Revwillie

VA State Inspection WRT driving or rally lamps?

Did VA laws change recently with regard to auxilliary or driving lamps?

What I knew from 2009 was that you can't have more than four forward pointing white lights with the ability to illuminate at the same time. So, since the xenon bulbs stay on when you turn on the halogen hi beams, any other lights have to be off. I never figured out how to rewire my rally lights to shut off when the hi beams come on. I disabled my rally lights to get around that so they are technically 'ornamental'.

Today, I was told that driving lights cannot be disabled. If they are on the car, they have to be working. Also, the above rule applies. When I asked how I passed for the past two years but not this year, the inspector said the laws change all the time.

On one hand, I totally understand laws that prevent big trucks with multiple rows of offroading lights from blinding other drivers. On the other hand, these are mini coopers. Minis and rally lights go together like [unending list of things that go together].

IMO, either the xenon bulbs should shut down when the halogen hi beams come on, or the the law should specify how many lights are allowed to point high vs. point low so that you can say the xenon bulbs don't count toward the total of four allowed.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm curious to hear if any other VA residents have run into this.

06 SB/S MCS Checkmate, Premium,

Convenience, LSD, HK, Chrome interior ZOOM641

Sean, My understanding is that covered lights aren't figured in. When I go in for my inspection, I just pop the covers on the lights and there's never been a question about it.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

NOTICE: The following is not legal advice or guidance. IANAL, not go I play one on TV or any other medium.

Here is a link to the Code of Virginia, Title 46.2 - MOTOR VEHICLES, Chapter 10 Motor Vehicle and Equipment Safety:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC46020000010000000000000

The code is searchable, but not exactly easy to interpret:hmmmm:.

Also found this guidance for state inspectors: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-160

I also found an extract of the relevant stuff on a Toyota 4Runner blog (http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/79676-important-legal-info-independant-fog-lights-va.html):

19VAC30-70-160. Auxiliary lamps: backup; cornering; driving; fog; spot and warning.

A. Auxiliary lamps on a vehicle consist of seven general types: backup lamps (SAE-R), cornering lamps (SAE-K), driving lamps (SAE-Y), front fog lamps with an amber or clear lens (SAE-F and rear fog lamps with red lens (SAE-F2), spot lamps (SAE-O), warning lamps (SAE-W, W2, W3), and daytime running lamps (DRLs) (SAE-Y2).

C. There is no limit on the number of backup lamps that a vehicle may have so long as they are of an approved type (SAE-R).

D. No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle.

I. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Vehicle has an auxiliary lamp being used for a purpose other than for which it was approved.

EXCEPTION: Any lighting device that is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection. Fog and driving lamps mounted below the level of the regular headlamps must be checked for aim as outlined in subdivisions I 10 i and 11 g of this section if not covered.

NOTE: The covers shall be a type that would be installed as original equipment and not tape, paper bags, aluminum foil or similar materials per subdivision I 11g (2).

2. A vehicle has installed on it a warning lamp (DOT or SAE-W) that is not of an approved type or has been altered.

Reject if the vehicle has wire, unapproved plastic covers, any other materials that are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of any auxiliary lamps: backup, cornering, driving, fog, spot, or warning lamps.

3. Vehicle is equipped with a combination of auxiliary lamps that include more than two fog lamps, or more than two spot lamps, or more than two driving lamps. Motor vehicles may be equipped with more than two fog or auxiliary lights; however, only two of these types of lights can be illuminated at any time. Reject a vehicle equipped with a headlamp mounted or used as an auxiliary lamp.

NOTE: Vehicles equipped, from the factory, with two driving lamps should not be rejected.

4. Vehicle is equipped with an auxiliary lamp that does not function properly. (If an auxiliary lamp has been modified by removing the wiring, bulb and socket, the unit will be considered an ornament and not a lamp and will not be considered in inspection.)

6. Any lamp is not of an approved type or if lamps to be burned together as a pair do not emit the same color light.

7. The lens has a piece broken from it. The lens may have one or more cracks provided an off-color light does not project through the crack or cracks.

10. Driving lamps are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected.

Inspect for and reject if:

a. Driving lamps are installed on vehicles equipped with the four-headlamp system, except the "F" type headlamp system;

b. A vehicle is equipped with more than two driving lamps;

c. Driving lamps are not of an approved type or have been altered;

d. The color of the lamp is other than white;

e. The lens has a piece broken from it or is rotated away from its proper position. The lens may have one or more cracks provided an off-color light does not project through the crack or crack;

f. Wiring or electrical connections are defective;

g. Any driving lamp is mounted above the level of the regular headlamps, or is not mounted firmly to prevent excessive vibration;

h. Driving lamps are not wired so that they will burn only when the high beams of the regular headlamps are activated;

i. Driving lamps are not aimed so that the center of the hot spot drops three inches in 25 feet so that the hot spot is directly ahead of the lamp;

NOTE: Driving lamps must be aimed using the optical headlight aimer. A tolerance of four inches in 25 feet is allowed in both the horizontal and the vertical adjustment.

11. Fog lamps are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected.

a. A vehicle is equipped with more than two fog lamps;

b. Lamps are not of an approved type (DOT or SAE-F on front or F2 on rear plus two-digit year and manufacturer) or a lamp has been altered;

c. The lens is other than clear or amber. Fog lamps may have black-end bulbs or small metal caps over the end of the bulb;

d. The lens has a piece broken from it or is rotated away from its proper position. The lens may have one or more cracks provided an off-color light does not project through the crack or crack;

e. Wiring or electrical connections are defective or filaments do not burn;

f. Any fog lamp is mounted above the level of the regular headlamps, or is not mounted firmly;

g. Lamps are not wired and aimed according to the following instructions:

(1) Fog lamps are general illumination lamps as covered in subsection A of this section. They must burn through the tail light circuit even if on a separate switch. If installed on a vehicle with a four-headlamp system, or a vehicle equipped with driving lamps, they must be wired into the low beam circuit.

(2) Fog lamps must be aimed so that the top edge of the high intensity zone is set at the horizontal centerline and the left edge of the high intensity zone is set at the vertical centerline. (Same as low beam headlights.)

NOTE: Fog lamps must be aimed using the optical headlight aimer. A tolerance of four inches in 25 feet is allowed in both the horizontal and the vertical adjustment.

13. Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs) are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected. DRLs must be installed in pairs.

NOTE: DRLs may or may not be wired into the tail light circuit.

a. Any lamp, except headlamps, used as DRLs if not an approved type (SAE-Y2) and is not marked "DRL";

b. Fog lamps or parking lamps are used as DRLs;

c. More than one pair of lamps is used and/or designated as DRLs;

d. A DRL is mounted higher than 34 inches measured to the center of the lamp;

e. The color is other than white to amber;

f. DRLs do not deactivate when the headlamps are in any "on" position.

Any DRL optically combined with a turn signal or hazard lamp must deactivate when the turn signal or hazard lamp is activated and then reactivate when the turn signal or hazard lamp deactivates.

Statutory Authority

§ 46.2-1165 of the Code of Virginia.

Edited by teamholly
To add additional information

Sean, My understanding is that covered lights aren't figured in. When I go in for my inspection, I just pop the covers on the lights and there's never been a question about it.

EXCEPTION: Any lighting device that is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection

Looks like a plan!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks for the advice.

The lights I have didn't come with covers.

I mostly followed Blimey's guide here: NAM link although my wiring is more similar to what a guy from Ontario did for some PIAA lights. (should have checked the VA laws first)

Honestly, mine are mostly 'ornamental' anyways. It's the angel-eyes effect I was going for. I even replaced the white LEDs with brighter ones I found on ebay.

I'm looking for plastic covers that can fit and give the appearance of 'installed as original equipment'. I might have seen decorative elastic covers once that could stretch to fit.

too much? 4X4 covers!

Edited by Revwillie

I don't have rally lights so I haven't run into this. Did you take it to Passport for the inspection? They are usually very reasonable to deal with

Passport let me slide on the disabled=ornamental clause. I had to go somewhere else on Friday after 4pm when Passport's inspector wraps up for the week.

Shopping for covers...

Sean, What kind of lights do you have? I have a pair of PIAA lights that I'm not using so you are welcome to use the covers if they will fit. I've also got a set of Hella 1000's and you are welcome to those covers as well.

I'm willing to bet someone in the club has covers that you can borrow for your safety inspection.

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Sean, What kind of lights do you have? I have a pair of PIAA lights that I'm not using so you are welcome to use the covers if they will fit. I've also got a set of Hella 1000's and you are welcome to those covers as well.

I'm willing to bet someone in the club has covers that you can borrow for your safety inspection.

Craig

thanks for the offer, but I should be able to figure something out by next August. I'm kind of digging the idea of the ones that say "4X4" on them :biggrin: