Gigi

Rear Fog Light Install for R56

Has anyone installed a rear fog light on a Gen2? I have an R56 and was told that the bulb, lens cover, dash toggle run about $100 but the programming is $1,000. A friend said the programming was $50 for his Gen1. Is there that much difference between the two generations? Or, did I get a $1,000 quote because the tech didn't want to fool with it?

Thanks y'all!

Depends on the year as to if it can be done.

Up to 2009, yes it can be retrofitted. Programming should only be about 1 hour of shop time at the dealer. So I assume you got that quote because they didn't want to mess with it.

for 2010 on.,,, can't be done at the dealer. It's not listed in the retrofit options in the service computer.

No matter where you go, there you are!

GiGi,

I'm working on the process/software to take care of the programming if you want to do this install. I should have it up and running by the time we get to the dragon. I'll keep you posted.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Thank You!!! I have my fingers crossed that I can install the light assembly at the D-I-Y Day at MINI of Dallas this Saturday. If not Saturday, the second quarter D-I-Y should be scheduled before the Dragon and I will do it then.

I am hearing some grumblings that I might not have the wiring harness in place for the light assembly. Is there any way to tell without having to pull off the bumper?

GiGi,

Without climbing under my car (09), i couldn't say. If you can get it up on a lift, take a look to see what wiring is there. If you can get under a 2nd Gen with the fog lights, it'll help you figure out where the lights are connected - something that may not be so easy to find otherwise. Good luck with it!

Guess what? I had the wiring already in place and it took about 2 seconds to snap the light assembly in. The dealership installed a toggle switch, a new face plate so that I have a picture of a rear fog light instead of blank space and reprogrammed the computer. It cost about $350. While not cheap, considerably less than the original $1,000 quote.

Now, for fog light part deux:

The fog light itself is just a big ol' red light - and I am happy to have it - but I saw a factory-installed fog light on a Gen 2 and it had a little chrome (or chrome-color plastic) ring around the light. There is a recessed area on my bumper where a ring would fit. I asked the dealership about getting the ring and was told I have to buy an entire chrome-line bumper in order to get that ring for the fog light. This can't possibly be true.

I tried to find the ring on a couple of after-market sites to no avail. Anyone have any thoughts?

Dig around on RealOEM to be sure what OEM parts (and their part numbers) are truly available. I'd look for you now but I'm on my iPhone right now and it's not as easy to do from here.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

THANK YOU! I think I found it. If I'm correct, it's part #51122753653 and its less than $25. The only thing I'm not 100% positive about is the pic of the part seems to have little tabs and I don't have slots in my bumper to accommodate those tabs or at least I don't think I do. Hmmm. How to install?

If there's a lip in there (I'd have to look at the behind of a 1st Gen to see), the tabs that you are seeing probably just click in behind that lip to hold it in place.

I hate to break it to you, but it does appear that the dealership was right, and that you need to have a special bumper cover for the chrome stuff. Here's the evidence:

RealOEM.com BMW R56 Cooper Trim, bumper, rear (up to 8/10)

If you look at the link above, there are indeed two different bumpers - one for the chrome package, one without. The part number you are looking for is referenced only in conjunction with the special chrome package bumper.

You could still order the part number anyway, pay your $25... and try to make it fit. As long as you don't damage the part, you could return it for a refund if it doesn't work.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I ordered the part. I've wasted more money than $25 on far more hairbrain ideas before so we'll see what happens. BTW, I've never let practicality or lack of skill get in the way of executing an idea.

Right now I'm thinking break the tabs off and stick the frame on with adhesive. My less practical idea is drillilng holes in the plastic bumper cover and attaching the tabs with rivets.

Maybe after I actually have it in my hands I will be inspired with other ideas.

Gigi,

Hey, did you ever do the install on the rear fogs?

I did. It turns out that I had the wiring tucked up underneath my bumper so no new wiring harness was necessary. The light snapped right in. The only thing ugly was taking the dash apart to install the toggle switch module. A dealership reprogrammed my car for about $350. As for the chrome (plastic) ring surrounding the light, I didn't want to drill holes in my plastic bumper so instead we snapped off all of the tabs and applied a construction-quality double-stick tape. C'est fini!