cmcveay

Meet & Greet at Passport MINI of Alexandria

It's "Meet & Greet" time! This month, it will be held at Passport MINI of Alexandria from 9:30am to noon.

The address is: 5990 Duke St, Alexandria VA 22304

Please come join us for a casual get together with new and old members.

Non-members and soon-to-be members are welcome as well.

The RSVP option has been added so we can better plan for the vent but if you aren't able to RSVP, please don't let that stop you from coming out to join us.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I need a manly man favor at the Meet and Greet.

I got the new plates and and one of the screws is totally stripped and rusted. Anyone know how to get that sucker out? I tried WD40, but I can't get the screw driver to bite. Maybe it's just my crappy screwdrivers or maybe it's that I am weak like little girl.

OK, Mark tried too so it's probably our screwdrivers. Does anyone have a good phillips head that they can bring along that I can use to try and get this thing changed out?

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

i think im at the wrong passport...:frown::wink:

Celia, I finally got to meet your Dad and you are not at the wrong Passport. Yes, MINI of Alexandria has a bigger building and showroom, it is shinier, and the parking lot is... I don't know... 20 times bigger... but MINI of MoCo is a mini MINI dealership and I like it. It is not this cavernous space that doesn't fit MINI.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

One way or another Tigger can get his new plates tomorrow

Since TGGRRR needed some minor surgery from Passport to remove the plates (yes, three of us could not do it this morning), this can be a reminder to the rest of us to check the screws that hold your plate(s) on. Most of us don't change our plates often but I think you would want to be able to get them off if and when we need. If you have the same stock crews that came with the car they are probably plain steel screws. If they rust they can get stuck in the square plastic bushings in your car. An easy preventative measure is to first check the screws and see if they turn, go to your local hardware store, take a screw from the front and back plate in with you (mine are different) and get stainless steel or painted stainless steel screws and replace the original ones. Don't over tighten them when you install the new ones, the screws are going into plastic.

If you can't remove them, don't force them and ask your mechanic to replace them at your next service.

Since TGGRRR needed some minor surgery from Passport to remove the plates (yes, three of us could not do it this morning), this can be a reminder to the rest of us to check the screws that hold your plate(s) on. Most of us don't change our plates often but I think you would want to be able to get them off if and when we need. If you have the same stock crews that came with the car they are probably plain steel screws. If they rust they can get stuck in the square plastic bushings in your car. An easy preventative measure is to first check the screws and see if they turn, go to your local hardware store, take a screw from the front and back plate in with you (mine are different) and get stainless steel or painted stainless steel screws and replace the original ones. Don't over tighten them when you install the new ones, the screws are going into plastic.

If you can't remove them, don't force them and ask your mechanic to replace them at your next service.

Good advice!

Thanks for noticing that the new screws are like the old ones that rusted. So I do need to replace them with stainless

Tggrrr010.jpg

I enjoyed myself very much and am already looking forward to the next club event. T'was geat putting live faces to virtual/online bodies. Some shout-outs/appreciation for enlightening me further (please stand and take a bow):

• Craig - holding down the open button to roll down windows and pop roof
  • Bert - stubby antenna; license plate screw replacement (by way of Ali's predicament)
  • Sherm (Bert and another gent, sorry I can't recall your name) - upgraded dipstick & oil-checking for my S; nose mask for my already rock-chipped front :frown: (tell Jo I said "hey", enjoyed talking to her too); lowering rear headrest/removing stopper

That's all for now (but I'm sure you already know "I'll be back" :laugh:)

Edited by LostDenverite
Add more props for Sherm

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

And a big SHOUT out to Laura for pulling this together.

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

It is a lot of work to get us to gather and to haul all that stuff around. I don't know how she fits it all in Cricket. Membership SWAG, Scanger Hunt stuff, DCMM tag cards, DCMM Grill Badges, etc., etc., and so forth.

Thanks Laura!

How did they end up getting them off Ali? I'm having the same problem with my other car. I was able to get the front off but the backs are stuck!

I didn't actually watch because Keith told me it would be ugly and I just couldn't watch it. I think they drilled it all the way out and then replaced the plate frame. Then they used the same kind of screws as before so I need to replace them. Mine was the back too

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm going to try some more WD40 first. There's a license plate frame on the back so I think that might be the reason its stuck. I understand not wanting to watch!! :)

They told me there was no other way that my plate was coming off. Passport didn't charge much to do it, I think it was a little more then $20

Tggrrr010.jpg

you could try some needle nose pliers & wd40. i had a problem kinda like that. what you do its put one of the points in where the screw driver goes and the other on the outside of the screw and squeeze for dear life and turn. it worked for me so always give it a try

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.