3 4mat, but it still doesn't work 4 me. Not planning 2 replace my HK system, tho, so I'll just motor on and try 2 remember 2 put the playlist on the labels I create. At least I'll know what I'm gonna listen 2 b4 slipping the CD in the player. :embarassed:

I'm looking to move everything to an MP3 format and player for obvious reasons. Even though I don't have 20,000 songs like cmcveay, I still have too many buckets of CDs, and, I'm paranoid about something happening to them. Waayyy too expensive to risk damage by carrying them back and forth in my car. As it is my car CD holder is a steel case (acquired for carrying when hiking, back before MP3 players existed).

I burn my CDs in MP3 4mat, but it still doesn't work 4 me. Not planning 2 replace my HK system, tho, so I'll just motor on and try 2 remember 2 put the playlist on the labels I create. At least I'll know what I'm gonna listen 2 b4 slipping the CD in the player. :embarassed:

I didn't type all of the words that were in my head :) I'm converting everything to MP3 to put on my iDevices, specifically my Shuffle to use in my MINI.

I didn't type all of the words that were in my head :) I'm converting everything to MP3 to put on my iDevices, specifically my Shuffle to use in my MINI.
If you're converting directly from non-compressed (e.g. CD) source material to play on your iPod, I highly recommend you convert to AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) instead of MP3. It's a far superior format, better quality sound than MP3, and no, it isn't a proprietary Apple format. It's a standard, just like MP3, and many devices support it, not those from Apple (not as many support AAC as MP3 though, that is true). It's a newer format that was designed specifically to be the successor to MP3, to the point that it is even stated as such by MP3's creator, Fraunhofer IIS.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Interesting ... I saw that option in iTunes and hadn't heard of it, let alone used it, b4. Will my HK CD player be able 2 play/read it? I don't use an iPod at all.

If you're converting directly from non-compressed (e.g. CD) source material to play on your iPod, I highly recommend you convert to AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) instead of MP3. It's a far superior format, better quality sound than MP3, and no, it isn't a proprietary Apple format. It's a standard, just like MP3, and many devices support it, not those from Apple (not as many support AAC as MP3 though, that is true). It's a newer format that was designed specifically to be the successor to MP3, to the point that it is even stated as such by MP3's creator, Fraunhofer IIS.

Interesting ... I saw that option in iTunes and hadn't heard of it, let alone used it, b4. Will my HK CD player be able 2 play/read it? I don't use an iPod at all.
Good question. I'm not sure if the 1st Gen head units can play AAC files. That would be worth a test. Maybe "sacrifice" a blank CD, put some AAC files on it, and see if it works?

BTW, if your music is already in MP3 format, there is no benefit to then converting it directly to AAC. In fact, it will make things worse.

Why?

Both of these formats use "lossy compression", which means that actual music data/information is thrown out when creating the file from the source material, in order to save space. Now, the amount of data that gets thrown out depends on the "bit rate" you choose, but data is always thrown out. So converting directly from one "lossy compression" format (e.g. MP3) to another "lossy compression" format (e.g. AAC) will only make things worse, because even more of the music data will be thrown out in the process.

The best results are to always convert directly from the original high quality source material (e.g. CD). So yes, if you've already "ripped" your entire collection to MP3, to go to AAC with the best results means starting over and re-ripping the entire collection again, directly to AAC. The higher the bit rate the better the quality... and the larger the resulting file(s) - the highest bit rate available is 320 kbps.

I'm using Apple lossless format. I hate the way mp3 kills the sound quality. (depth of sound stage, and loss of range)

The only drawback is the files are about the same size as the original music. But with a 64G iPhone I really don't care. Lol

No matter where you go, there you are!

I'm using Apple lossless format. I hate the way mp3 kills the sound quality. (depth of sound stage, and loss of range)

The only drawback is the files are about the same size as the original music. But with a 64G iPhone I really don't care. Lol

Actually, Apple Lossless saves you about 50% over the original source CD size. I'm a stickler for quality too. The problem is, I own over 1,200 CDs, and I like to carry my entire collection with me, but there's no iPod (or iPhone) that exists that will fit them all in Lossless format.

So... my compromise is this: I converted every CD to Apple Lossless first, to retain full quality for home use... and from that I then re-converted the whole collection to 320kbps AAC. It's the next best thing, the quality is almost as good as Lossless for way less space consumption. That way, I can fit it all on my 160GB iPod. Of course I used to, but it's now full... so I bought an iPod 5.5G and one of the compatible 256GB hard drives so I can continue to grow my collection without having to choose what I carry. :biggrin:

I keep both libraries (Lossless and 320kbps AAC) carefully separated, so I keep my options open.

Man, that's way too much work. There aren't that many songs I'd like to listen to...

I mean really, even the best albums only have 4 or 5 really good songs on them. No need to have them all.

(at least for me, just saying)

No matter where you go, there you are!

Man, that's way too much work. There aren't that many songs I'd like to listen to...

I mean really, even the best albums only have 4 or 5 really good songs on them. No need to have them all.

(at least for me, just saying)

Sounds like an opportunity to clean house and only convert the songs you actually listen to.

Yes, it was a lot of work, and took a very long time. One thing I should have clarified better though... I didn't need to load all 1,200 CDs twice. I loaded them only once, for the Lossless library, and then I used that library to do the conversion to 320 AAC... which went much faster as it was reading from the hard drive and didn't need to wait for me to insert the next CD.

I can appreciate that some songs are always better than others, but I am a bit of a "completist" so I don't like to be missing anything. Besides, if I'm sharing the experience when listening to my collection with someone else, I'd hate for one of their favorite songs to be missing from an album just because I decided I didn't like it as much.

In any case, I agree with you completely on the "low rent" quality of the typical 128 kbit MP3 out there, but should you ever find that you have a space issue with Lossless, give 320 kbit AAC a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.